• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    The NRA at 16th St and Rhode Island Ave NW

I used to park a few blocks away and walk over with my cased Mossberg .22 and shoot until closing time. No one batted eye. How about Memco Stores (or was it Gemco?). Bought a BP 1860 Colt there (early ‘70’s) for $40 and they had racks of Moisin Nagants for the same price. Heck, I took 2 semesters of rifle in college. And mass shootings were rare. It’s not the access to hardware, which has been increasingly restricted over the years. More restrictions won’t make people respect each other and choose to avoid conflict to solve differences but I’m afraid that’s where we are headed.

I was raised in PG County, less than about 300 yds from Southern Avenue, near Naylor Rd. I used to beg my father to drive me down to the old NRA Headquarters bldg at 16th and RI to visit the National Firearms Museum in the basement. It was huge, just one glass display case after another with no one around. For me, it seemed like a trip to Gun Nivranna! For him, it was just a way to shut me up for a few days. :D

Both Memco and GEM operated in the DC area, but I think GEM started earler, and went out of business earlier than Memco. My father bought my first gun, a Spanish '93 Mauser, at the Memco in Clinton as a Christmas present.

JoeR

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I remember Shipley's in Frederick forgot all about them
    Whitehall Guns off of Rt40 heading to Hagerstown
    There Was a Bow Shop mainly just out side Waynesboro Pa. had
    Colt's and Smith's cases full. Then Raplh Brown Trading Post
    in Jefferson. Maryland Gun Exchange on Rt 40, Richard Poole
    (Dick) built me some rifles way back then.

-Rock

bargains9311

Sep 29, 2020
    Remembering

Yes, Hechigers in Adelphi, Md, rolling out racks of Brit Enfields on Saturdays , choice 14.95, and talking my ever patient Father into letting me spend my grass cutting money on "just one more, please, please"!

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    In the 70's my father had a general store in Pa, he sold everything including bullets, he had shelves of them, boxes of black powder, and black powder supplies.
    Locals could/would bring their guns in and put them on a rack he provided in one area of the store. There was a small box of cut string, slips of paper and a few pencils. They would write there name, phone number, gun type, caliber and price on one piece and the price on the other, use the string to hang the price only on the barrel and give the other to my dad. He didn't charge anything for it, said if he could help someone out and maybe sell some bullets, and a sling, a new scope, it worked for him. If he knew the potential buyer and seller, he aloud them to take the gun out back and fire a few rounds across the field. I still have a Remington 20 gauge pump, he received in a promotion, for placing a large order of EverReady batteries.

Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    Yes, Hechigers in Adelphi, Md, rolling out racks of Brit Enfields on Saturdays , choice 14.95, and talking my ever patient Father into letting me spend my grass cutting money on "just one more, please, please"!

I remember the Hechingers in Adelphi/Langley Park, also remember the one on upper Ga. Ave. in DC. They always smelled like fresh cut wood and Mulch when you walked in the door.;

Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    I used to park a few blocks away and walk over with my cased Mossberg .22 and shoot until closing time. No one batted eye. How about Memco Stores (or was it Gemco?). Bought a BP 1860 Colt there (early ‘70’s) for $40 and they had racks of Moisin Nagants for the same price. Heck, I took 2 semesters of rifle in college. And mass shootings were rare. It’s not the access to hardware, which has been increasingly restricted over the years. More restrictions won’t make people respect each other and choose to avoid conflict to solve differences but I’m afraid that’s where we are headed.

In the early/mid 70s I was a member of the Jr NRA. My mother drove me down there to sign up.:party29:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Very strange. I was in MD through the 70s and 80s and don't ever recall seeing firearms for sale at many of the stores mentioned.

Maybe MoCo stores were different.

I do remember K-Mart selling firearms, including handguns, and ammo.

But not Hechingers or many of the others.

Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    Very strange. I was in MD through the 70s and 80s and don't ever recall seeing firearms for sale at many of the stores mentioned.

Maybe MoCo stores were different.

I do remember K-Mart selling firearms, including handguns, and ammo.

But not Hechingers or many of the others.

I remember Hechingers even in the 60s and never knew they sold guns. I think the poster is referring to a one time thing to just unload some surplus stuff they got a hold of. As far as other stores in Md. selling they were all over the place.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I remember Shipley's in Frederick forgot all about them
    Whitehall Guns off of Rt40 heading to Hagerstown
    There Was a Bow Shop mainly just out side Waynesboro Pa. had
    Colt's and Smith's cases full. Then Raplh Brown Trading Post
    in Jefferson. Maryland Gun Exchange on Rt 40, Richard Poole
    (Dick) built me some rifles way back then.

-Rock

Shipley’s is still around. Down the side of the strip mall next to Frederick Ford. I remember when they were in a storefront next to where Ollie’s is. Bought my original Directv receiver from them. Now it seems all they are doing is tv repair.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Herter's Catalog sold hand guns mail order. Their catalog was about an inch thick. Kind of like the ols Sears Christmas catalog for the sportsmen. Woolworth's in the Harford Mall had barrels of old military bolt action rifles and my father wouldn't let us get one because they were full of cosmoline and he called them junk. Mauser's, Enfield's, Mosins. He was right, but for a 12 year old they would have been great to play army with. The Montgomery Wards in the Mall even sold handguns, but their prices were high.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Bought a Ruger Single Six convertible from a Western Auto near Harrisburg PA in 1972. Still have it in the original box including the hang tag, I paid $89 for it. They're going for around $600 now:shrug:
    Had a rifle range in our High School in Pittsburgh in the 60's.
    Used to drive on the Navy base in the 70's with a shotgun and rifle in my Easy Rider rifle rack.

Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    Bought a Ruger Single Six convertible from a Western Auto near Harrisburg PA in 1972. Still have it in the original box including the hang tag, I paid $89 for it. They're going for around $600 now:shrug:
    Had a rifle range in our High School in Pittsburgh in the 60's.
    Used to drive on the Navy base in the 70's with a shotgun and rifle in my Easy Rider rifle rack.

I had a Ruger Single Six Bisley in 32 Cal. Absolute beautiful western style gun. I sold it a few years ago because the ammo was almost impossible to get. Is your a .32?

Attachments

• 100_1887.jpg
      100_1887.jpg
      78.9 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads