Are there stats on how many minorities have an HQL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If voter ID is a burden to minorities, then SB281 from 2013 and the HQL requirement that it brought must be the most racist legislation passed by the Maryland government in decades.

Does the MSP publish statistics on the racial background of HQL holders or do they keep that quiet so it’s not so obvious how badly the Maryland Legislature has stripped minorities of their Constitutional rights?

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I know of ~30 minorities HQL holders of which ~60% of them acquired it in the last 2 years. I've had mine almost from the beginning. Looks like a mug shot.
    c75df2b12aed8119babbb608848e8b4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I know of ~30 minorities HQL holders of which ~60% of them acquired it in the last 2 years. I've had mine almost from the beginning. Looks like a mug shot.
    c75df2b12aed8119babbb608848e8b4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Looks like you lost some weight...

Oh wait that photo is 2yrs old. It’s the other way around.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If voter ID is a burden to minorities, then SB281 from 2013 and the HQL requirement that it brought must be the most racist legislation passed by the Maryland government in decades.

Does the MSP publish statistics on the racial background of HQL holders or do they keep that quiet so it’s not so obvious how badly the Maryland Legislature has stripped minorities of their Constitutional rights?

That's perfect reasoning but we all know liberals are immune to being labelled as hypocrites and racists.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    What is the total cost now of a HQL?

I avoided getting it for as long as possible, but found a gun I “needed” to add to my collection that wasn’t C&R. Between the fingerprints and the application fee (I was exempt from the training), it was over $100. Then add the purchase price of a gun and transfer fees. Oh, yeah, don’t forget, the only way to pay is with a credit card. Don’t have a credit card (think bad credit or poor), no need to apply!

Another point, you need photo ID, so all those mail in vote people won’t qualify I guess!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Whether they "publish" it or not, if it's a question on the application it's in their database (like everything) and could be obtained. The govt undoubtedly maintains all sorts of information that it doesn't "publish" or compile
    unless or until someone asks for it, e.g. data used by elected reps who are framing arguments for more control over your life.

Few people inquire or make use of federal, state, and local Freedom of Information Acts to request information that already belongs to us, not them.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

https://marylandgunclasses.com/?gcl...wLOPl09rKARhPEYjEThdZmUt9JvJ1E7hoCS30QAvD_BwE
    This site makes it easy to demonstrate the financial cost of getting a HQL. Of course there us STILL the background check fee every time you buy a firearm with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210502-093515_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210502-093515_Chrome.jpg
      30.5 KB · Views: 367

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I think I paid about $130 when I got mine some years back. Pretty sure I was one of the first in my area as our local IWLA chapter had a class the first week it was available and we all went to get our fingerprints done the next day at a place nearby that did electronic ones. $130 is a lot of money for folks on a budget who just want to buy their first handgun. So, $130 before even spending a dime on the gun itself. That seems excessive to me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I would also ask about low income people stats as they are likely kept from it given the time (missing work possibly) and expense.

I doubt we would know that without doing a survey of HQL holders. I’m not aware of any information like Socio economic status that MSP would’ve collected at any point. They should have race data based on what they collect from the criminal background check.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    I bought my last 2 handguns just before the HQL law went into effect.

$200-250 for a HQL. Seems to me a court would have an issue with that, equal protection and all. Go to WV and you need nothing but a clean record to carry concealed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Whether they "publish" it or not, if it's a question on the application it's in their database (like everything) and could be obtained. The govt undoubtedly maintains all sorts of information that it doesn't "publish" or compile
    unless or until someone asks for it, e.g. data used by elected reps who are framing arguments for more control over your life.

Few people inquire or make use of federal, state, and local Freedom of Information Acts to request information that already belongs to us, not them.

The reason why is cost. The data is not free unless there’s no cost to the agency or it’s used directly for the agencies mission. For example the other day at work I ended up getting a FOIA request that if the person really wants us to push forward with it is probably going to be at least thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars as its data from the 1970s that’s probably going to take an archival search through microfiche or even going to the national archives to try and track down the information. When you submit a FOIA request the agency spends a few days to a few weeks estimating the total cost to execute the request and provides you an estimate as well as if it’s likely the data is available or not and then allows you to decide if you want to move ahead with the request.

Something like current data or documents that would be available under FOIA might only be a minimal charge like $50 up to a couple hundred bucks but things like archival searches for old documents that are going to involve multiple people and dozens of hours can easily stretch into the thousands of dollars.

I absolutely agree with the exception of things like extremely privileged data, personally identifiable information or top-secret information absolutely the public is welcome to the data. But that doesn’t always mean that it’s easy to get the data based on the number of FOIA requests many agencies get and also to be honest if it was made completely free despite tax payer cost for the agency to execute the search the actual impact to an agency’s mission would be pretty significant. Honestly no clue the FOIA burden my agency receives but I would guess it’s at least a few million dollars a year. Which again if it was actually totally free to the public without actual costs charged I would imagine the number of FOIA requests would probably balloon to five or 10 times larger than what we get today which turns into significant peanuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom