• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terryscf

Mar 10, 2021
    Anne Arundel County
    First, I want to see if it is even ok to barter ammo on this forum? If it is now allowed I will promptly remove the post.

So, I have 6 boxes of Winchester USA Forged 9mm 115 grain FMJ ammo 50 rounds per box. But the kicker is they are steel-cased. I accidentally brought in haste (I saw "in stock" and apparently didn't read :mad54:). These are not good for my gun. If anyone is interested I'm asking for 4 boxes of the same (9mm 115 grain FMJ) but brass.

PM if interested. :cool:

thanks.

Terry

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    As A.J.E. indicated, there's a minimum 50 post rule to post things for sale, to prevent spammers and people just showing up and using the forum as a version of craigslist, and to encourage people to become part of the community.

Since you're interested in trading for similar rather than earning cash from ammo sales... perhaps the mods may allow some leeway. :shrug:

If not join in, make a few useful posts, put the ammo on the shelf for just a bit and you'll be able to use the classifieds in no time.

Don't post useless one-liners or otherwise rush to get 50 posts... it will be obvious and they'll just get cleaned up.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    It is also good if people know roughly where you are when you can sell/trade here.

If you're next door I would be happy to trade 6 to 4. If you're 3hrs away I may not want to trade 60 to 4.

terryscf

Mar 10, 2021
    Anne Arundel County
    Gotcha. And thanks. I don't want to break the rules and will take my lumps as required. I am super new to the gun community and feel I don't have much to offer yet as I'm still learning. But I will do my best to chime in more.

Terry

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    First, I want to see if it is even ok to barter ammo on this forum? If it is now allowed I will promptly remove the post.

So, I have 6 boxes of Winchester USA Forged 9mm 115 grain FMJ ammo 50 rounds per box. But the kicker is they are steel-cased. I accidentally brought in haste (I saw "in stock" and apparently didn't read :mad54:). These are not good for my gun. If anyone is interested I'm asking for 4 boxes of the same (9mm 115 grain FMJ) but brass.

PM if interested. :cool:

thanks.

Terry

Which gun are we speaking of?

terryscf

Mar 10, 2021
    Anne Arundel County
    Which gun are we speaking of?

I have a Springfield XDM-Elite. I have tried different ammo, especially since I just try to pick up what I can find but there are only a couple of ranges that let you shoot those and it just seems to jam the case in the slide. NOT something I like to see happen. lol

Terry

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I have a Springfield XDM-Elite. I have tried different ammo, especially since I just try to pick up what I can find but there are only a couple of ranges that let you shoot those and it just seems to jam the case in the slide. NOT something I like to see happen. lol

Terry

It shouldn't matter to ranges if you shoot steel cased ammo, only if there is a steel core in the bullet. Some employees may not know the difference.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

Terry

I shoot steel cased in my XD-s for practice. Never had a jam. But is it a .45, so... ;)

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Steel Cases VS Brass Cases

Call me OS I do not like steel ammo cases, the fact the steel is not as forgiving as brass. Based on my metallurgy experience and training the heating of steal cases can cause brittleness and fractures far less than brass does.

Brass can be annealed to correct hardness as the grain structure is much different than steel. Steel cased can be heated to be softer however they then are prone to cracking . Steel has become more popular for ammo cases because it is cheaper to produce than brass cases.

Steel cases do have a higher strength than brass and that is why the military uses steel for large ammo 50 caliber and above. Also, they do not intend for the cases to be reused.

If you intend to reload steel cases you will need to pay real close attention to their condition. Also steel cases are a bitch on reloading dies. Another thought if you do not buy them the manufactures will not make them.
    Just my thoughts.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Call me OS I do not like steel ammo cases, the fact the steel is not as forgiving as brass. Based on my metallurgy experience and training the heating of steal cases can cause brittleness and fractures far less than brass does.

Brass can be annealed to correct hardness as the grain structure is much different than steel. Steel cased can be heated to be softer however they then are prone to cracking . Steel has become more popular for ammo cases because it is cheaper to produce than brass cases.

Steel cases do have a higher strength than brass and that is why the military uses steel for large ammo 50 caliber and above. Also, they do not intend for the cases to be reused.

If you intend to reload steel cases you will need to pay real close attention to their condition. Also steel cases are a bitch on reloading dies. Another thought if you do not buy them the manufactures will not make them.
    Just my thoughts.

Most of what you state has nothing to do with firing the steel cases ammo.

It could be a factor for reloading.

And by the way, steel can also be annealed. But it can also be tempered.

Also, US 50 cal is brass cased. And many of the larger rounds are aluminum cased.

And 105mm howitzer rounds are brass. As were the Navy 5 inch 38 caliber AA guns.

What large caliber rounds are specifically steel cased?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I’ve had and do shoot A LOT of steel cases ammo. I’ve never had an issue with in in any firearm.
    I’ve heard it’s harder on your extractors, as steel doesn’t expand and contract like brass does.
    If you shoot enough/often I figured if shooting steel cased ammo cost me the price of and extractor every once in a while, I’m still to the good. Extractors are usually a cheap part, and I’ll more than save my money shooting steel cases. So far, I haven’t replaced an extractor yet. Been shooting steel cases ammo since the mid 1990’s.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I’ve had and do shoot A LOT of steel cases ammo. I’ve never had an issue with in in any firearm.
    I’ve heard it’s harder on your extractors, as steel doesn’t expand and contract like brass does.
    If you shoot enough/often I figured if shooting steel cased ammo cost me the price of and extractor every once in a while, I’m still to the good. Extractors are usually a cheap part, and I’ll more than save my money shooting steel cases. So far, I haven’t replaced an extractor yet. Been shooting steel cases ammo since the mid 1990’s.

And you shoot caseless ammo, too. Black powder. So it all evens out! :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom