• ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have 2 of them and love them. Wrote a review back in 2019:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?234156&p=5530985#post5530985

Largely, they have been reliable and very accurate. I have my highest AQT score of 246 (though not at an event) with one of my Tippmanns and they have scored well in 200yd Rimfire KD as well. Definitely capable of a perfect score if the shooter (meaning me) was.

A friend of mine loved the Tippmann so much, he bought one too and scored Rifleman with it at AGC a couple weeks ago.

I did have light strikes with one of them and tracked it down (after several other attempts) to the buffer tube not being screwed in enough from the factory. Tested both of them yesterday at BRGC and now working fine.

I do have one short 10-round magazine that is failure prone and the feed ramp can get gummy with wax, lead, and carbon leading to failures to feed if you don't clean it periodically (and easily) with a toothbrush. The long 10-round magazines can easily be converted to 25 round out of state.

Compared with CMMG conversions (which I also use and like), I prefer the last round bolt hold open (and that it doesn't close shut when you drop the mag) and it is more accurate. Cheaper than a dedicated CMMG upper as well.

Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    The furniture and receiver looks very similar to their airsoft co2/hpa ARs. Perhaps they were cut from the same block. If it's anything similar to the airsoft version, expect milspec furniture and handguards to easily drop in.

Personally, I would probably just stick with the airsoft version for backyard drills and plinking. Fun switch enabled, fairly accurate (many mods, aftermarket parts, and optimizations available), runs on air, kicks just like a 22lr, and ammo is dirt cheap.

f4f459e7baf2437af58723970f831f86.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Not familiar with their airguns (apart from paintball, which is a different operating entity even if with the same family ownership). But I would definitely put these guns in the same category as my high end 10/22s rather than as a plinker. The trigger is the only thing holding it back...and it is still highly capable.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    Not familiar with their airguns (apart from paintball, which is a different operating entity even if with the same family ownership). But I would definitely put these guns in the same category as my high end 10/22s rather than as a plinker. The trigger is the only thing holding it back...and it is still highly capable.

How would you compare the Tippman to the Smith &Wesson MP 15-22 ?

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    I compared them side by side at at the LGS and the Tippman felt more solid than the 15-22. Ended up taking the Tippman home.

csxt602

Oct 29, 2020
    Essex, MD
    My son got one back in December and loves it. Some of the parts are proprietary, and can't be switched out (bcg, charging handle, dust cover), but the trigger and furniture are, so he changed to a Hogue grip and stock, but likes the stock trigger. He loves it to plink with, but wanted something with more punch, so he's building a 5.56 AR rifle now. It definitely is more sturdy feeling than the M&P.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD

I have a S&W 15-22 as well and have shot the heck out of it - it is one of my favorite rifles for new shooters to show them how great an AR is.

However, I give the nod to the Tippmann - it is more accurate, more functionally similar to an AR-style carbine (dust cover, functional forward assist, aluminum upper and lower, including top-rail), and I like the magazines better (they also have a "dust cover", an integrated load assist button, and I prefer a mag with screws rather than a bonded/sonic welded polymer).

Both are high quality rifles in my experience though.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My buddy has a tippman 22 ar pistol and loves it. Says customer service is top notch. I'll try to get him to post his experience.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    Duffy's had a few in stock once when I was in there. The quality seems good. I shot one of the full auto versions and that was fun

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    There's absolutely no way you can own one of these and not love it. I did a drop in Timney trigger and have over 800 rounds through it. It's crazy accurate and too much fun.

Attachments

• 20210105_200522.jpg
      20210105_200522.jpg
      26.4 KB · Views: 232

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    Anyone used a shell catcher with their Tippmann ? Any recommendations for a specific brand/model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    I have one of the elite versions and like it. Mine is fairly reliable with mini mags but not as reliable with all brands of ammo as stated in the online reviews. Accuracy is great as stated. The fit, feal and looks are very close to an ar-15. I replaced the Tippmann stock with a Magpul. Got mine at Autumn Sky as I see your in Harford Co. I believe Top Gun is also a dealer.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Well, digging up a necro thread from a shallow grave. Considered everything mentioned in the thread and decided a few extra $$ in a descending panicked market on a 100 round count used unit was worthwhile. Complete with as issued poly sights and a Sig MSR red dot sight. Price was fair.

I shot it last weekend to zero. Fifty yards groups seemed 1” - 1 1/2” capable when I was doing my part using Federal Auto Match ammo. Clays at 100 yards are reasonably sized targets. Its purpose is to allow me to improve my carbine efficiency in steel and multigun matches. The sight matches the the size, weight, and purpose of a small bore action intended firearm. The 2 moa dot allows for useable precision.

Last edited:

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    What is the cost for one of these puppies?

I bought a new one locally for $599.00. (Duffys)
    It was only a few dollars more then mail order , plus I supported a local business. I have the M&P 15-22 also, I prefer the Tippmann.
    I put a Magpul stock on it, Knights Armament BUIS, and today installed a Primary Arms Red dot.
    Good luck, you will enjoy it.

Attachments

• Tippman.jpg
      Tippman.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl