• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    dMxj4ld.jpg

ZGLM3SC.jpg

rZ8Wwwy.jpg

Unfortunately, the mlok adapter for the bipod hasn't arrived yet but, that's OK because it'll be next weekend before I can take it to the range anyway.

I think the Timney 640R trigger looks really good. Adjusted it to 2.25 lbs. because I'm not comfortable with a trigger pull much under that. The trigger on my old Rem 541T broke at 1.5 lbs. and I swear, if I looked at it the wrong way it would go off.

Went with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 on Leupold low rings. It should work well for what I want to do with it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Nice! Looks great, should be a blast.

I have a Ruger American Rimfire and like it. Bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire and it’s been in my safe for almost a year, haven’t shot it yet. Plan is to put my current long range scope on it and buy new glass for my long range rifle. Maybe by Spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Nice! Looks great, should be a blast.

I have a Ruger American Rimfire and like it. Bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire and it’s been in my safe for almost a year, haven’t shot it yet. Plan is to put my current long range scope on it and buy new glass for my long range rifle. Maybe by Spring.

Thanks! I've been going back n' forth on a .22 rifle for the past year and some of the things that attracted me to the RAR LRT were the features it incorporated from the RPR, like the adjustable cheek piece. The fact that it also used 10/22 mags sealed the deal. I was going to get a Tikka T1x until I saw what Beretta (Tikka/Sako's parent company) wanted for five and ten round magazines. Ouch.

So far, I've gathered-up this ammo for accuracy testing at 50-100 yards:

Eley Club
    Eley Team
    Wolf Match Extra (made by Eley)
    Federal Match Auto
    Geco Target
    Fiocchi Super Match

I just hope I didn't sell myself too short on magnification. 6-24x50 seems to be the optic of choice for most owners and I hope a 4.5-14x40 will do OK on a 30 MOA base. I guess I'll know next week for sure.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thanks! I've been going back n' forth on a .22 rifle for the past year and some of the things that attracted me to the RAR LRT were the features it incorporated from the RPR, like the adjustable cheek piece. The fact that it also used 10/22 mags sealed the deal. I was going to get a Tikka T1x until I saw what Beretta (Tikka/Sako's parent company) wanted for five and ten round magazines. Ouch.

So far, I've gathered-up this ammo for accuracy testing at 50-100 yards:

Eley Club
    Eley Team
    Wolf Match Extra (made by Eley)
    Federal Match Auto
    Geco Target
    Fiocchi Super Match

I just hope I didn't sell myself too short on magnification. 6-24x50 seems to be the optic of choice for most owners and I hope a 4.5-14x40 will do OK on a 30 MOA base. I guess I'll know next week for sure.

I guess it depends on how far out you’re taking it but that should be ok. With .22 at 300-500 yards you’ll need a ton of elevation, although that 30 MOA base should help.
    I didn’t have a bolt action .22 yet and one of the main reasons I bought the Ruger American was because I already had a bunch of 10/22 mags.
    I bought the RPR .22 for the same reason and I have an RPR in .308 so they are similar.
    I need to do some more testing with different ammo to see what they like best.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I guess it depends on how far out you’re taking it but that should be ok. With .22 at 300-500 yards you’ll need a ton of elevation, although that 30 MOA base should help.
    I didn’t have a bolt action .22 yet and one of the main reasons I bought the Ruger American was because I already had a bunch of 10/22 mags.
    I bought the RPR .22 for the same reason and I have an RPR in .308 so they are similar.
    I need to do some more testing with different ammo to see what they like best.

Honestly, <150 yards 99% of the time. The distance from my shooting position to the edge of the trees is approximately 130 yards. Doubt if I'll take very many shots beyond that.

I'll post some pics of 50 and 100 yard groups whenever I get a chance to shoot it next week.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Honestly, &lt;150 yards 99% of the time. The distance from my shooting position to the edge of the trees is approximately 130 yards. Doubt if I'll take very many shots beyond that.

I'll post some pics of 50 and 100 yard groups whenever I get a chance to shoot it next week.

Should be enough scope for that

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Honestly, <150 yards 99% of the time. The distance from my shooting position to the edge of the trees is approximately 130 yards. Doubt if I'll take very many shots beyond that.

If you zero at 50yds with 40gr 1235 fps ammo, should drop 13.6" at 130yds.
    At 250yds it's 82.9" drop from a 50yd zero! That's where the 30moa rail comes in.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    IgZxeSM.jpg

Today was the first chance I had to perform a proper 50-yard sight-in and brief ammo test. Overcast, 57 degrees, 88% humidity and general sogginess after a couple days of rain. It was forecast to be 67 this afternoon but, we never got there.

vD4Ii2v.jpg

My expectations were pretty low as far as my marksmanship skills go. It had been every bit of 25 years since I sat down at a bench and shot a .22 rifle. The last one I owned was a Remington 541T and considered it the gold standard for accuracy and trigger pull. That's why I didn't wait and ordered a Timney for the Ruger before I even shot it.

kzGcERf.jpg

Since I got such a late start, I only tested three types of ammo: Geco 40gr (high velocity), Wolf Match Extra 40gr (standard velocity) and Eley Club 40gr (standard velocity) and I gotta tell ya: I'm pretty satisfied. I'm also forced to conclude that all the previous user reviews I had read and watched on YT, saying 'meh' and 'not so great' about the Ruger American Rimfire Long Range Target, are BS. This thing shoots. I mean, fvck. Even with homemade 1" red dot targets and a complete idiot behind the trigger, it was capable of one-holing the Wolf and Geco and shooting very respectably with Eley Club.

FI5bgH3.jpg

Geco 40gr (high velocity) , twenty rounds. I shot this immediately after performing a successful 50 yard sight-in/zero.

UdcFpcQ.jpg

Eley Club 40gr (standard velocity)

RVHkeb3.jpg

Wolf Match Extra 40gr (standard velocity)

Overall, I really like this rifle. I thought I may have fvcked-up by not buying a Tikka T1x, like I originally planned but, Ruger did a great job with the LRT. The only thing that surprises me is that it doesn't get more love than it does.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Nice shooting!

As I'm sure you know, rimfires especially are notorious about ammo preferences. And what works great in your rifle, may or may not work well in mine.

The downside right now?
    That is to run your testing, find ammo your rifle loves, and then perhaps not be able to find and buy it in bulk. For what it's worth, I have found with rimfire especially, that what you really want to be able to do is to isolate not only a brand, but also the very same lot number, if at all possible. Then buy the hell out of it.

Nice review and nice rifle! Good Luck with it OP!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Nice shooting Tex!!! After this thread and your PM my American my hit the classifieds after i sight in my two AR pistols

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Nice shooting!

As I'm sure you know, rimfires especially are notorious about ammo preferences. And what works great in your rifle, may or may not work well in mine.

The downside right now?
    That is to run your testing, find ammo your rifle loves, and then perhaps not be able to find and buy it in bulk. For what it's worth, I have found with rimfire especially, that what you really want to be able to do is to isolate not only a brand, but also the very same lot number, if at all possible. Then buy the hell out of it.

Nice review and nice rifle! Good Luck with it OP!

Thanks, UD. Advice heeded. I just ordered two bricks of the Wolf Match Extra from the same place. Hopefully, it's all from the same lot because it shoots pretty good.

I can see why people enjoy shooting groups with a .22 because there's something very relaxing and 'zen' about it. I still have five other brands/types of ammo to test yet.

Nice shooting Tex!!! After this thread and your PM my American my hit the classifieds after i sight in my two AR pistols

Thanks! You won't regret it, if you can locate one for sale.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks, UD. Advice heeded. I just ordered two bricks of the Wolf Match Extra from the same place. Hopefully, it's all from the same lot because it shoots pretty good.

I can see why people enjoy shooting groups with a .22 because there's something very relaxing and 'zen' about it. I still have five other brands/types of ammo to test yet.

Thankfully i got time! I had never seen one of these until your thread. I’ve curbed a lot of buying due to 2 bathroom remodels right before Christmas lol.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thankfully i got time! I had never seen one of these until your thread. I’ve curbed a lot of buying due to 2 bathroom remodels right before Christmas lol.

Ouch! Yeah, I could see how that might put a serious dent in the wallet.

Well, don't let any mediocre online reviews dissuade you from considering this rifle. It's a shooter. The action is very smooth and I experienced no feeding and/or extraction issues thru 250 rounds today.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Zen you say? Ok, I'll go along with Zen. Zen is when you put 4 shots on top of each other.

Now if you should happen to meat bag the fifth shot? Like I somehow find a way to do pretty regularly?

There's another name for that. That ain't Zen. Suffice it to say, Zen leaves town. :)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great looking rig (nice pics). Glad it performed, perhaps even exceeding expectations. The Geco load (with minimal up and down spread) looks quite good. Should probably get more of that stock, if possible.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Zen you say? Ok, I'll go along with Zen. Zen is when you put 4 shots on top of each other.

Now if you should happen to meat bag the fifth shot? Like I somehow find a way to do pretty regularly?

There's another name for that. That ain't Zen. Suffice it to say, Zen leaves town. :)

OK, LOL, it's 'zen' compared to, say, practicing for a steel match and constantly missing one or two targets in an otherwise perfect relay. It's zen compared to bowling pin match practice when you're always leaving one on the table. I know what ya mean. By comparison, sitting on a comfy stool (don't tell my wife I borrowed one of her 'good' kitchen stools) casually shooting a .22 with a big dip of Skoal, strolling back n' forth to change targets every ten minutes seems more like an escape than work.

Great looking rig (nice pics). Glad it performed, perhaps even exceeding expectations. The Geco load (with minimal up and down spread) looks quite good. Should probably get more of that stock, if possible.

AfWtVKR.jpg

I snagged the last five boxes of Geco they had but, I'll buy it again when I can. It's very consistent.

As you know, this is the end of a long strange trip that started last year when I thought I had bought a Sako Finnfire from a seller on GB who swore they had it in-stock with immediate shipping, only to accept my payment and then send an e-mail the next day saying it was on galactic backorder with no ETA. Came close x2 to buying new, unfired Remington 541S's, a Volquartsen (resisted impulse) and a Tikka T1x. Never thought I'd end up with a Ruger, though...and liking it.

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Back out again this afternoon for another quick ammo test. Only had time to try-out one type but, I was impressed with the results, considering it was about ten degrees warmer this afternoon and there was a gusty 5-7mph East-West crosswind.

W5tI30v.jpg

Fiocchi Official 300. I thought this stuff might be made by someone else, kind of the same way that Wolf Match Extra is actually made by Eley. Not the case. Box says 'Made In Italy' and the Fiocchi logo is headstamped on the casings.

ScLirgN.jpg
    KvKuFBt.jpg

I took 15 warm-up shots and liked the way it was grouping at 50 yards before shooting that five-shot group. Not bad. I may buy more of this since it's the same price as the Wolf Match Extra.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    r2b894b.jpg

Back at it: 50 degrees, partly sunny, 68% humidity, wind: NW-SW gusts to 10mph.

As if my marksmanship isn't already impaired enough from the get go, Mother Nature decided I should practice shooting in gusty, unpredictable breezes all afternoon. Not that I minded all that much. Sun was warm. It felt great to be outside again after being coop'd-up for a couple of days.

nYDOvza.jpg

Shot off the bipod against my better judgement and a friend's advice. I just wanted to try it and it really wasn't too bad, I guess. I did use a rear supporting bag.

sYPVCD6.jpg

Eley Club. Wind would gust and go dead calm, gust and go dead calm. I just tried to keep them on paper but that one group on the bottom right was shot when it was pretty breezy. Seemed like no matter what I did, though, I had one flyer in every group.

Pg9bfls.jpg
    9wHZc3O.jpg
    vEE3FJX.jpg

Wolf Match Extra yielded the 'best' group of the day but nothing to write home about it.

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    XIH9BYx.jpg

Work has had me busier lately than a three-legged cat in a litter box but, I finally made it back out to the range with Punisher12B this afternoon to test some more ammo. Conditions weren't perfect but it was 53F, 65% humidity, light W-E gusty breeze.

O7lNheC.jpg
    63gUgr8.jpg

CCI Mini Mag

Considering I hadn't shot anything in the RAR LRT so far but standard velocity target grade ammo, I was eager to try some high velocity stuff and had a box of CCI Mini Mag that had been sitting in my ammo cabinet for about 3 years. I'm not surprised it shot well. This would be a load I'd use for hunting.

tTWerEN.jpg
    hJpF35Y.jpg

Norma USA Match

I wish I had bought more than 250 rounds of the Norma. It shoots like a laser at 50 yards. The last target was 10 rounds. The first five, I aimed dead center. The last five, I shot at the 2:00 position on the dot and damn near one-holed the group.

11cagDN.jpg
    sDYKxKH.jpg

Fiocchi Official 300

This stuff wasn't cheap ($11 per box) but now I wish I would've bought a brick of it because this rifle really seems to like it. These were some of the best groups I've ever shot with any .22 rifle.

G8hYp95.jpg

SK Rifle Match

I've read a lot about SK Rifle Match and how it's the favorite of RPR owners but, it was somewhat less consistent than either the Fiocchi or the Norma USA. I'd get three or four shots in one hole and then get two oddball flyers I couldn't figure-out. Probably me, not the ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom