• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    I just had a bunch of family move to Delaware, so I'll be visiting them often. There's permit-less open carry there, but it doesn't look like there's many locals near them that do so and I don't want to stick out if I can help it. So I was thinking of getting a Utah permit, but now West Virginia is going to issue non-resident permits starting in July. I don't see any info yet on what WV's application process will be (mail/online, in-person, etc) and it looks to be that any NRA-certified safety course with live fire will meet the training requirement. I'm guessing the Utah course would satisfy that requirement if I needed it to down the road. EDIT: Not true, looks like UT is classroom-only, no live fire.

So after that long-winded preamble, I'm looking for opinions on whether I should wait for the WV permit to go live, or just get the Utah right now and re-evaluate at renewal time?

Last edited:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Utah is now constitutional carry, so I am not sure they are giving out non-resident permits anymore. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. This was a recent change.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Utah is now constitutional carry, so I am not sure they are giving out non-resident permits anymore. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. This was a recent change.

This is from the USCCA Website, they still issue NR Carry permits. for those interested in reciprocity

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ut-gun-laws/#:~:text=Utah%20Concealed%20Firearm%20Permits%20(CFP,home%20state%20may%20also%20apply.

"As of May 5, 2021, based on the Governor’s signing of HB 60, permitless concealed carry will be legal for any individual 21 years old or older, who may lawfully possess a firearm. Utah Concealed Firearm Permits (CFP) will still be offered for individuals interested in reciprocity to carry in other states. Utah CFPs are issued to residents at least 21 years of age or 18 for a provisional permit. Non-residents at least 21 years of age who have a permit from their home state may also apply. Some areas are off-limits, including courthouses and secured areas of airports. Concealed carry permits require a firearms familiarity course that has been certified by the Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI). In terms of reciprocity, Utah will honor all other state or county permits.?"

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    This is from the USCCA Website, they still issue NR Carry permits. for those interested in reciprocity

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ut-gun-laws/#:~:text=Utah%20Concealed%20Firearm%20Permits%20(CFP,home%20state%20may%20also%20apply.

Non-residents at least 21 years of age who have a permit from their home state may also apply. Some areas are off-limits, including courthouses and secured areas of airports. Concealed carry permits require a firearms familiarity course that has been certified by the Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI). In terms of reciprocity, Utah will honor all other state or county permits.?"

Interesting. What happens to the MD residents that don't have a MD CC?

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Interesting. What happens to the MD residents that don't have a MD CC?

MD does not have a reciprocity clause that recognizes Utah persists. So if you have this you would have to exercise it in a state that has reciprocity with Utah. IE a Marylander with this permit, could carry in NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    MD does not have a reciprocity clause that recognizes Utah persists. So if you have this you would have to exercise it in a state that has reciprocity with Utah. IE a Marylander with this permit, could carry in NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. But it's the part about the needing a homestate permit to apply to Utah that sundazes and I are questioning. I didn't think that was a requirement previously. Just a certificate from a certified instructor, prints/photos, and fees. So if I'd need a MD permit, I need to look at Florida.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Right. But it's the part about the needing a homestate permit to apply to Utah that sundazes and I are questioning. I didn't think that was a requirement previously. Just a certificate from a certified instructor, prints/photos, and fees. So if I'd need a MD permit, I need to look at Florida.

Utah knows Maryland is ********, and you will get the Utah permit. That language was always there.

Delaware has always frustrated me when it comes to carry permits. If you call the state police they refer you to local townships and vice versa. I got the runaround until i just gave up. It seems like nobody really knows anything about Delaware’s ccw permit including Delaware. It’s also stupid that my Maryland permit will not reciprocate in Delaware. If I’m on vacation in OC and I stay on coastal hwy headed north too long I’m all of a sudden breaking the law. Last time I had to go into DE I just assumed the risk and said F’ It. At least I have a valid permit in the neighboring state and not just riding around looking for trouble.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County

No you do not need a home state permit, to apply and be approved for a Utah NR permit.

I currently hold a Utah permit, with no MD permit. My wife just renewed hers as well.

My point was, NC and UT have reciprocity cluases, so if you are a MD utah NR permit holder (with no MD permit) you will still be able to carry with the Utah NR

deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    The whole thing is upsetting that what is perfectly legal in one state will make you a felon just a step over a state border. The feds really need to step in on this one and grant legality country wide.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The fine print from Utah is that you need a Home State Permit IF you live in a State that Recognizes a Utah Resident Permit . Maryland does NOT Recognize Any other Permits .

Utah , as every other Con Carry state except Vermont , continue to issue Permits for those people who wish one . Why ? As a convience for their Residents go out of state for work or leisure , and the process is self supporting , if not turning a profit .

Does DE recognize WV ?

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    AZ is an easy option if you want to carry in DE, and you don’t need a UT specific instructor or a photo (just prints). I’m always baffled why people choose UT over AZ. Only difference with AZ is you loose WA but pick up NM.

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    AZ is an easy option if you want to carry in DE, and you don’t need a UT specific instructor or a photo (just prints). I’m always baffled why people choose UT over AZ. Only difference with AZ is you loose WA but pick up NM.

From what I was looking at, and I could be very wrong and was going to look deeper at some point, the NRA safety classes that Arizona accepts typically cost more than the Utah & Florida specific classes. I'm still looking into that aspect, it seems there's much less info out there about Arizona training vs UT/FL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Utah Instructors are thick on the ground in Maryland ( and Va ) . Utah Classes are usually priced competively with NRA Basic classes . And Utah Classes actually give worthwhile teaching on Carry related subjects . And the cheap renewals for Utah Permits .

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    Utah Instructors are thick on the ground in Maryland ( and Va ) . Utah Classes are usually priced competively with NRA Basic classes . And Utah Classes actually give worthwhile teaching on Carry related subjects . And the cheap renewals for Utah Permits .

Yeah, I'm seeing a ton of Utah offerings for around $100 that includes prints/photos all that. The NRA ones seem to be $125+ with no thrills. Found one place still offering Arizona, but out in Salisbury and only in combination with MD HQL or W&C so they ran $175-$400.

Thanks everyone for all the insight. I think I'm going to go for the Utah permit now, and if at renewal time the WVA one looks appealing I'll jump ship.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If someone is absolute true beginner , as in never even touched a firearm before , then an NRA Basic Course is a good and worthwhile thing , even if not specifically for an administrative requirement .

But if you already know from which end of a firearm the projectiles launch from , Utah will teach more about carrying in public .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom