• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am looking to upgrade the stock on my Ruger 10/22 and trying to decide between the Hogue Overmolded and the Magpul x22 hunter. There are some pluses and minuses of both so I thought I would post the thread to see who went with one or the other and why. I like that the x22 has the reversible barrel channel because I could go to a bull barrel and not need to buy a new stock again. I also like the mlok options. On the Hogue I like the feel and the price. My current stock it wood. I like the looks of the wood but that's where it ends. Although it is very accurate as is. Thoughts??

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    If you are carrying it, I suggest the Magpul. The takedown is an even better option IMO. If you will just be shooting it off a bench or prone at a range, the Hogue overmold is heavy and comfortable. It makes a very stable platform.

My first and IMO, most important upgrade for a 10/22 is the trigger group. There are lots of options from the .25 cent DIY trigger job all the way up to a full blown Kidd drop in trigger, with lots of options in between. There are pages of options on rimfire central. I also drill the clean out hole in the rear of the receiver, just to facilitate easier barrel cleaning, but that is not absolutely necessary.

It is a shame that bricks of plinking .22lr has become so relatively expensive compared to where it was just 10 years ago.

I hope you find what works for you.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    scott_s_10-22.jpg

I put a laminated silhouette stock on mine... form and function!

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    If you are carrying it, I suggest the Magpul. The takedown is an even better option IMO. If you will just be shooting it off a bench or prone at a range, the Hogue overmold is heavy and comfortable. It makes a very stable platform.

My first and IMO, most important upgrade for a 10/22 is the trigger group. There are lots of options from the .25 cent DIY trigger job all the way up to a full blown Kidd drop in trigger, with lots of options in between. There are pages of options on rimfire central. I also drill the clean out hole in the rear of the receiver, just to facilitate easier barrel cleaning, but that is not absolutely necessary.

It is a shame that bricks of plinking .22lr has become so relatively expensive compared to where it was just 10 years ago.

I hope you find what works for you.

Have you used both? I have not seeing the Hogue in person yet. I am surprised you said it was heavy. I wouldn't have thought that. Good to know. I do agree with you about the other upgrades. And yes I have already done them. I went with all Kidd stuff including the single stage drop in trigger at 2.5 lbs. It is awesome. The only thing I didn't do yet was the barrel and stock. Not in any real hurry to do the barrel because like I said mine shoots very accurate as it is.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a Hogue with a bull barell and a take down that I eventually will put in a Magpul. The Hogue is a nice range rifle, and is more accurate and consistent than I am. After trying the Magpul take down X22, I knew that I will eventually do that just to make it an easy rifle for walking around and simple bag storage. The take down in a Magpul stock just feels lighter than the Ruger take down furniture, but I admit that I haven't weighed them both. Right now, my best and lightest walk around .22lr rifle is a Marlin 60. I have a 795, but the tube magazine and a Spee-D-loader is a full day of walk around in the woods fun.

The Boyd thumbhole laminate does look pretty, and I bet it shoots well.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I have had both. Now I only have the Magpul. It really just fits better. It's lighter and you can adjust LOP.

The Hogue is a big upgrade from stock though and quite a bit cheaper. I bought mine on ebay for $60. The Hunter is twice that

454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    I previously also ran the Hogue stock...it was nice, but not as nice as the Victor. I have no experience with the MagPul on a 10/22, but on a mossberg 500 it is fine.

Last edited:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have the Victor, Magpul, and Hogue stocks. I would recommend the Victor every time.

The Magpul is heavier than it should be, especially with the spacers and risers. It requires more accessories too for mounting slings and fit.

The Hogue has some flex which detracts from accuracy and has a low comb which I had to add a riser to.

You can use the Titan on a standard profile barrel - it will just be that much more free floated (just tried it myself). Everyone who checks out the Titan loves it.

I have also come to love the Blackhawk Axiom stock. It is relatively cheap, free floated, super light, and adjustable for LOP. Doesn’t feel as nice as the Titan, but a solid choice.

None of them are bad options. Just my 2 cents.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I have the Houge and love it, but you can't go wrong with either. I do like the grippiness and weight of the Houge, and the LoP is great for me (I'm tall with long arms).

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    I have a 10/22 with a Boyd's Monte Carlo stock that still has the tapered barrel.
    My question is how much accuracy is gained by installing the Bull Barrel?
    BTW, my tapered barrel seems to shoot pretty darned good as it is. Is the Bull Barrel really worth the $$ and will I see that much of a striking difference in accuracy?

454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    In my experience....good quality heavy barrels almost always shoot better than standard barrels. Typically, heavy barrels come with "match" chambers, and that is a large gain in accuracy.

I have used Tactical Solutions and Green Mountain barrels and both have shot well. I also tried a "no-name" bull barrel that only shot "OK". I may try a Kidd barrel next...I like my current Tactical Solutions barrel, but want a little more barrel length.

Only you can answer the question of "is it worth the money"...Personally, I think the ammo used can be as important as the barrel.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I just treated my 35+ year old 10/22 (still has factory tapered barrel that shoots better than I can) to an as-new factory walnut stock I bought off Ebay for an embarrassing low price. Gun looks great and the extra length of pull is very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom