• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    :innocent0Who here remembers in the 60s and 70s and slightly beyond when you could buy Ammo and guns at almost any hardware store, or dept. store with a sporting goods section. :thumbsup:Who remembers when you could walk into a Western Auto supply store and buy a rifle if over 18? ;)Yep... in the mid to late 70s my uncle and I walked into a Western Auto and purchase a Marlin 30.30 off the shelf. They were sitting on a shelf in an isle in the box like any other merchandise. Anyone remember Zayres Dept store...where they had a sh!tload of guns in the sporting goods section? In the 60s when I was a kid my grandmother lived in the mountain area of western Va. the drugstore in the closest town sold ammo as we used to go there the buy 22 shells to use for target shooting. In the late 60s in Md in the DC suburbs our father used to take us to a public park to shoot cans with our BB guns and no one batted an eye.:sad20: All I have to say now is ....WTF happened!!!!:envy::mad54::tdown:
    Now Slow Buyden knows he can't take our guns we currently have so he wants to put pressure on the Gun and Ammo manufactures to squeeze them out of business. Can't let that happen folks.

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I remember throwing my AK on the passenger seat and heading to the range with no worries whatsoever about getting pulled over. I also remember students going hunting before school and parking their truck in the school parking lot with their rifles in a window rack. Nobody batted an eye. I also remember people saying what was on their minds without fear of reprisal. I remember Freedom and Liberty. Now I am called a "poor steward of Liberty" by people on this very forum because I question and stand up against what's going on in America.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I remember buying shotgun shells at Montgomery Wards in Weaton Plaza when I was in High School in the early 70's , I was nowhere near 18 but my buddy worked in Sporting Goods so he would ring me up and then we would go bust clays or shoot Doves .

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I still have a few passed down boxes of ammo from Kmart, Target and sears.

Dad grew up in the twin cities in the 60's and graduated in 1974, the HS had a rimfire shooting range in the basement. He tells me the stories of taking his .22 to school, it got 'checked in' and put in a locker with everyone else's during the day but beyond that... NOBODY gave two ****s and when you left after shooting practice you could walk home with your cased rifle and NOBODY thought anything of it. Now if you were carrying it like rambo and being stupid pointing it at people... then not so much.

Hell even up until the late 80's or early 90's it was nothing to see a populated gun rack in the back window at any of the high schools here in st marys during hunting season.

What happend ?

The left's war on guns has been a slow and methodical approach to make them taboo and out of place in society. With maryland being a text book example of boiling the frog. They cannot come right out and ban everything everywhere (they would sure love too) so it is easier to just keep passing more feel good BS and by default make everything illegal one little check box at a time. Handguns in MD being a good example.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I remember the hardware store in Bethany Beach (really Ocean View) sold shot gun shells as singles from an open box... I still have a bunch of Sears and Wards ammo in boxes. Abercrombie and Fitch used to be a high end gun and sporting goods company, my how that changed.

MDShooter20850

May 3, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    :Anyone remember Zayres Dept store...where they had a sh!tload of guns in the sporting goods section?

I worked in Sporting Goods at Zayre’s during high school. The one peculiar thing I remember was having to “log” all ammo sales in a notebook with the buyer’s name and drivers license info. We were on the Canadian border, so perhaps this was to minimize the sale to Canadians? Not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LeeM88

Mar 2, 2021
    I definitely remember walking to the Walmart with my grandfather to pickup some ammo. Then we would go next door to the liquor store, buy his lottery tickets and "reading materials" Ha!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I remember going into a department store change and picking up cans of powder and bags of shot off of the shelf. This was in Rockville no less.

Then there were the barrels of Swedish Mausers in the five and dime store in Frederick.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    I was 12 when my Mom bought me my Marlin Glenfield model 60 at Best in Pasadena. You ordered from a catalog, then waited by a conveyor belt for your item to come out.
    I probably jumped 3ft high when I saw that brown Marlin box !!!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    When I was 13 I could walk into a sporting goods store and buy 22lr for 39 cents for a box of 50.

When I came to DC in 1965 there were barrels of rifles at Sonny's Surplus. In 1968 I was gonna buy a Browning Hi Power from Atlas Sporting Goods in downtown DC for $117. Decided not to complete the sale because the wife might have used it on me.

Bought and sold a number of handguns without the intervention of the govt, before they made it illegal. I think the driving force for all the anti-gun legislation sprang from the politicians' awareness that they could be used on themselves. They weren't concerned much about the citizenry killing one another. Of course, there wasn't much firearms homicide back then either. People were not as violent, angry and just plain nuts. (The more or less intractably insane were confined for their own good and that of society. Now they drive public policy.)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i remember going up behind my grandparents' place in the coal hills of PA and shooting .22 all day, then walking down into town at the hardware store to buy a another brick for some more fun. those were the days.

sad and hard to believe how we've gone 180 so quick that now guns are reviled and have such a negative connotation. if we'd just put and keep the violent criminals in jail we wouldn't have a crime problem, but i guess we need them out on the street, voting...

Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    I still have a few passed down boxes of ammo from Kmart, Target and sears.

Dad grew up in the twin cities in the 60's and graduated in 1974, the HS had a rimfire shooting range in the basement. He tells me the stories of taking his .22 to school, it got 'checked in' and put in a locker with everyone else's during the day but beyond that... NOBODY gave two ****s and when you left after shooting practice you could walk home with your cased rifle and NOBODY thought anything of it. Now if you were carrying it like rambo and being stupid pointing it at people... then not so much.

Hell even up until the late 80's or early 90's it was nothing to see a populated gun rack in the back window at any of the high schools here in st marys during hunting season.

What happend ?

The left's war on guns has been a slow and methodical approach to make them taboo and out of place in society. With maryland being a text book example of boiling the frog. They cannot come right out and ban everything everywhere (they would sure love too) so it is easier to just keep passing more feel good BS and by default make everything illegal one little check box at a time. Handguns in MD being a good example.

I was in the Jr NRA in HS in the 70s. Our HS had a Gun club in which I was a member. In the basement we had our own gun range. A whole row of 22 rifles locked up in lockers there. We never even heard of school shootings then. In the 60s I lived right in DC. Our backyards butted up to alleys everyone knew each other. My friends older brother had a bb rifle. There yard was just 2 yards away from ours as we watched his brother and their father line up plastic army men at the end of the yard toward the alley and shoot army men. No one called the cops because no one gave a sh!t.:cool16:Yep...the 60s were cool...cool cars, cool music. A great time to be a kid.:thumbsup:

Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    When I was 13 I could walk into a sporting goods store and buy 22lr for 39 cents for a box of 50.

When I came to DC in 1965 there were barrels of rifles at Sonny's Surplus. In 1968 I was gonna buy a Browning Hi Power from Atlas Sporting Goods in downtown DC for $117. Decided not to complete the sale because the wife might have used it on me.

Bought and sold a number of handguns without the intervention of the govt, before they made it illegal. I think the driving force for all the anti-gun legislation sprang from the politicians' awareness that they could be used on themselves. They weren't concerned much about the citizenry killing one another. Of course, there wasn't much firearms homicide back then either. People were not as violent, angry and just plain nuts. (The more or less intractably insane were confined for their own good and that of society. Now they drive public policy.)

Yeh...I remember them being about that much. But I had to beg just to get the .39. I was lucky to have a nickel for the ice cream man.:facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom