• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    OP, sorry for your loss! As others have said, the honor guard has to be requested. It can be requested by the funeral director on your behalf, through the VA or through the American Legion or VFW. You can also request a bronze marker for his grave.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Mack-C85 has it right. Maryland law requires military honors for anyone who requests it. Either the family did not request it, or could not find his discharge to request it (required). Having said that, the funeral director may not have told the family. In that case, you can file a complaint with the Maryland Board of Morticians. Not that it helps you any after the fact.

My uncle was in the Marines and was wounded on Iwo Jima. When he died, he had requested no military honors. I was at the grave after everyone else left. (I am a funeral director) There were Marines performing honors in the next section over. I asked the bugler if he would play taps before they lowered the casket. He did. Nobody else knew this, but I felt better.
    BZ big fella.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    My condolences.

I served as OIC for a few military honors burial details at Arlington before I retired. As I recall, the wait times for full military honors burials there was pretty long unless the person being buried died in combat - like six months after the person had passed.

Again, sorry for your loss.

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    Wrong! Just attended my BIL funeral at Arlington. He passed away on Mother’s Day LAST YEAR. Protocol is masks. You can still request a ceremony after the burial. That’s what the funeral home stated to me. Again, 72hrs is not enough time to plan and schedule these ceremonies.

The columbarium. Both my parents are interred there.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Mack-C85 has it right. My uncle was in the Marines and was wounded on Iwo Jima. When he died, he had requested no military honors.

A longtime family friend who was considered family passed away a couple years ago. He was also at Iwo Jima. He told me for years that the famous flag picture wasn’t the first flag raised an that the guys who raised the first one were killed. He also wanted no military honors.

He told me once that he did not want special treatment because he had managed to survive. He felt those who gave all were the ones who deserved the honors. I disagreed with him but never argued the point.

He along with both of my grandfathers returned home and resumed their life. None would ever talk about what they endured.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    hello op,

so sorry for your loss.

I don't know anything about how all the military honors works, but I do know that anger is attachment to suffering. Easier said than done, but don't let anyone get free real estate in your head. And whatever the reason for the missing honors, I would try not to let it be mixed up with thoughts of Pelosi and her crew. Like you, most things related to her really up my anger level as well, and I wouldn't want those feelings mixed with memories of a loved one.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    A longtime family friend who was considered family passed away a couple years ago. He was also at Iwo Jima. He told me for years that the famous flag picture wasn’t the first flag raised an that the guys who raised the first one were killed. He also wanted no military honors.

He told me once that he did not want special treatment because he had managed to survive. He felt those who gave all were the ones who deserved the honors. I disagreed with him but never argued the point.

He along with both of my grandfathers returned home and resumed their life. None would ever talk about what they endured.

My uncle, and most veterans of WW2, were the same way. None of his friends even knew he had been in the military. That is how he wanted it. They found out because I had his purple heart and ribbons in a shadow box and brought it to the funeral home.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I am sorry for your loss and I thank your grandfather for his service. It might have something to do with the CCP Virus.

As far as Camp Pelosi, the Guard in DC is more to make sure Joe doesn't wander off with the nuclear codes. I mean that is what it has to be right? The most popular President who got the most votes in history shouldn't need all the fencing and guards if everybody loves him.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    My uncle, and most veterans of WW2, were the same way. None of his friends even knew he had been in the military. That is how he wanted it. They found out because I had his purple heart and ribbons in a shadow box and brought it to the funeral home.

My father served in the Navy in the early to mid-50s. When he passed away he was the same way, he didn't want anything like that. They put the flag on his casket and at the cemetery two of his ship mates folded the flag and gave it to my mother. He was always proud of his service but didn't feel he deserved full military honors like that.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    My uncle was a decorated Marine, who survived serving in the Pacific during WWII, including landing at Iwo Jima. He NEVER talked about the war, and I was always told by my parents and aunt NOT to ask. When he passed away about 15 years ago, he was buried at the Michigan Veterans Cemetery. I think it was near Battle Creek. When I got to the graveside service, I was shocked, especially in light of the honors that he had accumulated, that they played taps on what amounted to a modified boombox, and that there were NO active duty military personnel present. There were, however, at least half a dozen volunteers, probably guys his age or older, who did everything they could to pay proper respect to my uncle, and his wife and my two cousins. God bless the greatest generation... I only wish there were more of them still around.

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    Nancy Pelosi and her ilk are shitty pansy millionaires who think the world owe them a favor. They play politics and get in power. They are not worthy descendants of this proud nation found by George Washington and his band of starving soldiers in Valley Forge. I never thought how much I despite the today Democrats.

Well, no worries. Pelosi can't live forever. Which is why she's making sure that her nephew (Gavin Newsome) is getting ready to take her place when she heads off into the gold-paved sunset of her retirement.

Yeah, think should be AWESOME, then! :sad20:

Sigfan77

Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    I feel your frustration. My BIL passed away and was due military honors. Being out in the country, we could not get anything. Me being active duty military, I researched the protocol and did it myself in uniform (recording of the taps, presenting the flag to wife and daughter and presenting his 82d ABN insignia)

I felt like he really got let down but the family was so grateful even though I probably bent some rules.:mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

"Upon the family's request, Public Law 106-65 requires that every eligible Veteran receive a military funeral honors ceremony, to include folding and presenting the United States burial flag and the playing of Taps. The law defines a military funeral honors detail as consisting of two or more uniformed military persons, with at least one being a member of the Veteran's parent service of the armed forces. The DOD program calls for funeral home directors to request military funeral honors on behalf of the Veterans' family. However, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) National Cemetery Administration cemetery staff can also assist with arranging military funeral honors at VA national cemeteries. Veterans organizations may assist in providing military funeral honors. When military funeral honors at a national cemetery are desired, they are arranged prior to the committal service by the funeral home." (https://www.cem.va.gov/military_funeral_honors.asp)

You missed the section in which it states: "Unless the psychos are holed-up in the 'People's House.' " At which time, I guess all bets are off...

:mad54:

Sigfan77

Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    Today my grandfather James O’Conor Gentry was laid to rest today, he past away March 3. He was a great man and the reason i even join the army were i served 7 1/2 great years. But the biggest disappointment today was he is one of our greatest generations, a WW2 veteran and because is was short noticed he didn’t get any military honors at his funeral. I feel that his county has betrayed him when get gave them his best when they needed him the most. I was shock that no one was there to at least fold is flag, i feel if they have enough troops for Fort Pelosi in DC at least they can send two guys up to say farewell to a WW2 veteran. It just makes my blood boil, i just cant believe it. I done funeral details before and we been called up 2 hours beforehand and always been there.

Rest in peace, Sir. And thank you so much for what we all enjoy every day.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Just as an FYI - This is an example of the bronze marker that the VA provides for deceased Veterans. It will be installed as a foot stone on a piece of granite at my Dad's grave..... We did have to pay for the granite and installation at the cemetery.
    864913a243e4b2f1b1d132aa6045f7bc.jpg

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Just as an FYI - This is an example of the bronze marker that the VA provides for deceased Veterans. It will be installed as a foot stone on a piece of granite at my Dad's grave..... We did have to pay for the granite and installation at the cemetery.
    864913a243e4b2f1b1d132aa6045f7bc.jpg

Does it not show what wars one might have participated in? Stone markers, Crosses and Star of David at Arlington do.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Does it not show what wars one might have participated in? Stone markers, Crosses and Star of David at Arlington do.
    I believe it would be fourth line, the question was asked on the form. The fourth line is free for script otherwise, and Dad had only served on one ship in peacetime (1956-57), hence we chose "USS Intrepid"

ETA - There are also multiple symbols available where the cross is between the dates.

Last edited:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    My condolences.

I served as OIC for a few military honors burial details at Arlington before I retired...

Again, sorry for your loss.

What he said. I had the honor of serving in the same capacity when I was stationed in Illinois. My team was called about once a month. We honored burials for all branches of service. It was the most difficult duty in my USAF time.

RIP. :patriot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom