• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    Hello, my name is Mike, and I’m a gunaholic.

I’ve been lurking in the forum for about a year, signed up for an account about 6 months ago, and am finally ready to publicly admit my addiction….

Oddly enough, prior to nine months ago, I had never owned a firearm before….hadn’t even shot one since I was a kid back in the late 70’s and early 80’s when I would go goose hunting with my family and get to shoot my father’s 12 gauge or 410 after they were done hunting.

Last June when things were burning down at an alarming rate, I decided I needed to get something for home defense and went with a pump shotgun since I wasn’t entirely unfamiliar with them, albeit from a number of decades earlier. Problem is, I rediscovered what I had known as a kid, that shooting is a LOT of fun. And even with the cost of guns and ammo over the last year, it’s still a hell of a lot cheaper than owning a boat (given the number of posts I have read on this forum regarding tragic boating accidents in which innocent firearms were lost to the sea, I’m guessing everyone here is aware of the ludicrous cost of boat ownership).

Next thing you know I’m bringing home an AR before they are completely outlawed (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it). Sometimes you need something with a high capacity mag just in case there are more zombies attacking your house than you counted on when you bought the shotgun.

And with the price of 5.56 ammo, wouldn’t it make sense to get an M4-22 that I could train with that would simulate the AR without breaking the bank on ammo costs? Hey, that will pay for itself in only a couple years with the cost of ammo! Another no-brainer, fiscally responsible purchase…

So Christmas rolls around, and it is time to decide what to get for myself (my wife and I both pick out our own presents and then just “exchange” them at Christmas…works really well….neither of us has even been disappointed in a gift). I had just taken a Basic Combat / AR course, and the instructor was really into long range shooting and was talking up the cool sounding weekend course he did several times per year. Hmmm….going to need something with a bit more range than the AR…..an epiphany! A Ruger Precision Rifle for Christmas! (Yeah, I know….I’m going to shoot my eye out) I’m still waiting for the scope I ordered during a Black Friday sale to come in almost four months later, but with the cost of 6.5 Creedmoor right now, I figure it might be 2024 before I can actually shoot the thing anyway.

You know what’s next….all these long guns and no pistol….remedied that last month. Shame of it is, with the current 9 mm ammo prices, I am probably going to have to look into getting a .22lr pistol to plink with until ammo prices come down. I mean, fiscally responsible again, right?

As if all this wasn’t bad enough, Tactical Shepherd opens up less than two miles from my house late last year. Yeah….I’m a coke fiend and Pablo Escobar sets up shop next door….that’s going to work real well. (On a serious note, the training there is excellent….I have taken the HQL and AR course already, and I’m signed up for the pistol and shotgun courses in April and May…I would take the AR course every time they offered it if ammo prices were not so insane).

And lastly, I blame you people for driving me to join SLCFSA….with all of your recommendations it was impossible to resist. Now I am going to need even more ammo…you folks are killing me…..

I need some serious help…..and do I win some sort of prize for longest intro post ever?

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Welcome from a little hamlet west of Frederick-- I'd caution you against this heavy mainlining you're engaged in but... Seems to me you're a GAM and a chance acquaintance should never step in where angels fear to tread. Having said that--may god have mercy on your bank account!

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Welcome! Also from the Eastern Shore.

I can attest to boating life having experienced the 2 happiest days of my life as a boat owner :lol2:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Hello, my name is Mike, and I’m a gunaholic.

I’ve been lurking in the forum for about a year, signed up for an account about 6 months ago, and am finally ready to publicly admit my addiction….

Oddly enough, prior to nine months ago, I had never owned a firearm before….hadn’t even shot one since I was a kid back in the late 70’s and early 80’s when I would go goose hunting with my family and get to shoot my father’s 12 gauge or 410 after they were done hunting.

Last June when things were burning down at an alarming rate, I decided I needed to get something for home defense and went with a pump shotgun since I wasn’t entirely unfamiliar with them, albeit from a number of decades earlier. Problem is, I rediscovered what I had known as a kid, that shooting is a LOT of fun. And even with the cost of guns and ammo over the last year, it’s still a hell of a lot cheaper than owning a boat (given the number of posts I have read on this forum regarding tragic boating accidents in which innocent firearms were lost to the sea, I’m guessing everyone here is aware of the ludicrous cost of boat ownership).

Next thing you know I’m bringing home an AR before they are completely outlawed (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it). Sometimes you need something with a high capacity mag just in case there are more zombies attacking your house than you counted on when you bought the shotgun.

And with the price of 5.56 ammo, wouldn’t it make sense to get an M4-22 that I could train with that would simulate the AR without breaking the bank on ammo costs? Hey, that will pay for itself in only a couple years with the cost of ammo! Another no-brainer, fiscally responsible purchase…

So Christmas rolls around, and it is time to decide what to get for myself (my wife and I both pick out our own presents and then just “exchange” them at Christmas…works really well….neither of us has even been disappointed in a gift). I had just taken a Basic Combat / AR course, and the instructor was really into long range shooting and was talking up the cool sounding weekend course he did several times per year. Hmmm….going to need something with a bit more range than the AR…..an epiphany! A Ruger Precision Rifle for Christmas! (Yeah, I know….I’m going to shoot my eye out) I’m still waiting for the scope I ordered during a Black Friday sale to come in almost four months later, but with the cost of 6.5 Creedmoor right now, I figure it might be 2024 before I can actually shoot the thing anyway.

You know what’s next….all these long guns and no pistol….remedied that last month. Shame of it is, with the current 9 mm ammo prices, I am probably going to have to look into getting a .22lr pistol to plink with until ammo prices come down. I mean, fiscally responsible again, right?

As if all this wasn’t bad enough, Tactical Shepherd opens up less than two miles from my house late last year. Yeah….I’m a coke fiend and Pablo Escobar sets up shop next door….that’s going to work real well. (On a serious note, the training there is excellent….I have taken the HQL and AR course already, and I’m signed up for the pistol and shotgun courses in April and May…I would take the AR course every time they offered it if ammo prices were not so insane).

And lastly, I blame you people for driving me to join SLCFSA….with all of your recommendations it was impossible to resist. Now I am going to need even more ammo…you folks are killing me…..

I need some serious help…..and do I win some sort of prize for longest intro post ever?

Welcome, I often have diarrhea of the keyboard as well. And I relate, I had no guns in the house for years until a year ago, just some old long guns that have stayed with my parents out of state. Then lockdown happened and I got a handgun and got into training and shooting steel. Then riots happened and the threat of major gun control overreach and now I have an AR and got into 2-gun. Next up, a good semi auto shotgun and 3-gun. It’s an addictive pasttime for sure and the MD gun community is overwhelmingly welcoming and good people.

Make sure to join MSI, gun rights needs a lot of support here and our state and local governments are working very hard to turn us all into felons.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Welcome!

I would recommend that Mike and Gremlin both stay away from SLCFSA when the Cowboy Action shooters are competing or there will be additional expenses.

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    Thanks for the welcome folks!

Welcome!

I would recommend that Mike and Gremlin both stay away from SLCFSA when the Cowboy Action shooters are competing or there will be additional expenses.

Yeah, that's unfortunately on my list of things I want to go take a look at up there... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom