• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I would be one of those,, I am not a big fan of the AR platform,, but figured it would be good to have 1 (or 3) in the stable. I am more of a Ruger Mini type.

That said, Back in the early 80s, I could build a V8 engine with a strip of plasti-gauge and feeler gauges and have it 99% of the time "close enough"
    Yeah, guys with 5k worth of measuring tools could be 100%,, 100% of the time. But I got by and had no failures. (I now have the tools)

It appears that in the AR world,, you NEED the specialized gauges to check things out,, there is no "Plasti-gauge" ?

You just need to be careful. I have some gauges but certainly not what Clandestine has. The SOLGWs and BCMs of the world can only do so much in this market. If you have to buy do it with caution and when you have the ability to fully gauge take advantage of it.

I have several friends that have decided that now is when they want to get in the AR game, arguably one of the worst times for quality. We'll do our best to get decent brands and do QC and assembly. The rifles will run well and be assembled properly but they need to know they won't be perfect.

I purchased parts before the mad rush and have them stored. I distinguish between my pre rush and current purchases because they are different. No arguing that.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I would be one of those,, I am not a big fan of the AR platform,, but figured it would be good to have 1 (or 3) in the stable. I am more of a Ruger Mini type.

That said, Back in the early 80s, I could build a V8 engine with a strip of plasti-gauge and feeler gauges and have it 99% of the time "close enough"
    Yeah, guys with 5k worth of measuring tools could be 100%,, 100% of the time. But I got by and had no failures. (I now have the tools)

It appears that in the AR world,, you NEED the specialized gauges to check things out,, there is no "Plasti-gauge" ?

AR's are what they are...assembled a few back in the late 70's / early 80's
    tons of parts back then, Colt Parts, Sendra Lowers..
    Quality now is hit or miss...

more of a M10 / Uzi / MP5, HK / FN-FAL / Krink / AK platform guy
    oh 1911...some other kits also. it is what it is... not knocking anything
    or anybody. Assemble what you want..:D:D

Sounds about right, late 70's here BB Rat motors, used some of my dads
    machinist tools but not many (maybe one or 2), make sure the crank is
    straight, spins free, Key Chevrolet in Frederick loved me, the HiPro Catalog
    ...oh a Torgue wrench...

-Rock

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    AR's are what they are...assembled a few back in the late 70's / early 80's
    tons of parts back then, Colt Parts, Sendra Lowers..
    Quality now is hit or miss...

more of a M10 / Uzi / MP5, HK / FN-FAL / Krink / AK platform guy
    oh 1911... it is what it is... not knocking anything or anybody. Assemble
    what you want..:D:D

Sounds about right, late 70's here BB Rat motors, used some of my dads
    machinist tools but not many (maybe one or 2), make sure the crank is
    straight, spins free, Key Chevrolet in Frederick loved me, the HiPro Catalog
    ...oh a Torgue wrench...

-Rock
    I was a Pontiac guy back then…gotthe 400 to about 500 hp. Still am at heart..block is in the garage with a set of RAIII heads I was porting. Driving a Hemi Challenger now and poking around for a rolling chassis for the Pontiac mill. Planning on building the Challenger has kept me distracted for awhile. Expensive…I know that!

I’ve built a few AR’s. I have a small ‘battery’ to meet different applications. Still deciding if I like pistol grips on rifles. AR is the small block Chevy of the long gun world. Probably one of the most inherently accurate rifles even using decent quality parts.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

I can't afford all of the gauges that Clandestine has. I also can't afford every necessary car tool/gauge (I'm a car guy too). Many of my friends do have some of the things I would need so we help each other out. We have similar interests.

With that said, I don't believe it is remotely realistic for everyone to have (or have access) to those tools and gauges. However, by watching those videos Clandestine posts and reading good resources, you can gain an understanding of what to look out for. Things like torque wrenches and various drivers are universal and can be used for other things, like cars. Vise blocks, armorers wrenchs and pin gauges aren't that expensive. Headspace gauges are necessary but plenty of people have them.

Believe it or not, you'll be surprised to see how you can fix/upgrade some things via unsophisticated means on an AR. One fix calls for dropping a few quarters in the buffer tube. Some upgrades include a simple spring swap in a BCG and buffer.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I was a Pontiac guy back then…gotthe 400 to about 500 hp. Still am at heart..block is in the garage with a set of RAIII heads I was porting. Driving a Hemi Challenger now and poking around for a rolling chassis for the Pontiac mill. Planning on building the Challenger has kept me distracted for awhile. Expensive…I know that!

I’ve built a few AR’s. I have a small ‘battery’ to meet different applications. Still deciding if I like pistol grips on rifles. AR is the small block Chevy of the long gun world. Probably one of the most inherently accurate rifles even using decent quality parts.

Yeah man....nice and a Hemi sweet..
    Friend still has his Pontiac GTO Judge in mint condition believe it's Orange
    The Hemi's / 440 6-packs, Hemi-Cuda's, Superbird's, the muscle car era.
    Them dollars add up quick, almost dropped the hammer on a Dynacorn 69
    Camaro body, had the frame, 12 bolt Posi, ZL-1 motor, M22 Rock Crusher.
    other things came up..a "gear head long ago" Jerry's Chevy was selling
    "crate" motor(s) complete years ago.

like the comparision AR / Small Block ;)
    Pistol grips ..meh tried them..but that's a preference, I guess would have
    to get used to them. "assembled" most of mine back in 70's-80's.
    more of a M1 Garand / M1A person..my baby is a Devine M1A with the
    Leatherwood ART scope..dead on accurate.. anyway got hooked on building
    other things like you the 1911's ...do a little walk away..they can turn out
    great and works of art...

-Rock

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    …yeah…the 1911’s require ALOT less room to work on and less time to clean up and get ready to work on them!

The guns just became another another ‘hot rod’… same gig…different tool

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    …yeah…the 1911’s require ALOT less room to work on and less time to clean up and get ready to work on them!

The guns just became another another ‘hot rod’… same gig…different tool

we are a like....just another hobby here also... cost about the same
    more or less.and "lighter". I will put some feelers out for the frame

-Rock

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Raw materials for BCG's are skyrocketing. Good luck finding the same prices with good QC/QA.

I bought 5 blem Toolcraft carriers from PSA, one of them has a cam pin that only clears the gas key with quite a bit of effort. I have been able to just flick every other carrier I have ever had right out. Will be sending that one back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom