• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    Time are tough, I know, I know. I am running pretty low though. Getting desperate.

Whats the best out there, for local places that might actually have ammo? Any good days/times to camp out?

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Best advice is keep an eye on the internet. Sites like lucky gunner, ammo seek, etc will have stuff but you have to jump on it and it's usually at current market prices. 25 more posts and you'll have access to a whole thread dedicated to it.

EsBee

Sep 4, 2020
    What caliber ammo, type and quantities? I was able to get some 9mm ball ammo from SGAmmo.com not too long ago.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In these times , that's impossible to say .

Possibility #1 - In order to always have * something * in stock , they set prices such that only highly motivated buyers will bite.

Possibility #2- If they sell at " normal " markups over their current wholesale prices from their distributors , each shipment will sell out in a few days , until the next shipment .

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Would someone post their favorite fishing spots and the times when their attractive college aged daughters do yoga in front of the picture windows?

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Ii happened to be at the local Walmart a couple mornings ago. They had 15 boxes {333 } rounds each of Federal 22. I picked up a few for the heck of it. They were $17.25 a box. Also had 350 Legend and 458 . It was stocked at night. Have to be there when opening when or if they get it.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Midway.com has seemed to be the best place for me, but I haven't purchased any in a few months.

I've also purchased direct from Sig Sauer, although you need to act quickly when you get the "in stock" notifications. Like several minutes quick.

I found 2 boxes Federal Fusion 308 at Walmart for $22 a box a little while back.

You just need to make a habit of checking places out that you know occasionally carry ammo. You need to be diligent and patient and sometimes just plain lucky.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For example , I recently purchased some 9mm and .45acp at good for today prices from LGS , but I didn't post about it .

By the time I made my regular weekly drop in , he was to two boxes each . I bought one of each ( ie half his remaing stock ) . By the time anyone could have reacted to a post , they probably would have already been sold to walk in trade .

Priced @ $28 and $34 respectively , they were priced to sell . If they were hypothetically priced @ $ 45- 50 , they would last longer on the shelf, but would that be " better " ? For *Me* $28 reached my threshold for practice with a particular pistol for which I have ample carry loads, but minimal practice ammo. If someone has zero , or almost zero ammo in a particular caliber , their personal calculus would be different .

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    Gotcha, guess Ill have to learn to love online sales. So far I havent had much luck with gunbroker auctions. Maybe ammoseek stalking is the way to go

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    I've done most of my successful online shopping lately at palmetto state or American marksman. Most of the rest of recent buying has been through local friends and/or word-of-mouth. Good luck with the hunt for ammo.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Time are tough, I know, I know. I am running pretty low though. Getting desperate.

Whats the best out there, for local places that might actually have ammo? Any good days/times to camp out?

Befriend a Walmart or Bass Pro clerk maybe? They would know when shipments regularly arrive and stocking timeframe.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    I tried a local walmart, they were bare. Online has worked the best for me. A few times seeing new posts on gun.deals worked for me. While I was bored and hitting refresh i went through my old orders and created a spreadsheet. It was revealing as for me, this still isn’t as bad as January 2009 was for my price per round. Hang in there, good luck.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Would someone post their favorite fishing spots and the times when their attractive college aged daughters do yoga in front of the picture windows?

^^:lol::lol2:
    I'm still looking for the BEST gun, BEST ammo, BEST holster, BEST gun range......

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I just reviewed AIM's "common calibers" available email and yikes. What used to be $7.00/50 is now $30/50. Didnt realize the panic had gotten his bad.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    I just reviewed AIM's "common calibers" available email and yikes. What used to be $7.00/50 is now $30/50. Didnt realize the panic had gotten his bad.

Yeah, I’m hoping it trends like past spikes and maybe in a year we’re going back down in prices considerably.... then stack a little extra then.

Last edited:

jfinlay

Sep 18, 2012
    A wise friend once told me “you should have x,000 rounds for each caliber you own” where x is fill in your comfort level

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Yup,, not happening.
    I don't share fishing spots, hunting spots, women, or where/when reasonably priced ammo shows up.
    We are in survival of the fittest times,, Ammo is easily found,, you just have to "want" it. I stop 1-3 places a day in my travels, I have accumulated phone #s, I get up in the EARLY AM and check sites, etc. It's work, but easily done for those willing to put in the effort.

Choppin

Coming in hot
    Jun 22, 2020
    Fern-Dizzle
    It’s honestly not rocket science, the only way to get ammunition at a decent price is to head out of state and make a day of it. Just remember the early bird gets the worm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom