Since when did Tasers require a background check?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Since you asked...

The chart I use for teaching Electrical Safety, the last line starts a 2,000 mA (2 A).

Lock on ranges from about 15 mA at the low end to around 50 - 60 mA.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm a good example of DC Voltage being safer than AC current. I've been hit by 50kv sitting on a capacitor. It knocked me down and there was an audible "bang". They checked my heart rhythm, but I was fine.

Current (measured in Amps) will kill. They told us in electronics school that with the right resistance (none); 10 mA was enough to kill. We were also taught that 110v AC was more dangerous than 220v. 110 might not be enough to blow you off the circuit, and then you start taking current. 220 on the other hand should blow you clear. I never cared to test that theory.

Voltage only matters as it drives current. With low current, you can be exposed to thousands of volts without harm. See Tesla coils.

The problem with 110 is that to trip a 15 amp breaker, you need less than 7 ohms resistance. Even in wet conditions, body resistance is about 500 ohms. So you will get about 220 mA of current, which is enough to do bad things.

But in that same case, you would not trip a 220 volt, 15 amp breaker either. As you need resistance below 14 ohms to trip it. Problem is, you will be exposed to 440 mA of current.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Voltage only matters as it drives current. With low current, you can be exposed to thousands of volts without harm. See Tesla coils.

The problem with 110 is that to trip a 15 amp breaker, you need less than 7 ohms resistance. Even in wet conditions, body resistance is about 500 ohms. So you will get about 220 mA of current, which is enough to do bad things.

But in that same case, you would not trip a 220 volt, 15 amp breaker either. As you need resistance below 14 ohms to trip it. Problem is, you will be exposed to 440 mA of current.

You're making me have unpleasant flashbacks of doing circuit math tests based on Ohm's Law...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom