• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I am more worried about time and effort to cut the grass, I am not as young as I was 20 years ago, I am 60 and my body is already broken down. I am looking at the Toro 30" walk behind mower. If I can get it past the wife then I will be able to cut the grass with less effort which is my goal. Up and down with the new mower would be like up and down and up again.

Those are bad ass. Very expensive, but well built and will last forever with residential use.

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    I “inherited” a really nice self propelled Toro recycler (gas) when my FIL passed away. I actually like it better than my Honda HRX217 push mower.

Those self-propelled Toro Recyclers were my go-to for years. Well, I'd had one since we moved in here in '04 anyway. It was still working great in 2017-ish but was looking rough and I'd had to fix a couple minor issues on it, so I got the great idea to dump it get a shiny new one. I offered it to a guy that was doing our kitchen remodel at the time and he snapped it right up. Replaced it with the new version of the same model and that thing didn't make through the next season. :(

The old one had a Tecumseh engine and that thing was bulletproof. Maybe took two pulls to start it 2-3 times in its lifespan, otherwise first pull. New one had a Briggs and Stratton and it just stopped running one day and I tried everything but couldn't get it to start again. Couple weeks went by so I panic-bought the Ryobi 40V just to get the lawn mowed. The rest is history.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    I'm in a townhouse. After years of fussing to start a B&S gas mower, I bought a Scotts Elite 16 reel push mower. I have had it about five years now. Quiet, light-weight and easy to use.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I am more worried about time and effort to cut the grass, I am not as young as I was 20 years ago, I am 60 and my body is already broken down. I am looking at the Toro 30" walk behind mower. If I can get it past the wife then I will be able to cut the grass with less effort which is my goal. Up and down with the new mower would be like up and down and up again.

I just got this from a friend for FREE! He wouldn’t take any money for it because he got it for free. He just wanted it gone! I haven’t even started it up yet. He even sharpened the blades and rebuilt the carburetor so it should be gtg.

c0ffbe88cde401372bb934888cbfce23.jpg

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    My kid bought the giant Ryobi Zero turn rider for his acre + yard---he is very pleased with it -it has plenty of grunt and has battery left when he is done---it was spendy however

I also went with the spendy Ryobi Zero turn, I’ve only cut my 3/4 acre yard twice so far but I find it to be a quicker chore. It was pricey but the charge is significant, mine has a 75 Amp hour battery set up, which only drops to 70% by the time I’m done cutting. I’m getting really tired of the gas engine annual maintenance of the rider, and push mower combined with the chainsaw, tiller, weed whacker, and generator.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I also went with the spendy Ryobi Zero turn, I’ve only cut my 3/4 acre yard twice so far but I find it to be a quicker chore. It was pricey but the charge is significant, mine has a 75 Amp hour battery set up, which only drops to 70% by the time I’m done cutting. I’m getting really tired of the gas engine annual maintenance of the rider, and push mower combined with the chainsaw, tiller, weed whacker, and generator.

Never heard of those so I Googled it. $4K for the cheapest model. It would have to de-chrome my trailer hitch for that amount of money.

Okay, going to Frankenstein this thread because I need to vent.

After the plastic hub shattered on that wheel, I decided that was enough of a sign to get a basic bitch corded Greenworks mower off Amazon. Since my sister has Prime, I asked her to order it for me and have it shipped to my house. She found one though an Amazon seller and estimated delivery was 20-28 May.

I was on the phone with my sister about something else when she asked "Oh, by the way, did the lawn mower show up?"

Uhm....no?

She checked the tracking number, it was shipped via USPS and was delivered on Monday 24 May at 1335. I telework from home and I didn't hear anything, my housemate teleworks and was a lot closer to the door and he heard nothing. Granted, the doorbell is not working, but I think we would have heard someone dropping a large package off.

Really don't want to think it was porch pirates. I have seen stuff sitting on porches for hours when I walk around the neighborhood for exercise.

Anyway, Sister has an email into the seller to see what our options are. I've been told USPS isn't going to be very helpful since it was "delivered".

Really pissed off. If someone local had corded mowers I would have bought one already and not had to deal with this crap. It sucks

UPDATE: Apparently I have Schrödinger's Lawnmower. It was delivered and not delivered. Per the Amazon seller

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience. We looked into the issue and found that the shipper caused damage to the product in transit and returned it to our warehouse. They accidentally marked it as delivered due to some technical difficulties. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. We are processing a replacement for your order. It won't charge you any cost. The estimated delivery date and tracking number aren't available yet. We will update you when it is available.
    Once again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I am still using my old 36V, Black and Decker (19 or 21”?) self-propelled walk behind mulching mower. I can’t even remember when I bought it. I only have about 4,500 sq.ft. to mow so it usually still has 2/3 charge left. It’s been good, no complaints. I did have to replace the battery once but I believe it was my own fault. I left it over the winter in an unheated area and accidentally had left power to the charger off.

Hopefully the one from the factory will be arriving this week.

Anyway, have to tell this story on myself since its pretty much my brand.

The last time I had the Black & Decker out, I had to hold the power cord a certain way otherwise it would cut out. Despite knowing this, I decided to try mowing my backyard one last time with it. So I plug it in, pull the lever, nothing. So I start to lift the power cord and *POP!* It made a HUGE arc that came out from between the gaps in insulation and scorched my right ring finger in a couple of places; even put a small hole in one of them. I flushed them with water, cleaned them up, and now have some ointment on them under some adhesive bandages.

Once that was done, I cut the cord off the mower. There is a metal recycler near BWI that buys electric motors, so I guess I'll take the old one there.

Okay, to close the circle on my part of this thread, Greenworks mower arrived last Thursday. It was basically remove the plastic wrap from the handle and bolt it into place, that was it.

On the plus side, its a mulching mower which makes it easier to get into tight spots. On the minus side, it requires a two-handed start (press and hold a start button while grabbing the deadman's handle). Only thing I'm really not a fan is that their little doohicky to hold the power cord to keep it from pulling out doesn't really work, so I was pulling it out left and right.

Also kicking myself for not giving the metal a coat of wax first top and bottom, ohwell.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    So I went with the EGO LM2156SP, their better self propelled mower ($800). And somehow wound up receiving two, one might be in the classified soon. Thanks for all the input, last year.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    So I went with the EGO LM2156SP, their better self propelled mower ($800). And somehow wound up receiving two, one might be in the classified soon. Thanks for all the input, last year.
    I have an EGO trimmer and the battery and power are more than impressive. The quality of the feed system is another matter unrelated to the overall quality of the fact that it's battery operated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom