• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hey folks,

So, I'm trying to get a family member set up with her HQL, but before we go spending money on fingerprinting and all that, I wanted to ask about the training exemption. Back when I applied for mine, I followed the advice on a thread here and took my Texas Hunter Safety course, and provided that along with a letter provided by Nate from Engage Armament. My application went through no problem, but that was back in like 2015.

Basically, I'm just wondering if this still works for exemptions? And before anyone asks, yes, I have personally trained her in firearm safety both at home and at the range; she's been to the range with me several times, and is a competent and safe shooter.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Hey folks,

So, I'm trying to get a family member set up with her HQL, but before we go spending money on fingerprinting and all that, I wanted to ask about the training exemption. Back when I applied for mine, I followed the advice on a thread here and took my Texas Hunter Safety course, and provided that along with a letter provided by Nate from Engage Armament. My application went through no problem, but that was back in like 2015.

Basically, I'm just wondering if this still works for exemptions? And before anyone asks, yes, I have personally trained her in firearm safety both at home and at the range; she's been to the range with me several times, and is a competent and safe shooter.

Worked for me in late 2018. It was still $18 dollars then, but I believe it is $28 now.

Even applied for the HQL with the temporary email certificate. No issues.

I'd say with confidence that it'll work. It remains a DNR approved Hunter Safety Course, and therefore satisfies the training component for the HQL.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I took the hunter safety course in MD, and used that. It didn't cost me any money to get the license. It's still $50 for the application and $50 for the fingerprinting.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Buy a C&R-eligible gun. No HQL needed.

Once you own one, by the very fact of ownership you no longer need the training course if you choose to get the HQL.

And this will get you well under way toward your "Designated Collector" letter. Then $30 for your FFL03, and start getting fine old guns sent right to your door. Just like in America!

Slippery slope, but the slide into bankruptcy is fun . . .

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

Once you own one, by the very fact of ownership you no longer need the training course if you choose to get the HQL.

And this will get you well under way toward your "Designated Collector" letter. Then $30 for your FFL03, and start getting fine old guns sent right to your door. Just like in America!

I don't think this is right. If you own a "regulated" firearm, then you are training exempt. A C&R-eligible firearm is not considered to be a regulated firearm under Maryland law, which is why you can buy it without an HQL. I didn't chase down the law cites, but from the MSP website it says:

"Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component
    6. Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License."

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I don't think this is right. If you own a "regulated" firearm, then you are training exempt. A C&R-eligible firearm is not considered to be a regulated firearm under Maryland law, which is why you can buy it without an HQL. I didn't chase down the law cites, but from the MSP website it says:

"Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component
    6. Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License."
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

C&R handguns are regulated in Maryland. You need to do the 77r paperwork and wait . There is a checkbox to check if the handgun is C&R and no hql is Required

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    C&R handguns are regulated in Maryland. You need to do the 77r paperwork and wait . There is a checkbox to check if the handgun is C&R and no hql is Required

I get to check the box that says, "I learned something new today." Thanks. :lol:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Slippery slope like a great waterslide ride!!:lol2:

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    Hello Everyone:

Before, I make my comment let me first state, that I am have several NRA instructor certificates and I also teach the MD HQL and Wear and Carry Class. So here goes, why would you not want to take the MD HQL class? I understand the expense issue but I am sure you may learn several new topics while taking the class? The class itself may only take up six to eight hours of your time and unless and unless you are a master firearms instructor, there are still many things you can learn about firearms and their use from any class. Just being exposed to some of the other students may offer an different insight on firearms training. That is why I continue to take firearm classes at the Front Sight Training Institute located in NV? My point is this, there is something you can learn in any firearms class you take no matter how basic. It could be just getting a quick review of MD firearm laws which always seen to be changing. If class cost is an issue, look me up and I will gladly forgo the cost of the class for those who cannot afford to take the class. However, I cannot help you with the cost of fingerprinting. Just a thought. Dr. John

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hello Everyone:

Before, I make my comment let me first state, that I am have several NRA instructor certificates and I also teach the MD HQL and Wear and Carry Class. So here goes, why would you not want to take the MD HQL class? I understand the expense issue but I am sure you may learn several new topics while taking the class? The class itself may only take up six to eight hours of your time and unless and unless you are a master firearms instructor, there are still many things you can learn about firearms and their use from any class. Just being exposed to some of the other students may offer an different insight on firearms training. That is why I continue to take firearm classes at the Front Sight Training Institute located in NV? My point is this, there is something you can learn in any firearms class you take no matter how basic. It could be just getting a quick review of MD firearm laws which always seen to be changing. If class cost is an issue, look me up and I will gladly forgo the cost of the class for those who cannot afford to take the class. However, I cannot help you with the cost of fingerprinting. Just a thought. Dr. John

Just out of curiosity, what other enumerated Constitutional Right, requires mandatory training to exercise? If you can't name one, then why should there be one to lawfully exercise your 2nd Amendment right?

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hello Everyone:

With respect, because I feel it's an unnecessary cost, designed by the self-anointed few in Annapolis, to burden those less fortunate or on a budget from acquiring handguns. And when one is still working full-time, even as telework, finding time for a six to eight hour class during all the virus panic is another issue altogether. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that you're willing to work with folks and get them the training they need even at a loss, but in this case, we went for the exemption because it was unnecessary. If she still wants to get extra training, that's up to her; I'm not against classes, but taking them should be a choice, not a burden of entry to a Constitutionally-protected Right.

And to be honest, I kinda resent the dismissal that those of us who were taught to shoot by family seem to get these days. Pretty sure most of the boys at Lexington and Concord were trained to shoot by their fathers, same as I was. The NRA's only been around since 1871, and people had been hunting and shooting for over a century before then, at least. Just because self-important politicians in Annapolis say I don't know how to shoot without paying anywhere from $50-$400 for a class doesn't mean they're right.

I took the stupid iDriveSmart classes, too, but you know who really taught me to drive? My Dad, who was taught by his Dad. Remember when they put that requirement in along with the provisional licensing? Most folks hated it, even though driving's a privilege and arguably more dangerous than shooting, as you're driving a 3 ton bullet at high speeds, parallel to other 3 ton bullets, every day.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And to be honest, I kinda resent the dismissal that those of us who were taught to shoot by family seem to get these days. Pretty sure most of the boys at Lexington and Concord were trained to shoot by their fathers, same as I was. The NRA's only been around since 1871, and people had been hunting and shooting for over a century before then, at least. Just because self-important politicians in Annapolis say I don't know how to shoot without paying anywhere from $50-$400 for a class doesn't mean they're right.

I took the stupid iDriveSmart classes, too, but you know who really taught me to drive? My Dad, who was taught by his Dad. Remember when they put that requirement in along with the provisional licensing? Most folks hated it, even though driving's a privilege and arguably more dangerous than shooting, as you're driving a 3 ton bullet at high speeds, parallel to other 3 ton bullets, every day.

And I have taught shooting (NRA and NSCA certified instructor) and driving (Smith System certified and trained in track instruction). And trust me, the VAST majority of those taught by family do NOT know what they are doing. Because the family member that taught them did not know what they were doing.

Plus, they did not know how to teach.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    And I have taught shooting (NRA and NSCA certified instructor) and driving (Smith System certified and trained in track instruction). And trust me, the VAST majority of those taught by family do NOT know what they are doing. Because the family member that taught them did not know what they were doing.

Plus, they did not know how to teach.

Thank you for taking what was supposed to be a humorous example, and taking it way too seriously. I notice you didn't address the other points I made, however, so I'll just reiterate what Dblas said previously:

Just out of curiosity, what other enumerated Constitutional Right, requires mandatory training to exercise? If you can't name one, then why should there be one to lawfully exercise your 2nd Amendment right?

And frankly, your response proves my point. So, because there's one irresponsible shooter (or driver), that must then mean that all of us must be taught by the [insert authority name here], lest we be taught incorrectly by our ignorant plebeian/redneck family. That's an appeal to authority fallacy, and a cornerstone of every gun control argument. But hey, it makes instructors money while helping Annapolis trample on our rights, so, y'know. Good job.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    (Snip)

And frankly, your response proves my point. So, because there's one irresponsible shooter (or driver), that must then mean that all of us must be taught by the [insert authority name here], lest we be taught incorrectly by our ignorant plebeian/redneck family. That's an appeal to authority fallacy, and a cornerstone of every gun control argument. But hey, it makes instructors money while helping Annapolis trample on our rights, so, y'know. Good job.

I think you misread my question to him, It was basically why should training be mandatory to exercise a right. No where did I imply anything about requiring mandatory training by {insert authority name her} based on the failure of one person to be a responsible firearms owner.

You might want to go back and re-read it before you jump on someone that spends an inordinate amount of personal time fighting these ****ing rediculous laws. As a matter of fact, the more I re-read what you wrote, the more pissed off I get at it.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    I think you misread my question to him, It was basically why should training be mandatory to exercise a right. No where did I imply anything about requiring mandatory training by {insert authority name her} based on the failure of one person to be a responsible firearms owner.

You might want to go back and re-read it before you jump on someone that spends an inordinate amount of personal time fighting these ****ing rediculous laws. As a matter of fact, the more I re-read what you wrote, the more pissed off I get at it.

Whoa, brother. :eek: Think you misunderstood me; I was still talking to Pinecone after quoting you. I think you summed up what needed to be said perfectly, and those who would insist cititzens need a class still haven't addressed how anyone can put a training requirement on a Constitutional Right. That whole post was in response to Pinecone, not you; I was simply using your quote because I couldn't put it any more succinctly than you did.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Whoa, brother. :eek: Think you misunderstood me; I was still talking to Pinecone after quoting you. I think you summed up what needed to be said perfectly, and those who would insist cititzens need a class still haven't addressed how anyone can put a training requirement on a Constitutional Right. That whole post was in response to Pinecone, not you; I was simply using your quote because I couldn't put it any more succinctly than you did.

That was a really bad cut and quote then? If that's the case, thanks for the clarification.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thank you for taking what was supposed to be a humorous example, and taking it way too seriously. I notice you didn't address the other points I made, however, so I'll just reiterate what Dblas said previously:

Where did I say that training should be mandatory????????

You are putting words in my mouth.

I stand behind your right (WAY BEHIND) to be a lousy shot with a firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom