Courtney Stalking Rifle 45/70 (A.Uberti)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Put a proper name on it and maybe a link to where it could be bought, would ya? Help a fella out

In reference to the tang sight? If you look up Soule tang sights, you’ll see a plethora of options front and back!

As far as the rifle, I saw that EuroOptic was stocking them at one point. I think this caliber is a fairly new product and not widely on the market as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well to be period correct for rifles of this style , it would have a series of flip up sights on the quarter rib , each for a different yardage .

But in a design compromise for the modern buying public , they went with one leaf , and Weaver slots on the rest .

For a good tang sight , either NOS Lyman , or do a search for Montana Vintage Arms with their excellent reproductions .

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Well to be period correct for rifles of this style , it would have a series of flip up sights on the quarter rib , each for a different yardage .

But in a design compromise for the modern buying public , they went with one leaf , and Weaver slots on the rest .

For a good tang sight , either NOS Lyman , or do a search for Montana Vintage Arms with their excellent reproductions .

100%!
    They do make a solid rib with no weaver. Small detail to add to make it irons only.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    So High Walsall’s are a pretty strong action. Would that place this rifle into standard pressure loads. My favorite is just a standard 405 hard cast RNFP.
    I suppose my question is -
    This wouldn’t need Trapdoor loads as it’s main diet? Obviously the insane rounds I feed my Marlin would be a no-go

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    So High Wall’s are a pretty strong action. Would that place this rifle into standard pressure loads. My favorite is just a standard 405 hard cast RNFP.
    I suppose my question is -
    This wouldn’t need Trapdoor loads as it’s main diet? Obviously the insane rounds I feed my Marlin would be a no-go

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The modern Japan mfg B78 and '85 are generally considered to be in same catagory as Ruger No 1 aka much stronger than Marlin . How the Italian mfg action compares to the Japanese . I don't know .

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    The modern Japan mfg B78 and '85 are generally considered to be in same catagory as Ruger No 1 aka much stronger than Marlin . How the Italian mfg action compares to the Japanese . I don't know .

Very interesting!

This whole thing has led me to explore the “Stalking Rifle”, it’s history, and application.

Gotta say, talk about some cool reading! This being in 45/70 technically removes the “stalking rifle” definition in truth. They were historically chambered in intermediate cartridges. That took me down the rabbit hole of 275 Rigby. That cartridge is incredible! All things considered, I’d much prefer the 45/70 for my intended purposes as it’s very much what I know.

Now, are there people making high walls in a lightweight package chambered in other such flavors!? The old school singleshots of the 19th century are a huge love of mine. The Ruger No.1 is FANTASTIC, and I would gladly have one. I just love that turn of the century, slim, grace!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Original Stalking Rifles used a variety of medium- ish bore " Flanged " cartridges , flat-ish shooting for the day . ie maximizing the aiming potential of multi leaf Express Sights .

For the mass produced Uberti rifle , they went with still common ctgs to increase sales appeal . You're not going to find .275 Flanged at the LGS . Do you want to take up the seperate hobby of loading obsolete cartridges , with either reformed brass , or hunting down intermittently available Bertram Brass from Australia ? It's a legitimate sub hobby . But of the two factory chamberings , .303 would be closer to the spirit of the original , and undoubtedly some were made back in the day , as it the .303 dates back to 1888 , and would have appealed to British Officer or Civil Servants going on extended assignment to Africa or India .

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    The Original Stalking Rifles used a variety of medium- ish bore " Flanged " cartridges , flat-ish shooting for the day . ie maximizing the aiming potential of multi leaf Express Sights .

For the mass produced Uberti rifle , they went with still common ctgs to increase sales appeal . You're not going to find .275 Flanged at the LGS . Do you want to take up the seperate hobby of loading obsolete cartridges , with either reformed brass , or hunting down intermittently available Bertram Brass from Australia ? It's a legitimate sub hobby . But of the two factory chamberings , .303 would be closer to the spirit of the original , and undoubtedly some were made back in the day , as it the .303 dates back to 1888 , and would have appealed to British Officer or Civil Servants going on extended assignment to Africa or India .

Bingo!! I feel they wanted to put the rifle out in the spirit of the British empire in Africa. Read .303

But to really nail the market down they went with the ever growing in popularity 45/70. I really wish people didn’t find out how sweet this cartridge is lol they’ve stolen my honey pot.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013

Just heard a sales person from five years ago say the Uberti High Wall can handle pressure up to 28k psi

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presuming that's straight scoop , that would be equivalent to Ruger '95 and Nickle Steel Winchester 1886 .

Of course in such a rifle , how hot you care to load is probably more of a limiting factor than what the rifle could handle .

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Presuming that's straight scoop , that would be equivalent to Ruger '95 and Nickle Steel Winchester 1886 .

Of course in such a rifle , how hot you care to load is probably more of a limiting factor than what the rifle could handle .

Exactly. It’s going to eventually (future not uncertain) be a black powder.
    I’ve already got my plan how to get one. Have an email to Uberti. Anyone want a Ruger SBH or ‘99 JM1895G? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom