• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    A rimfire-only Appleseed tends to have a lot of more traditionally stocked semi-automatic rifles on the line: Ruger 10/22s and similar platforms, Marlin 795s, and occasionally a CZ, Remington, or Mossberg. This can give the impression that "black rifles" are frowned upon. That, of course, couldn't be further from the truth as folks who attend centerfire event can attest to - ARs dominate those events.

We do see AR rimfire conversions (and I have a good one to review later) and dedicated uppers on the line and some are capable of great accuracy and reliability. However, we have also seen some start to malfunction after a several hundred rounds which can be a great source of frustration when the most important targets (AQTs and the final Redcoat) come at the end of the day. I am not going to comment on the M&P 15-22, for obvious reasons, but there are other dedicated 22LR black rifle platforms out there and they can do just fine.

Tippmann Arms, best known for its paintball markers, recently released a line of M4-22 semi-automatic tactical rimfire rifles with aluminum upper and lower receivers and all the features of a centerfire M4 - functional forward assist, bolt catch (with last round bolt hold open not linked to an inserted magazine, unlike other styles), mil-spec fire control group, etc. The M4-22 is largely mil-spec compatible and will accept most AR15 stocks, handguards and sights without adapter kits. And, of course, a standard thread muzzle that will mount a rimfire suppressor with ease.

They released an Appleseed Edition rifle of their M4-22 PRO model with sling, mounts, Appleseed logo, and 2 10-round magazines. Call me a homer, but I ordered it immediately with 2 more magazines for 4 total.

It is a very nice rifle out of the box, but there were some things I thought could be improved:

• While it came with a traditional M-lok rail-mounted front sling loop mount I prefer a push-button QD sling attachment point to make it easier to get in and out of the sling. I also replaced their nylon sling with a cotton GI sling equipped with push-button QDs.
    • The trigger wasn't heavy, but it was very gritty. I tried to install two other high quality aftermarket triggers (LaRue MBT and Geiselle G2S) but neither would work with the proprietary safety. I finally found a mil-spec nickel teflon hammer and trigger set ($40 from Brownells) that not only worked but kept the trigger pull at a reasonable weight (5 pounds) and took away all the grit with a crisp reset.
    • The OEM stock was a bit wobbly and I wanted a stock with better area for cheek-weld and a push-button QD attachment point for the standing hasty sling. I chose the Magpul MOE-SL Mil-Spec Collapsible Stock, which is just the right kind of tight on the buffer tube.
    • I like shooting iron sights but I felt like a scope would benefit the most from the flattop and adjustable stock (managing proper eye relief can be difficult with a traditional fixed stock). I had a Primary Arms 6X SFP Rifle Scope with ACSS 22LR Reticle on a fixed stock, short integrated rail T/CR-22 and it was hard to find the right head position behind it. I added a low cost cantilever picatinny scope mount and had to mount it pretty far forward to get the eye relief right. But now it is perfect for me.

Ok, that was a lot of work and $135 (not including the scope and sling) before even getting it to the range. With my trust Appleseed mat, I went to the 25 yard lanes of Elite Shooting Sports.

Tippmann M4-22 Appleseed Edition at the Range with Mods

uc

The magazines are easy to load thanks to a button that exposes a load-assist knob. Opened up, they load very similarly to the aforementioned M&P 15-22 and I didn't have any issues with rim-lock.

I loaded two magazines with 40gr CCI AR Tactical, which tends to be highly reliable across semi-auto rifles, and 2 with CCI Standard Velocity (SV), which tends to be the most accurate non-match ammo. Rimfire rifles tend to like certain ammo more than others, but a thorough evaluation of other ammo will have to come later.

I put up an Appleseed Squares target (1-inch black squares and 1 MOA grid at 25-yards) and was within 2MOA right away with the CCI AR Tactical from the prone position. The CCI SV provided a wee bit tighter group, so I switched to that exclusively.

After a couple more sighters just to confirm zero, I switched to the Redcoat target. One thing I learned from the squares target was that the non-illuminated black dot on the PA scope could get lost in the black of the square. But it popped on the Redcoat target, which made it easier to shoot. And shoot it did - the first Redcoat with the rifle was relatively easy to clear, although they were not my best groups of the day.

Cleared Redcoat Target

uc

The only way to truly evaluate how a rifle will perform at an Appleseed clinic is to shoot an AQT in all of the positions. One note - while I did all the positions, I didn't time them (hard to do alone) and didn't do transitions (don't want to make RSOs nervous). But I shoot in my standard cadence for the stages in the rapid fire stages. So this process is more to understand what the rifle can do rather than the shooter.

A couple of observations:

• The full-length magazine (a bit longer than a 30-round PMag, even though it only holds 10-rounds) gets in the way on my normal standing position with the hasty sling. It was causing me to cant the rifle a bit and fight against it for the first couple rounds. But I finally found a way to tuck it consistently against my slung support arm and my groups tighted up. But cant was something I had to think about in all positions more than a traditional stock due to the mag length. Note that incidental pressure on the mag did not cause malfunctions, as it can on other rifles.
    • The $40 trigger and hammer replacement was worth every dollar - very smooth pull and positive reset without reducing weight or reliability. I was zeroing a T/CR-22 right after this and the reset was so mushy that I appreciated this trigger even more.
    • The adjustable stock was great - in dry fire practice I had it closer but moved it back a click at the range. I still shot with my nose right on the charging handle - and no gas blow back or anything. But being able to adjust was a nice change from fixed stock rifles.
    • I used a slight 6'clock hold on the prone targets due to my experience with the squares - using the top of the dot rather than the center. It helped me get a more repeatable sight picture and worked very well.
    • It has the AR "sproing" - if that annoys you, it will with this rifle as well. Yet another feature to make it like a real M4 I suppose.

So how did it shoot? Brilliantly - 242 out of 250!

First AQT: 242!

uc

Remember, this is the first time I have ever shot and zeroed the rifle (although I have shot ARs for years). But using the six steps, trusting my NPOA, and staying in cadence, it was all very natural once I get past the unique quirks of the rifle. This is a rifle that can shoot distinguised and maybe even a 250 if the shooter does his or her part.

I had no malfunctions at all through 83 rounds, mostly standard velocity. Certainly not an endurance test, but I have had new match-barrel 10/22s fail to extract and blow a timed course of fire. Let's call it a good start.

The Tippman M4-22 is an excellent rifle. I look forward to shooting the hell out of it!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am not going to comment on the M&P 15-22, for obvious reasons,

Why not?

According to the S&W rep I talked to, the 15-22s that fired out of battery were "modified" or more likely "hacked."

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Just for that reason - do not want to revive a conversation on it that is not going to get adjudicated on a forum. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    Why the absurdly long magazine that only holds 10 rounds? Is there an installed capacity limiter inside, and they just use one design? Or is it just a really inefficiently designed mag?

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Why the absurdly long magazine that only holds 10 rounds? Is there an installed capacity limiter inside, and they just use one design? Or is it just a really inefficiently designed mag?

It is a 25 round magazine restricted to 10 for MD, 15 for others. 22LR is single stack as well, which leads to longer magazines.May be similar to other mags in that the limiter can be removed but don’t know yet. I hope they come out with shorter mags at some point.

rootytootyshooty

Apr 12, 2019
    This is an excellent review -it seems that Tippmann has produced a quality .22. Might pick one of these up later.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Tremendous review. Few things please me more on the internet than a well-written product review or event AAR.

So total to get started with this was about $700? That doesn't seem outrageous, given than it's metal. I like my two S&W 15-22s (one factory, one I SBR'd and cut to 4.5") but they feel a little lightweight.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Tremendous review. Few things please me more on the internet than a well-written product review or event AAR.

So total to get started with this was about $700? That doesn't seem outrageous, given than it's metal. I like my two S&W 15-22s (one factory, one I SBR'd and cut to 4.5") but they feel a little lightweight.

Thanks! It’s $550 from Tippmann, plus transfer, plus extra mags and accessories. $700 seems right. GymRatz, an IP on the site, had also ordered a few but not sure if they are still in stock.

We had two folks running their own Tippmann M4-22s this past weekend in Annapolis at Appleseed, both qualifying as Rifleman. One had a Nikon scope and the other had Troy iron sights. Both ran for 2 days and over 500 rounds without issues.

I like my 15-22 a lot too - I love taking new shooters to the range with it to show them how fun black rifles are before moving them up to AR-15s. But really like the accuracy and solid feel of the Tippmann.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Very cool! I can't tell, does this use a proprietary magazine? I think so...not a huge deal of course.

Yes, they are proprietary. And I don't think there are any adapters for other mags at this point.

They REALLY need to come out with shorter mags though for those of us limited to 10 rounds. A couple of us found the length could induce some cant due to hitting your support arm if you aren't careful.

Took it out again this weekend - just as accurate as the last time. Point and shoot. Fun!

ziptiespec

You might be able to use the 10-rounds M&P15-22 magazines in this. I have a Chiappa .22LR AR upper and it feeds fine from the M&P15-22 mags - you just lose LRBHO. Nice review!

Edit: Nevermind, just re-read and saw that this uses proprietary magazines, not the Atchinson-style magazines.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Tippmann has always made gritty triggers. We used to spend a good portion of our time at the pro-shop I worked at in college polishing pins and sears to smooth everything out on the Pro-Lite, Pro-Carbine, and OG Model 98. At $20 a pop, it was easy money in the late 90's. I was a bit skeptical when they announced their re-entry into the firearms world after a 30+ year hiatus, but it seems like Dennis Jr. still knows how to do the work his dad started oh so many years ago.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Just an update to say that Tippmann has released short 10-round magazines.

Going to test at the range today but I think they are a winner.

They use the same "cover" design and loading assist as the longer magazines:

uc

But they are much shorter while still providing a surface for insertion and removal:

uc

More pics later.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Ok, that is pretty awesome!

Testing out a new Appleseed Edition version set-up as a loaner for 200 yard rimfire events. Will post a review this weekend.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    <snipped>
    [*]The trigger wasn't heavy, but it was very gritty. I tried to install two other high quality aftermarket triggers (LaRue MBT and Geiselle G2S) but neither would work with the proprietary safety. I finally found a mil-spec nickel teflon hammer and trigger set ($40 from Brownells) that not only worked but kept the trigger pull at a reasonable weight (5 pounds) and took away all the grit with a crisp reset.
    <snipped>

The safety is proprietary? it is changeble to a standard style or aftermarket ambidextrous one like a Radian Talon or the like to allow a "normal" trigger? (I really like the G2S and use it in most of my builds.)

Is the charging handle a standard AR15 one?

And lastly, does anyone know of a place thats somewhat local to Southern MD (though I routinely drive all over MD/DE/NorthernVA/SouthernPA so anywhere in MD even.) that normally stocks them? Preferably an IP here. I want to hold one and such before committing to ordering/buying one...

I want a trainer/plinker. I have a SW MP15-22 but its too much plastic feeling to be a true trainer for me.

Oh and any place in a free-er state that stocks the magazines?

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    The safety is proprietary? it is changeble to a standard style or aftermarket ambidextrous one like a Radian Talon or the like to allow a "normal" trigger? (I really like the G2S and use it in most of my builds.)

Is the charging handle a standard AR15 one?

And lastly, does anyone know of a place thats somewhat local to Southern MD (though I routinely drive all over MD/DE/NorthernVA/SouthernPA so anywhere in MD even.) that normally stocks them? Preferably an IP here. I want to hold one and such before committing to ordering/buying one...

I want a trainer/plinker. I have a SW MP15-22 but its too much plastic feeling to be a true trainer for me.

Oh and any place in a free-er state that stocks the magazines?

Good questions:

I believe the safety IS proprietary. It did not work the G2S or Larue MBT for me. I didn’t try to swap it out though with another safety. Might try that.

The charging handle is also proprietary to fit with the BCG. They have an extended lever version of the charging handle (like an old Badger tac latch) but you couldn’t use a BCM or anything.

Still, the last round bolt hold open and other ergos match an AR well. Would probably match the weight better with an aluminum rail.

GymRatz (great IP) said they had discussed stocking them. Mags are only available online right now.

If you want to hold one or even shoot one, I am in Southern MD too and happy to let you try it at a range.

I took my new one out and shot my best AQT score ever with it (246 out of 250).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Thanks for the answers.

Would a M&P15-22 charging handle fit it by chance? I doubt it though.

If the safety isnt changeable and I cant use one of my "normal" charging handles and triggers, I will probably just build a custom one on a lower with .22LR barrel/etc or buy one of the CMMG conversion kits or a PSA complete upper.

(I am picky lol I really like the Radian Raptor Ambi charging handles and Talon Ambi Safeties and use them on all my rifles. I am right hand dominant and shoot right handed, but have come to really like Ambidextrous controls.)

Outside of those the Tippmann seems nearly perfect as a trainer (for my use.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom