• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Delta Peach Bottom would be better but again no openings no waitlist.

Baltimore County Fish and Game you have to be sponsored. Not sure if it's one of those "ask someone to sponsor you" kind of things or if they really mean you have to happen to know someone in order to get in. Maybe someone around here can answer that.

AGC, nothing convenient to me. If I have to drive an hour every time I want to go I forsee it not getting used much. Course then again Quarryville is an hour away.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I think what it amounts to is that we all need more shooting ranges for our sport. I would personally like to see at least a few outdoor ranges open. I used to go to Free State indoor range when Randy first opened up. It was not many members back then. I liked it so instead of paying per visit I got a yearly membership and so did a friend of mine. We would simply walk in every Friday night and shoot. I could destress from a long work week. Then it was to where the DNR and security companies filling up the lanes. Before long there were young couples by the dozens. Many didnt know what they were doing and then trying to teach their Girl friends how to shoot. I would see gun jams and carelessly aiming pistol and prying in it and so forth. Aiming guns and back too far in aisles and more. Guys crawling under lane table and retrieving spent casings instead of using the squeegee pole. I didnt feel safe anymore and too crowded. Had to start waiting for a lane. I was not too much on the confined noise either. I quit going when my membership ran out. I was then going to the landfill in Westminster Carroll County shooting range. Yeah we need more ranges. Some people have to drive too far to a range

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    F* Freestate, havent been in there since 2012. Did a lower transfer, pulled out my CCW card for the numbers off it and the counter lady was like "you're a CCW holder", had a fit, said i need to disclose blah blah blah. Its a CCW you idiot, short of me filling out forms for my new lower you wouldn't have known i was carrying.

On return trip, sign at the door that said "ONLY UNIFORMED OFFICERS MAY CARRY OPEN/CONCEILED".

I finished my transfer, commented on their new sign and listened to their excuse about safety. I've never been back and told everyone I can they are anti CCW. Half the stories I've heard about their counter idiots pointing guns in unsafe directions showings off their skilz make me amazed no one has been hurt there.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    When people ask me why I hate Maryland, my answer never fails to mention that it's just too damn crowded. This post reminds me why I stopped going to indoor ranges.

That is 100% correct. The only time I enjoy being out and about in this sewer of a state is when something happens so that 50% of the people stay home. Whether that is a holiday, government closing, weather, or whatever. There are just too many damn people in this state. I even started making a video where every time I pull out of a space, turn on to a road, or even pull out of my parking spot at home, there is ALWAYS one driver perfectly in my way. Doesn't matter time of day or where I am at.

I can't remember if it was Freestate or Continental but the last time I was in either one I was adjusting the zero on my AR and seeing what happens to POI for short HD type of distances. Next thing I know some "dude" (like the infamous Ma'am video) with earrings comes up flapping his arms and screaming at me about POA/POI for about 30 secs before I told him to calm down and get away from me.

I wasn't sure if I should be more concerned about him grabbing my rifle or trying to rape me. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say maybe he was screaming bc of the earplugs, but either way it was extremely odd and I would imagine most sane people don't invade the personal space and scream at strangers who are holding a loaded AR.

I go to check out and crickets from the front desk like they never even noticed. Wasn't crowded on the range at all. It was eye opening the level of awareness was so low.

I loved shooting at AGC, but I found it was too far from me. I bought membership for last 3 years and just never made the trip enough to make it worth while.

I'm still working, so I have to be as efficient and a 1/2 hour back and forth to AGC adds up.

I am in the exact same boat. I've been 2 times in three years. I love the facility but I just never use it. Between weather, COVID, and having kids, it is difficult to find the time to go. There are multiple good reasons for me to go (zeroing rifles and shooting the 200yd range) but I can't justify the membership if I'm never going to show up.

blipper

MDS Supporter
    Dec 4, 2017
    Dundalk (Baltimore County)
    Freestate is fine on Friday during the day -- reservations so you're guaranteed time and not too many people. If they know you, they tend to check your weapons and ammo minimally, though it does vary according to time on their hands as well.

blipper

MDS Supporter
    Dec 4, 2017
    Dundalk (Baltimore County)
    I can't remember if it was Freestate or Continental but the last time I was in either one I was adjusting the zero on my AR and seeing what happens to POI for short HD type of distances. Next thing I know some "dude" (like the infamous Ma'am video) with earrings comes up flapping his arms and screaming at me about POA/POI for about 30 secs before I told him to calm down and get away from me.

Doesn't sound like Freestate as they have a rule that rifles have to be shot at their maximum distance of 25 yds.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Doesn't sound like Freestate as they have a rule that rifles have to be shot at their maximum distance of 25 yds.

This would have been about 10-12 years ago at this point. Continental was the first range I used when living up there, then Freestate. I was firing 3 rounds at 5yd increments. I don't remember a minimum distance being an issue.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Those of you who know me around here know I infrequently come here to start complaints. Enough negativity in the air. But damn the situation just really infuriated me.

Mall ninja bugging the guy next lane over did it honestly. That guy should be a politician, ignore real issues and harass those who just want to be left alone.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Those of you who know me around here know I infrequently come here to start complaints. Enough negativity in the air. But damn the situation just really infuriated me.

Mall ninja bugging the guy next lane over did it honestly. That guy should be a politician, ignore real issues and harass those who just want to be left alone.

I think my takeaway from your story is that your wife, who is a fairly new shooter was genuinely Afraid during the experience. A certain amount of rational concern and awareness of the dangers and risks involved is important. Genuine and rational fear is not necessary. That’s not the experience that and good business person wants customers to have, within their establishment.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I think my takeaway from your story is that your wife, who is a fairly new shooter was genuinely Afraid during the experience. A certain amount of rational concern and awareness of the dangers and risks involved is important. Genuine and rational fear is not necessary. That’s not the experience that and good business person wants customers to have, within their establishment.

Great point. My wife would absolutely lose it in the situation described above. She's a new shooter as well and I would never take her to Freestate based on my own experience. Guntry or AGC would be my choices for her first time out.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I gave up on Free state about 4 yrs ago when I first started seeing the "yoots" coming in with their girlfriends and cameras. Bad combination. I decided it was safer to drive 30 miles to Delta Peachbottom to shoot.

Sounds like the situation has only gotten worse at Freestate

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    I wrote them off 5-6 years ago when they wanted $90 to transfer a $100 rifle. There was some woman working the counter who was not a friendly person when I was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom