• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I'm having problems with feeding of the first round of a fully loaded Ruger 10 Rd AI magazine in a Magpul Hunter stock on a Ruger American rifle. The Magpul 10 Rd AI mags naturally work fine with no feeding problems. I contacted Magpul before buying the stock to ask if the Ruger AI mags (which I have many) would work in their stock and that rifle combination and they said yes. In fact they said most any 7.62 AI mag should work in their stock.

Actually I believe Magpul is correct about the Ruger AI mags working. They are flawlessly feeding when loading only 9 rounds. What seems to happen in the Ruger AI mag is when the last round of a fully loaded 10 round magazine is inserted the bullet end of the top round angles slightly down in the magazine instead of the round being parallel to the feed lips or angled slightly up. When you work the bolt to load the first round of the fully loaded mag it hits so low on the rifles feed ramp and jambs there. If you press down several times on the top round of the fully loaded Ruger AI mag it sort of realigns the top round to be parallel with the feed lips and will then feed in to the feed ramp/rifle.

What I notice about the Ruger vs. the Magpul magazine is that the Ruger brand mags are shorter than the Magpul magazines and the Ruger mags are tapered wider from about half way down the magazine to the bottom. So the 10 rounds loaded in to the Ruger mag become slightly staggered as opposed the the 10 rounds in the Magpul magazine being in a straight vertical column. So the follower in the Ruger mag when compressed by 10 rounds does not fit snuggly in to the wider magazine bottom but has room to be off center or even canted at it's lowest point in the Ruger AI magazines. That cant of the follower at the stage of being compressed by the tenth round causes the follower to bind at that point thereby not allowing the magazine spring to exert enough power to properly align the top (1st of 10) round with respect to the magazine feed lips.

So has anyone else experienced this problem with Ruger brand AI mags and if so was it able to be corrected so you can reliably feed 10 rounds instead of 9 in a Ruger American rifle/Magpul Hunter stock combination?

Hoglaw

Apr 20, 2021
    That’s interesting. Magpuls website actually says that the 10 rd clip won’t feed well in the RAH....it’s in the “technical specifications” section.

“ While other rifle platforms, such as the Ruger American Rifle®, can be upgraded for use with AICS-spec bottom metal and magazines, the internal design features may present some feeding and reliability concerns when used with the standard PMAG 10 7.62 AC magazine in non-.308 based calibers.

https://magpul.com/pmag107-62ac-7-62x51-aicsshortaction.html?mp_global_color=118

“As such, Magpul does not recommend the PMAG 10 7.62 AC for calibers other than .308-based cartridges in the Ruger American Rifle® in the Hunter American stock, and results may vary in other actions with 3-lug bolts. For optimal feeding and reliability with the Hunter American in cartridges like 6.5 Creedmoor, it is recommended to utilize only the updated Magpul PMAG 5 7.62 AC, easily identified with its brown lock plate and follower for complete Magpul reliability”

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom