• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I’ll be doing some trolling this year for rock fish. I’m going to be using a #2 planer with a 2 oz lure on 50# braid. How do I calculate how many feet of line to let out to get the lure to a particular depth? Trolling speed is about 3.5 mph

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Troll master app

I use planers for bluefish in the ocean. used the app once but I generally can see the angle anyway and remember without measuring angle.
    I will run 2 different depths on #2 planers
    79c65e03bd3c4cc7c333fba9bbfe43c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Troll master app

I use planers for bluefish in the ocean. used the app once but I generally can see the angle anyway and remember without measuring angle.
    I will run 2 different depths on #2 planers
    79c65e03bd3c4cc7c333fba9bbfe43c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. What app is that? Also, I thought the line arcs as it goes deeper.
    Thanks mr mule skinner I already bought a reel with counter

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    app is called Troll Master

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=free.ai_trevor_lewis.TrollMaster&hl=en_US&gl=US

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/troll-master-depth-calculator/id1459946758

I fish a shoal that peaks at about 20ft around low tide and one day, we let out enough line till we could trip the planer on the bottom. That gave me an idea of how much to let out for 20'.
    I generally would troll about half that as we found it more effective (cause the fish were looking up and could see the flash of the clark spoon)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I got confused and downloaded the app, Master Baiter, not the same thing at all apparently.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I am very new to trolling also, I have not had much success trolling the patuxent with planers. I had the chance to fish with some more experienced guys last year. Main line to 3 way - bottom of 3 way has line to a drop weight - back of 3 way goes to another 3 way - heavy lure on bottom leader - light lure on top leader. Let out line until the weight bounces off the bottom, then bring it back in a little. In the fall/winter we did good at 2.5 mph, 8-16oz weights, a variety of pretty small bucktails, 10' or so from 3 way to weight. The leaders to the lures were in the 8-15' range. Lengths, weights, speeds ect are all going on memory. I understand that on the bay it's more common to use inline weights for stripers and planers are used more for bluefish and spanish mackeral where trolling speeds are much faster.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I got confused and downloaded the app, Master Baiter, not the same thing at all apparently.

No no, you want an actual fishing app like "plenty of fish". Apparently the reviews say it's great for catfishing.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I am very new to trolling also, I have not had much success trolling the patuxent with planers. I had the chance to fish with some more experienced guys last year. Main line to 3 way - bottom of 3 way has line to a drop weight - back of 3 way goes to another 3 way - heavy lure on bottom leader - light lure on top leader. Let out line until the weight bounces off the bottom, then bring it back in a little. In the fall/winter we did good at 2.5 mph, 8-16oz weights, a variety of pretty small bucktails, 10' or so from 3 way to weight. The leaders to the lures were in the 8-15' range. Lengths, weights, speeds ect are all going on memory. I understand that on the bay it's more common to use inline weights for stripers and planers are used more for bluefish and spanish mackeral where trolling speeds are much faster.

Im like you also. I just started at the end of last season with my brother. He just bought a boat. We really didn’t know much so as a group of us, we went on a charter and did trolling south of the bridge. There, we asked lots of questions of the captain so we learned a lot
    At the very end of the season we sort of had it down. We had about an 8 foot leader line to a number two planer with about a two or 3 ounce bucktail attached to a 6 inch yellow lure. We were trying to simulate as best the charter
    I caught one rockfish but it was undersized so I had to throw it back and my brother ended up catching a 22 inch rockfish. That was the last time we went trolling. This time, we bought trolling rods and reels and he is getting a depth finder on his boat. I assume that should help
    Edited to add I also bought an umbrella rig and used it but it did not seem to work, I don’t know, maybe we weren’t in the right spot or right depth ? But I will use it again this year

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Personally I've never liked planer boards. To much aggrevation . Use 3 or 4 single rods/lines at different depths. Umbrella rigs and buck tails.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Personally I've never liked planer boards. To much aggrevation . Use 3 or 4 single rods/lines at different depths. Umbrella rigs and buck tails.

I think he meant the diving metal planers you run off the transom, not planer boards you use to widen your spread (oh I think I'm stepping in it there)

I agree on planer boards. I only trolled once on the bay, its calmer on the bay and yes, I have seen lots use planer boards but in the ocean where I fish, its too rough.

Planers to run off transom to get the non diving lure down lower :

Attachments

• sea-striker-planer-1464494-1.jpg
      sea-striker-planer-1464494-1.jpg
      14.9 KB · Views: 113

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04