• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Long stroke piston as in Kalashnikov. Upper receiver itself is not interchangeable with standard DI AR’s. Fantastic all around (and if you shoot suppressed there is no gas coming back in your face)…

ETA, when I say fantastic all around I really mean it. They are my new favorite for Armalite pattern rifles, over everything from DD to BCM…
    I see both advantages and disadvantages. The main disadvantage being that it's different - there are parts galore for the standard AR platform everywhere.

The advantage of course is that it falls outside of typical bans and regulations because it's not specifically listed and functionally it's not a copycat.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I see both advantages and disadvantages. The main disadvantage being that it's different - there are parts galore for the standard AR platform everywhere.

The advantage of course is that it falls outside of typical bans and regulations because it's not specifically listed and functionally it's not a copycat.
    Absolutely, proprietary can be cursed word in the realm of America’s Rifle - but I have no hesitation in saying that they are worth it, irrespective of skirting around Marylandistan’s stupid HBAR rules…

rs3

Oct 8, 2022
    Baltimore
    Hijacking this thread to ask where I can go to just have an HBAR barrel installed without gauging my wallet. I recently moved to an apt and don't have any of my tools/vice/etc. I asked Tyler Firearms and they said it would be a 3 week wait because they're backed up...

I just moved to MD and figured a $180 Aero Precision hbar barrel would be cheaper than a $500 completed HBAR upper or a fancy shmancy piston upper and I don't have to build a new rifle (although that would be preferable because duh) but I need someone to install it for me.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hijacking this thread to ask where I can go to just have an HBAR barrel installed without gauging my wallet. I recently moved to an apt and don't have any of my tools/vice/etc. I asked Tyler Firearms and they said it would be a 3 week wait because they're backed up...

I just moved to MD and figured a $180 Aero Precision hbar barrel would be cheaper than a $500 completed HBAR upper or a fancy shmancy piston upper and I don't have to build a new rifle (although that would be preferable because duh) but I need someone to install it for me.
    It's relatively easy to do and lots of people have the necessary tools to install a barrel or even do a full AR build. I don't know how involved you are with this kind of thing, but IMO it's worth it to obtain the tools.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you shoot a lot get a D.I. AR15. Machines wear and break, and when it does you want readily available and affordable parts.

Look at what the serious trainers use as well. You'll be had pressed to find a "Gas Piston" AR in their hands.

Unless you are doing maritime operations and shooting an AR with water in it, there is no reason to select a Gas Piston AR over a D.I. version.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Lots of people and shops have tools to do barrel swaps, but few check important things or follow proper procedures.

feed ramp check
    gas block alignment
    gas system efficiency check
    barrel extension clocking check
    gauging gas port
    headspace check
    throat and chamber gauging
    gas tube alignment check
    barrel nut grease and torque
    barrel to upper slop check
    rail alignment and float check
    barrel pinning/dimpling
    thread concentricity check
    proper muzzle device installation

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

2A in Jessup probably does it

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Daniel Defense SOCOM Block II Upper (Heavy Barrel) on sale at Brownells for $769. No BCG but this is a pretty darn good deal on a DD upper. I've had mine for a few years and it is amazingly accurate for what it is. Arguably one of the best SHTF uppers you can buy. You'll have to have an extended FH pinned/welded on though. Duffy's did that for me for $60.

Their Mk18 upper is also on sale for the same price.

I bought one of those last year, and I have to admit that I wasn't a fan of it. The RIS II rail that came on mine was clearly a blem rail - it had poor anodizing and the markings faded from the rear section of the rail (on the 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 positions) to the end. The upper receiver was also poorly finished. I own a 2015-vintage Daniel Defense M4A1, and the difference in quality between that upper and the Brownell's upper was obvious to me - unfortunately, like too many gun makers, DD has cut some corners on quality to save on production costs. I like that Brownell's and DD are selling an upper that is MD-compliant, but unfortunately, as the owner of an earlier-vintage DD rifle, I know what's missing from those uppers, quality-wise.

I ultimately wound up paying Engage Armament to pull the barrel from the Brownell's custom upper, stick it on my old factory 2015 upper receiver/rail system, and then pin-and-weld the flash hider so that I could run it legally on my DD lower. I then had them install the old barrel into the newer URG so that I could sell it on GunBroker to recoup my money.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I bought one of those last year, and I have to admit that I wasn't a fan of it. The RIS II rail that came on mine was clearly a blem rail - it had poor anodizing and the markings faded from the rear section of the rail (on the 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 positions) to the end. The upper receiver was also poorly finished. I own a 2015-vintage Daniel Defense M4A1, and the difference in quality between that upper and the Brownell's upper was obvious to me - unfortunately, like too many gun makers, DD has cut some corners on quality to save on production costs. I like that Brownell's and DD are selling an upper that is MD-compliant, but unfortunately, as the owner of an earlier-vintage DD rifle, I know what's missing from those uppers, quality-wise.

I ultimately wound up paying Engage Armament to pull the barrel from the Brownell's custom upper, stick it on my old factory 2015 upper receiver/rail system, and then pin-and-weld the flash hider so that I could run it legally on my DD lower. I then had them install the old barrel into the newer URG so that I could sell it on GunBroker to recoup my money.
    I've had zero issues with my DD Socom upper. All of the RIS quad rails have small blem markings on the muzzle end - I am told due to how they are positioned on the rack for anodizing. Mine was otherwise blem-free, although i've run mine decently hard and none of my AR's are safe-queens. I do not care that they get banged up over time.

If I were you I would have called Brownells. I bet they'd have made it right.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I've had zero issues with my DD Socom upper. All of the RIS quad rails have small blem markings on the muzzle end - I am told due to how they are positioned on the rack for anodizing. Mine was otherwise blem-free, although i've run mine decently hard and none of my AR's are safe-queens. I do not care that they get banged up over time.

If I were you I would have called Brownells. I bet they'd have made it right.
    Oh, I'm sure it would have run just fine - SOPMOD Block II-style uppers are absolute tanks. But my issues weren't just with the blem markings on the muzzle end - I was concerned that the markings on the rail faded from back to front, which indicated poor laser engraving. When I see stuff like that, it calls into question whether there are other QC issues with the URG.

I actually did talk to Brownell's before I ordered it - because I had asked them to send me one that had the same receiver markings as the factory gun (needed them for my clone build).

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster

Where are you at in MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom