• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Took advantage of the weather and hit the range to check my T/C Compass after mounting it in an Oryx chassis, changing the bolt handle to a Glades Armory handle (https://gladesarmory.com/product/thompson-center-compass-stainless-cross-hatch/) and upgrading the trigger with the M*Carbo spring kit (https://www.mcarbo.com/thompson-center-compass-trigger-spring-kit.aspx). This rifle shot really well before these changes but now it is nothing but light strikes. Tried several brands of 308, both military and commercial and also stripped the bolt but didn't see any grease, oil or debris that may have affected the firing pin. The firing pin seems to protrude through the bolt more than the dimples on the primers of the misfired rounds and the bolt face is smooth and clean. Unfortunately, I don't know what the spec is for firing pin protrusion. What else should I look at before putting all of (or one component at a time) the factory equipment back on?

Last edited:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would add the easy things back first and see if it solves the issue. If not, get back to all factory and then add things one at a time. Primed cases could be done at home without the range trip.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I would add the easy things back first and see if it solves the issue. If not, get back to all factory and then add things one at a time. Primed cases could be done at home without the range trip.

Didn't think of using some primed only brass to test. Will give that a try today - Thanks

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Might be stating the obvious, but I would speculate that the new spring kit is causing the issues. My TC compass in 308 has been dead nuts reliable over many rounds, including a handful of Tula steel cased stuff and milsurp loads.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

Thanks, again, for the tip ohen cepel. The first step that I did, was changing the after market bolt handle back to the factory bolt handle. Now it goes bang every time and the primer dimples are consistent. I'm reaching out to the after market bolt manufacturer for their response.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Update: Switched back to the factory bolt handle and no more light strikes. Reached out to Glades Armory and they immediately shipped another handle. Put in the replacement handle and 10 for 10 on firing with consistent dimples on the primers. Kudos to Glades Armory on quickly making it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom