• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Ruger 10/22 carbine. How accurate are these stock rifles with non-bulk ammo. Stuff like CCI Std Vel, or minimag hp? What about accuracy if you used good ammo like Midas +?

Seems like best bang for buck accuracy-wise is to have CTC re-cut the chamber, and put in after-market trigger parts helps the most?

Looks like you can go really go crazy $$$ modifying this rifles and sink some serious money into these things!

Thanks for your feedback!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Lots of variables as you can expect. And many people will go Mine is 1/4" only cause one time they shot 5 shots in a 1/4".
    a rough number I saw with mine, my son's, my dad's when purchased new and my friends (used) was 10 shot group of about 1- 1 1/2" @ 50 yards with zero wind.
    Take a bunch of 5 shot groups and one will come out sub 1"
    Front and rear bag supported, scoped.
    I put a Kidd Trigger on mine (before Ruger had the drop in replacement) and Bull Target barrel , Hogue stock and its about 1/4-1/2" @ 50 now with 10 shot group.
    With the suppressor on it, it averages on the lower end of that range.

22LR until you get to the higher end ammo, always has some fliers so you may shoot 10 5 shot groups and they will change each time.

Stock Barrel if you shoot too fast will heat up and that plastic ring holding it to the stock comes into play with harmonics and the POI walks some.

I have seen one that someone at the range had was bone stock and he shot slow enough his was 1/2" 10 shot groups @ 50 with SSI SV He shot 3 groups and they were all that tight.

When I got mine, I wanted the 10/22 target version but could not find stock. I ended up getting the sporter version cause I did not want the plastic ring on the front of the stock. I do miss not having a wood stock on it. I may change that one day and get an after market wood stock for it or just build up one from receiver parts and put my old stock/barrel on it and leave the stock sights on it.

Its actually my most accurate 22 right now but I'm thinking I may want an accurate bolt gun now.

that's my limited experience. I"m sure other people have theirs.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Ruger 10/22 carbine. How accurate are these stock rifles with non-bulk ammo. Stuff like CCI Std Vel, or minimag hp? What about accuracy if you used good ammo like Midas +?

Seems like best bang for buck accuracy-wise is to have CTC re-cut the chamber, and put in after-market trigger parts helps the most?

Looks like you can go really go crazy $$$ modifying this rifles and sink some serious money into these things!

Thanks for your feedback!

It is accurate enough for my purpose; recreational shooting using cheap ammo to keep my skill warm. My real rifle is 556 AR15. What do you want to do with it? Figure it out before you spend money on mods.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I have everything I need. I went down to 22lr to use cheap ammo to keep skills warming; turned out it is also hard to find for the right price.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Agree with everything said above - all depends on what you will use it for.

I have found that all the 10/22s I have bought or built (sporters, carbines, target) are capable of 4 MOA or better (1-inch at 25 yards) out of the box with standard ammo. They may like some ammo more (CCI SV is usually great for the price).

That might not sound that great, but like Melnic said, most people are citing their best group ever - I once had a one-shot group that I could cover with 1 .22 bullet :lol2:

For competition, a $300 trigger, new stock, new barrel, etc. is not going to make you a 1 MOA shooter with expensive match ammo if you are not a 1 MOA shooter or are using stock sights which can't be adjusted precisely :)

I would, of course, recommend Appleseed as way to see what you and your rifle can do before you start spending a lot of money. It will teach you what specific mods you likely need and what is more skill-based.

Happy to provide feedback on your current state - there are some easy mods for 10/22s that make them much better for not a lot of money. This community has a ton of experience to leverage, good and bad.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole on 10/22 upgrades, so I just focused on figuring out want ammo it likes.

I did mess with the stock screw torque to adjust the barrel harmonics a bit. I did this at the range to check the effect immediately. I marked and thread locked the stock screw once it was optimized.

My 10/22 really loves the aguila super extra stuff, so I save those as the cream of the crop. All the other ammo I purchased and tested are reserved as plinking ammo.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Thanks for the feedback so far! I'm not looking to turn the 10/22 into a Vudoo or Anschutz but was wondering if I could make it as accurate as my CZ 452 american without too much $$$. The CZ 452 was accurate right out of the box.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole on 10/22 upgrades, so I just focused on figuring out want ammo it likes.

I did mess with the stock screw torque to adjust the barrel harmonics a bit. I did this at the range to check the effect immediately. I marked and thread locked the stock screw once it was optimized.

My 10/22 really loves the aguila super extra stuff, so I save those as the cream of the crop. All the other ammo I purchased and tested are reserved as plinking ammo.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My 10/22 has displayed far and away the widest ammo preference tendencies of any rimfire I have ever owned. It was curiousity that made me want to buy a 10/22, as I had for years never owned what is quite possibly the most popular rimfire rifle ever made. It was Aguila Super Extra, as the only ammo I've tested in it so far, that really made me want to keep it. Never in a million years would I have guessed that.

It will shoot CCI standard pretty well also. At least 7 other brands though, and I'm working from memory rather than my notes, have run the gamut from surprisingly bad to downright awful.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Thanks for the feedback so far! I'm not looking to turn the 10/22 into a Vudoo or Anschutz but was wondering if I could make it as accurate as my CZ 452 american without too much $$$. The CZ 452 was accurate right out of the box.

That’s another variable. Is you CZ a decent shooter or a phenomenal shooter. If the former, it wouldn’t be hard to catch it. If the latter, replacing every part with a Kidd part may not get you there.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    My 40 year old 10/22 still puts 10 shots in a quarter at 25 yards with no problem provided I do my part. That's over the factory irons - no scope.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Thanks guy for the feedback so far! I was like Uncle_Duke regarding curiosity that had me get a the Ruger 10/22. I didn't have any real purpose for the rifle when I bought it. Still don't really, other than a fun plinker at the range. Perhaps would like to try a steel challenge with it. Got a Leupold 4x28 rimfire scope on it. I heard CCI std velocity ammo generally does well in the 10/22.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Thanks for the thread on this as it reminded me I’ve been wanting a bull barrel for my 10/22 and Ruger hadn’t had them in stock until tonight so I ordered one.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A good number of years back I built a 10/22z It was full rifle weight heavy. Shot tight groups.

Now my formula for a blasting grade 10/22 I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole over (descriptive expression used above) is bed the receiver and just in front of it. Bed a pressure pad at the front of the stock (about what is created by 4 pounds of upward deflection force). Install a Ruger BM trigger pack in it. For $75 in upgrades you have a decent blaster.

Another thought, buy a 795 Marlin, add a trigger kit and you are done. The accuracy is already on the gun.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    A good number of years back I built a 10/22z It was full rifle weight heavy. Shot tight groups.

Now my formula for a blasting grade 10/22 I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole over (descriptive expression used above) is bed the receiver and just in front of it. Bed a pressure pad at the front of the stock (about what is created by 4 pounds of upward deflection force). Install a Ruger BM trigger pack in it. For $75 in upgrades you have a decent blaster.

Another thought, buy a 795 Marlin, add a trigger kit and you are done. The accuracy is already on the gun.

Makes sense to me as well.

No knock intended toward the tinkerers amongst us, as it's a hobby and a good one for many in it's own right. But FOR ME, I could never see myself buying a 10/22, and then having only the original receiver left by the time I got finished with modifications.

I can certainly see the utility of and the desire for a trigger replacement on this rifle though. Again to me, that's the mod the 10/22 would benefit from the most.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I just ordered one of these GunGner 10/22 stocks to make use of the abundance of spare AR parts I have lying around. Lighter than the wood stock, adjustable length of pull for all my kids and myself, rails, and a good AR style trainer........for $62 including shipping I figured I couldn't go wrong. Will report once I get it installed and have the kids make use of it. No issues with stock rifle accuracy with wood stock but the advantages of this chasis system made it a no brainer for me.

https://gungnerinc.com/

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What everyone said .

Very oversimplified answer - Well within expectations for a semiauto sporter , with Sporting chamber .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom