• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    When purchasing an AR upper kit, in order for the complete rifle to be legal in Maryland, it must have the HBAR, correct?

So when I peruse online vendors of AR upper kits, what syntax should I use in my searches? I.E.- heavy barrel, HBAR, etc?

I appreciate the help.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    When purchasing an AR upper kit, in order for the complete rifle to be legal in Maryland, it must have the HBAR, correct?

So when I peruse online vendors of AR upper kits, what syntax should I use in my searches? I.E.- heavy barrel, HBAR, etc?

I appreciate the help.

If it is 223/556 it has to be marked or marketed as HBAR, any other calibers it doesn’t really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Heavy barrel

ETA: When you say "kits", what exactly are you saying? Already fully built upper receivers?

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    ^^ HBAR only comes into play when putting the upper on a lower you’ve purchased since the law changed in 2013.

“Any other caliber doesn’t matter”. Is that correct? I can put a regular or pencil barrel 300BO upper on a new AR lower?

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    ^^ HBAR only comes into play when putting the upper on a lower you’ve purchased since the law changed in 2013.

“Any other caliber doesn’t matter”. Is that correct? I can put a regular or pencil barrel 300BO upper on a new AR lower?

Yes. Any other caliber than .223/5.56mm can have any barrel profile you wish.

Matt

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    By kits, I mean a bag of parts, including a barrel, like you buy from Palmetto State Armory, for example.

But I'm not having luck searching products in 5.56 finding a "heavy barrel. "

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    It's a difficult market out there. I purchased some Warsport .223 Wylde barrels that have HBAR laser engraved on them a couple of years ago. Good luck finding them now.

I just assembled a side charging upper with one of those barrels and will probably take it out this weekend. I'm not really a fan of the side charging idea but I had the parts so I figured I'd try it out. Worst case I'll put it in the classifieds.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Delton has a few HBAR versions. I have the Dissipator with Rifle Length gas & FSB (Requires a lighter spring) and son has the standard Carbine.

These are NOT high end barrels but are decent.

I had purchased on sale a Radical Arms upper (no BCG) last year.
    It shoots pretty decent especially for the price it was on sale for. (I have not seen it since). Up until this one, I had bad luck with Radical
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?234091&p=5528686#post5528686

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So what about putting a non-HBAR upper on a lower that was built out from an 80 lower?

Gawd - what a bunch of looney, arbitrary meaningless ******** laws.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Same rules apply.

Lots of barrels to pick from that are marketed as Heavy profile (to add to the list that others)
    Stag
    Criterion
    Faxon
    Delton
    Seekins
    Lothar Walther (sometimes). You could custom order a "heavy" profile from them. Heck, they may engrave HBAR on the barrel for you. Good barrels too.

What's frustrating is when a manufacturer makes something that's clearly an HBAR, but don't ever use that word. Often they'll say "proprietary" contour. Many things that get called "SPR" could easily be called an HBAR, but often they don't.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    By kits, I mean a bag of parts, including a barrel, like you buy from Palmetto State Armory, for example.

But I'm not having luck searching products in 5.56 finding a "heavy barrel. "

If the maker advertises it as HBAR or Heavy in any of its literature you are good to go. Print out a copy of the specifications for your files should anyone ask. A Heavy Bull or Varmint barrel can qualify if they say "Heavy" in the description. As to parts, doesn't matter if it is a pre-assembled upper kit with an LPK and stock or you source the parts yourself.

You need to dig around and see how the product is described. Then again right now finding parts is a challenge.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom