• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Hi all,

Many times I will be looking at buying a firearm and wonder if the caliber of ammo is common or not. I'm not talking about 5.56mm NATO or the .577/450 Martini–Henry for example. I'm talking about the Russian M-74's 5.45mm common or better yet is it commercially available in the US or Maryland? I've tried to stay with ammo that is fairly common at the moment like .22Lr, 9mm or 5.56 NATO.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It’s fairly common. It used to be way more common back when surplus 7N6 could be imported and it was nearly half the price of new 5.56. New production Russian and Ukrainian lead core is as common as the other Russian made ammo. It lingered for sale a bit longer than 7.62x39 since fewer people grabbed it up.

Worry more about mag prices. Military AK-74 mags are about $50-60 each right now on Facebook.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tier One Common = Used to be at every Wal Mart

Tier Two Common = Available at many LGS , most gun shows, and multiple internet sources .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Keep in mind that there is almost no US domestic production of 5.45x39mm ammunition. So if the current administration cut off imports, there will be basically none. Hornady makes 60gr Hornady Black 5.45x39. They are the only manufacturer that I am aware of to produce in the US, or produce brass cased 5.45.

All the rest is steel cased imports. Which also means, don't expect stellar accuracy from one (either the platform or the cartridge), though I've heard good things on the Hornady Black loading.

It is fairly far down there in availability, but because of the current demand, it is much more available than a lot of calibers. Generally though assume you won't find it at a small LGS and may or may not find it in a big box retailer like BPS, Cabela's, etc. A larger LGS, gun show or internet, yes you'll find it. Price is, not in a pandemic, typically around 5-10cpr more than 5.56 or 7.62x39.

Don't plan to reload for it as components are close to non-existent.

I really wish 6.5 Grendel AK-74s were much more common than they are. Sigh.

oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    Well it's safe to say that nothing is common :D
    But in general I was of the understanding that it's not nearly as common or well produced for purchase as 22/9mm

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just about everything is less common than .22lr/ 9x19 . But if that's your standard , you're limited to .22lr and 9x19 .

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Hi all,

Many times I will be looking at buying a firearm and wonder if the caliber of ammo is common or not. I'm not talking about 5.56mm NATO or the .577/450 Martini–Henry for example. I'm talking about the Russian M-74's 5.45mm common or better yet is it commercially available in the US or Maryland? I've tried to stay with ammo that is fairly common at the moment like .22Lr, 9mm or 5.56 NATO.

https://www.luckygunner.com/rifle/5-45x39mm-ammo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom