• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I have a Remington 700 VTR in .204 Ruger. It shoots nice, but I really don't like the triangular barrel with the muzzle-break in it. (Shooting in lower light the flash upward blinds you through the scope).
    Was wondering about re-barreling it to a Palma light, maybe even going to 6.5 Creedmore. Now the .204 Ruger is built off a .222 Hornet according to what I have read. Would that use the same bolt face as a 6.5 Creedmore, or would a bolt/receiver change be required (and thus, be impractical)?
    I like the characteristics of the .204, but the slightly heavier 6.5 is better for a longer distance, it being a heavier bullet.

Interested in hearing every ones thoughts.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    I have a Remington 700 VTR in .204 Ruger. It shoots nice, but I really don't like the triangular barrel with the muzzle-break in it. (Shooting in lower light the flash upward blinds you through the scope).
    Was wondering about re-barreling it to a Palma light, maybe even going to 6.5 Creedmore. Now the .204 Ruger is built off a .222 Hornet according to what I have read. Would that use the same bolt face as a 6.5 Creedmore, or would a bolt/receiver change be required (and thus, be impractical)?
    I like the characteristics of the .204, but the slightly heavier 6.5 is better for a longer distance, it being a heavier bullet.

Interested in hearing every ones thoughts.

.204 ruger and 6.5 bolt face is different.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Tbh, you can get a new bolt (280), have it blueprinted (175) and rebarrel the rifle to any short action cartridge, but at that cost, you are getting close enough to a custom action, it would be worth looking into one of the less expensive custom actions. A bighorn origin is roughly 875 and you can get prefit barrels with or without a barrel nut so barrel changes are easier.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    A decent gunsmith will likely be able to open up your existing M700 boltface from .378" to the .473" and install a "Sako" style extractor, then chamber a barrel in any .473" rim cartridge. Or then go the Remage pre-chambered route. (FYI - A 6.5 Creedmoor - NOT CREEDMORE! - is a significantly more powerful cartridge than the .204 Ruger.) For all that trouble (and I like 700's), I'd consider picking up a Savage 12FV in 6.5CM from Cabela's when they go on sale.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    A decent gunsmith will likely be able to open up your existing M700 boltface from .378" to the .473" and install a "Sako" style extractor, then chamber a barrel in any .473" rim cartridge. Or then go the Remage pre-chambered route. (FYI - A 6.5 Creedmoor - NOT CREEDMORE! - is a significantly more powerful cartridge than the .204 Ruger.) For all that trouble (and I like 700's), I'd consider picking up a Savage 12FV in 6.5CM from Cabela's when they go on sale.

I really like the action in Rem 700. Been in mourning since they went under...I waited too long to get an action on sale, and now they're gone...and all teh 700's I find are too much $$$ (IMHO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom