• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    If things do go bad hopefully the new demand for SBRs spurs development of a fold to side collapsing stock with very long length of pull.

In the age of 3D printing I can’t believe a good solution isn’t already available. I think the lack of stock options to comply with the 29” rule is holding more people back from SBRs then the $200 form 1.

One option would be a 3d printed AR receiver that has something like an integral BetterMag, which is a device that lets you use 15-22 mags in a normal AR15 receiver with your 22lr conversion kit. With that fused into the magazine well, there would be no way to use a centerfire magazine so it would be exempt from MD's 29" rule.

Attachments

• Better Mag.jpg
      Better Mag.jpg
      27.7 KB · Views: 484

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I wouldn't say it's the lack of stock options that's holding people back. It's one of those things that if you're smart to know that it matters you're also probably smart enough to find the options. Pretty much any barrel over 11-1/2 in gets it done. One of the longer buffer tubes buys you a shorter barrel if you like. etc etc.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I wouldn't say it's the lack of stock options that's holding people back. It's one of those things that if you're smart to know that it matters you're also probably smart enough to find the options. Pretty much any barrel over 11-1/2 in gets it done. One of the longer buffer tubes buys you a shorter barrel if you like. etc etc.

Talking about SBRs in general, not exclusively AR pattern in 556. PCCs with barrels under 7 inches come to mind. Everything is trending shorter. I also see buffer tubes becoming less popular as new designs like the Brn180, jackl and mcx take over part of the AR market.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    One option would be a 3d printed AR receiver that has something like an integral BetterMag, which is a device that lets you use 15-22 mags in a normal AR15 receiver with your 22lr conversion kit. With that fused into the magazine well, there would be no way to use a centerfire magazine so it would be exempt from MD's 29" rule.

I actually have a AR22 pistol with batter mag set up. I think you can SBR them now without permanent modification. Some other member have gotten theme approved.

Might look into doing mine but want to make sure I like it and don’t plan to sell it down the road. I guess Form 4 transfer time and added cost is another huge downside for cheap builds like my AR22.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    IF you get the federal SBR approval does that not exempt or trump the 29.xx" Md length?

No, Federal SBR approval is contingent on meeting MD's minimum length. For MD applicants, the gun has to be legal in MD to be approved as an SBR.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I actually have a AR22 pistol with batter mag set up. I think you can SBR them now without permanent modification. Some other member have gotten theme approved.

Might look into doing mine but want to make sure I like it and don’t plan to sell it down the road. I guess Form 4 transfer time and added cost is another huge downside for cheap builds like my AR22.

Did they apply saying the caliber is 22LR, or did they need to provide additional details?

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    So if you have an AR pistol with no brace or stock, can it still be considered an SBR? Just wondered with all the talk of possible trying to make ones with braces SBR’s.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So if you have an AR pistol with no brace or stock, can it still be considered an SBR? Just wondered with all the talk of possible trying to make ones with braces SBR’s.

Probably not without a stock. An SBR is an SBR until it is not. Meaning, you can take an engraved SBR and slap a 16" upper on it and it will cease being an SBR until what time you convert it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom