• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    That rifle seems more impressive every time you take it out. The Fiochi group is incredible. Wow.

Thanks! It shoots extremely well with ammo it likes and, so far, there are three that stand-out: Wolf Match Extra, Fiocchi Official 300 and Norma USA Match. I think the jury is still out on SK Rifle Match. I'd like to shoot another box or two before I buy more of it.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Wow... I've never shot Fiocchi Official 300 in any rifle, but I'm definitely going to look into it once rimfire ammo starts flowing again...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Wow... I've never shot Fiocchi Official 300 in any rifle, but I'm definitely going to look into it once rimfire ammo starts flowing again...

ScLirgN.jpg

I'd never even heard of it but, it was the same price as the Wolf Match Extra so I got a few boxes to try-out. If I find any more of it, I'll PM you. :thumbsup:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    S7tnMyw.jpg

Anyone else get out today? Not bad: Overcast, 57F, 64% humidity and calm wind. Day off + zero wind - rain = my ass on the range. I bought 1000 rounds of Eley Club before I ever shot the RAR LRT and after some very mediocre results with it at first, I decided to give it another try.

C1F4Nwc.jpg
    9epmAUj.jpg
    fYXd7Qg.jpg
    fjNhuKv.jpg

Eley Club

Shot two boxes of Eley Club with more consistent results which I can attribute to shooting off the Harris bipod, instead of sand bags. The bipod allows me to really lean-into the rifle and get a nice steady hold with less shifting-around between shots. Plus, it's better practice. In hunting situations I won't have a nice front and rear sandbag to use.

This is more of what I expected from Eley and for $8-$9 per box online with free shipping, I'll buy more.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    S7tnMyw.jpg

Anyone else get out today? Not bad: Overcast, 57F, 64% humidity and calm wind. Day off + zero wind - rain = my ass on the range. ...

Yeah, someone was bragging that he had the range to himself. ;) Glad you had fun. The Eley did perform better, but I'm still on the lookout for the Fiocchi with a low shipping charge. :)

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    Great shooting time and again there. The rifle combo looks sharp too. I have a Ruger LRT on the way myself, and its good to see your consistent results. Pretty sure I won't be anywhere near that good with it, but I'm looking forward to practicing towards that end. Thanks for the range reports. Shoot and enjoy.

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    By the way, I was looking at the Tikka T1x or the Savage Mk II as well. I'm real happy to see you shoot so well with the Ruger LRT. Keep up the good work with her. Now I just have to wait for my order to come.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Great shooting time and again there. The rifle combo looks sharp too. I have a Ruger LRT on the way myself, and its good to see your consistent results. Pretty sure I won't be anywhere near that good with it, but I'm looking forward to practicing towards that end. Thanks for the range reports. Shoot and enjoy.

Thanks! You'll do fine. Once you get about 1000 rounds thru yours, you'll notice that your groups start to tighten-up with a wider variety of ammo. I was ready to write-off Eley Club but, stuck with it and now it shoots better than many other brands I've tried. But the Timney trigger deserves most of the credit. It changes the Ruger LRT from being a good .22 rifle into being a great .22 rifle. The only other change I intend to make is to switch-out the scope with something that has greater magnification than 14x.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Updated Optics

Jzafvrj.jpg

CqEia30.jpg

My Ruger American LRT has gotten kind of lost in the recent shuffle to get Steyr Zephyr II's and Sako Quads set-up but I haven't forgotten about it. The rifle deserved a better optic to take advantage of its long range abilities and after looking thru a lot of different scopes, I picked a Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 based on the quality of its glass, range of magnification and strength of its build.

If there was such a thing as an optical counterpart to CZ pistols and Škoda automobiles, it'd be Meopta. It's typical Czech over-built, about a pound heavier than it needs to be and I could probably hit it with a hammer and not even put a scratch on it. What impressed me the most, though, was the quality of glass for the price. and the fact that it's so fugly, it almost qualifies as a modern art masterpiece.

I'll soon be listing the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 that was on it in the MDS classifieds, with its Leupold 1" rings still attached, for a killer price. Someone who needs a good scope for their hunting rifle is going to get a very good deal. ;)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Jzafvrj.jpg

CqEia30.jpg

My Ruger American LRT has gotten kind of lost in the recent shuffle to get Steyr Zephyr II's and Sako Quads set-up but I haven't forgotten about it. The rifle deserved a better optic to take advantage of its long range abilities and after looking thru a lot of different scopes, I picked a Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 based on the quality of its glass, range of magnification and strength of its build.

If there was such a thing as an optical counterpart to CZ pistols and Škoda automobiles, it'd be Meopta. It's typical Czech over-built, about a pound heavier than it needs to be and I could probably hit it with a hammer and not even put a scratch on it. What impressed me the most, though, was the quality of glass for the price. and the fact that it's so fugly, it almost qualifies as a modern art masterpiece.

I'll soon be listing the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 that was on it in the MDS classifieds, with its Leupold 1" rings still attached, for a killer price. Someone who needs a good scope for their hunting rifle is going to get a very good deal. ;)

Zzzzz, I'm curious. Why the Meopta? Turret dialability vs. hunting type turrets on the Leupold, and desire for additional magnification seems the 2 most likely reasons.

But you mention glass. Hmmmm......

Having never owned one, but having owned a number of Leupolds, do you think the Meopta glass is also superior to the VX-3i?

One thing I've found with comparing scopes over the years is that it's next to impossible to look through them all. But there ARE surprises out there, good and bad both.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Zzzzz, I'm curious. Why the Meopta? Turret dialability vs. hunting type turrets on the Leupold, and desire for additional magnification seems the 2 most likely reasons.

But you mention glass. Hmmmm......

Having never owned one, but having owned a number of Leupolds, do you think the Meopta glass is also superior to the VX-3i?

One thing I've found with comparing scopes over the years is that it's next to impossible to look through them all. But there ARE surprises out there, good and bad both.

A friend recommended Meopta. It was a question of bang-for-the-buck. The Meopta's glass is every bit the equal of the VX3i's and the light transmission is outstanding. I also looked at Athlon, Vortex and Burris in addition to Leupold and I liked Meopta the best.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    A friend recommended Meopta. It was a question of bang-for-the-buck. The Meopta's glass is every bit the equal of the VX3i's and the light transmission is outstanding. I also looked at Athlon, Vortex and Burris in addition to Leupold and I liked Meopta the best.

Good to know, thanks! There's a whole LOT of stuff out there, especially when it comes to optics. Good luck and enjoy!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Good to know, thanks! There's a whole LOT of stuff out there, especially when it comes to optics. Good luck and enjoy!

XS5k8r1.jpg

The choices these days are simply mind boggling. Finding the right rifle is easy. Finding the right scope and rings combination takes a lot of experience and a good eye for what's going to set-up right and work well. It's always the most difficult decision for me to make.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    The choices these days are simply mind boggling. Finding the right rifle is easy. Finding the right scope and rings combination takes a lot of experience and a good eye for what's going to set-up right and work well. It's always the most difficult decision for me to make.

Very true! What makes it hard is that, with perhaps the exception of a gun writer, very few people have either the product access or the thick bank roll necessary to be able to sample much (and still certainly not most) of what's out there. The result of this reality is that product recommendations tend to reflect almost entirely what a user owns and understands personally, rather than any real broad based product comparisons. It's the reason why your mention of Meopta peaked my interest. Two thoughts with that. One, I have and can relate to the other half of your comparison, and therefore have a solid point of reference, as I know very well what Leupold's VX-3i is all about. But two, I personally know nothing of Meopta. I don't believe I've even looked through one ever. They are as foreign to me as the Leupold is familiar.

What can be especially fun with such comparisons is when you happen to come across good optics at great comparative price points. And sometimes that happens via word of mouth. Two solid value for price point examples in recent years that I have encountered have been Weaver's Grand Slam series from a few years ago now, and Bushnell's Elite from a few years further back. Both good scopes that became absolute steals IMO, given their eventual closeout prices.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Very true! What makes it hard is that, with perhaps the exception of a gun writer, very few people have either the product access or the thick bank roll necessary to be able to sample much (and still certainly not most) of what's out there. The result of this reality is that product recommendations tend to reflect almost entirely what a user owns and understands personally, rather than any real broad based product comparisons. It's the reason why your mention of Meopta peaked my interest. Two thoughts with that. One, I have and can relate to the other half of your comparison, and therefore have a solid point of reference, as I know very well what Leupold's VX-3i is all about. But two, I personally know nothing of Meopta. I don't believe I've even looked through one ever. They are as foreign to me as the Leupold is familiar.

What can be especially fun with such comparisons is when you happen to come across good optics at great comparative price points. And sometimes that happens via word of mouth. Two solid value for price point examples in recent years that I have encountered have been Weaver's Grand Slam series from a few years ago now, and Bushnell's Elite from a few years further back. Both good scopes that became absolute steals IMO, given their eventual closeout prices.

I had never heard of Meopta until a friend suggested I take a look. Turns out, they're quite popular in Europe and they've been in business since the 1930's. The Optika6 is their 'budget' line of rifle optics built in the Czech Republic and assembled here in the USA. I'm not 100% sure where they source their glass for the Optika6 line, though. I've read both Japan and Germany. The Meostar and Meopro lines definitely have German glass.

Euro Optic in Williamsport, PA is the only gun shop I know that carries Meopta's entire line of optics. If you ever find yourself up in that neck of the woods, I highly recommend that you stop by.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I had never heard of Meopta until a friend suggested I take a look. Turns out, they're quite popular in Europe and they've been in business since the 1930's. The Optika6 is their 'budget' line of rifle optics built in the Czech Republic and assembled here in the USA. I'm not 100% sure where they source their glass for the Optika6 line, though. I've read both Japan and Germany. The Meostar and Meopro lines definitely have German glass.

Euro Optic in Williamsport, PA is the only gun shop I know that carries Meopta's entire line of optics. If you ever find yourself up in that neck of the woods, I highly recommend that you stop by.

Interesting. I'll have to do that, thanks.

Funny....it wasn't too long ago that I wondered what the former Iron Curtain Czechs could build, that I could possibly ever want? Then I picked up a CZ P01.

Funny also nowadays that if you like polished blued steel and quality walnut, who'd have ever thought about Japan and Portugal? Well, funny in a way I guess, but a shame at the same time. Maybe just me, and lamenting a bygone era.

Let us know more about what you think of that scope, once we get some more good weather, and you get a chance to put it through its paces.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Thanks Zzzzz_man

Thanks to Zzzzz_man for an incredible deal on that Leupold scope. Here is it's new home on my Ruger American 22. Gun and scope were both bought from members of this forum. Can't wait to get to the range.

Attachments

• IMG_20210316_184615.jpg
      IMG_20210316_184615.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 232
    • IMG_20210316_184547.jpg
      IMG_20210316_184547.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 201

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks to Zzzzz_man for an incredible deal on that Leupold scope. Here is it's new home on my Ruger American 22. Gun and scope were both bought from members of this forum. Can't wait to get to the range.

That looks awesome! It was a pleasure doing business with you, sir! :party29:

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    If you're asking about mine, it's just the plain polymer stock that comes with the stainless steel barrel model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom