• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My son called MSP and asked if his truck is parked for the required 10hrs off duty time and he is in his sleeper part of the truck, then they consider it his home or at least a room where he is resting and can have his pistol assembled in the truck otherwise it needs to be locked up in a safe and the ammo kept in a separate container according to federal law while he is in transit from one place to another. Same thing if he is parked and taking his 34hr required off duty time as well. He also has a copy of the federal law for transporting firearms as well. I think he asked for it in writing and they sent him a letter to his home of record to carry with him.

That would be rare. I thought only members of MSL could request opinions like that.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My son called MSP and asked if his truck is parked for the required 10hrs off duty time and he is in his sleeper part of the truck, then they consider it his home or at least a room where he is resting and can have his pistol assembled in the truck otherwise it needs to be locked up in a safe and the ammo kept in a separate container according to federal law while he is in transit from one place to another. Same thing if he is parked and taking his 34hr required off duty time as well. He also has a copy of the federal law for transporting firearms as well. I think he asked for it in writing and they sent him a letter to his home of record to carry with him.

That would be rare. I thought only members of MSL could request opinions like that. Assuming they didn't just quote the law.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That would be rare. I thought only members of MSL could request opinions like that. Assuming they didn't just quote the law.

I asked a similar question to the NJ state police referencing an inlaws' home as a home for purposes of transport.
    They gave me nothing more than regurgitate the statute back to me.

Glad MD at least gave some guidance.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    The OP's original post reads like a textbook example of a scam email - incomplete sentences, inappropriate words, etc. The OP also posted a similar question as "Doing Some Traveling". In the other post the OP refers to taking a pistol to the eastern shore with a stop-over in St. Michaels. (Interestingly, in this post he refers to taking a collection.)

OP's other post >> https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=256853

The poster may be legitimate, but I would be cautious - "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck ..."

To the OP - call MSP, local police department, SA, or an attorney in the jurisdiction where the hotel is located if you are looking for legal advice.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    I've had friends ask me about staying in hotels too, and I wasn't sure the answer. They'd be in the state for a competition so they'd go from the hotel to the range then leave the state.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've had friends ask me about staying in hotels too, and I wasn't sure the answer. They'd be in the state for a competition so they'd go from the hotel to the range then leave the state.

Don’t know. Seems that a hotel room you rent would count. The law says bona fide residence. That translates as “good faith”. But it also has a specific meaning in other areas of state and federal law referring to someone who has establish residency somewhere and lived there for at least 365 days.

I suspect they really mean “good faith”. As in not just claiming “oh, I was going to go stay with a friend when you pulled me over. So I was going between my ‘residences’”

A lot of legal history that renting a room or property establishes it for the duration as your residence with a lot of those rights and protections under the law.

Downside, a non-gratuitious exchange usually doesn’t do that. So staying with a buddy or family member probably wouldn’t extend the same legal protections.

Anyway, so bona fire residence is probably going to establish some burden of proof/affirmative defense on the person charged. Show you were. “Well officer” or if it gets to court “we’d like to enter in to evidence”

“See I have a suit case in my trunk with my handgun case and unloaded handgun along with a reservation at a holiday inn express I was en route to. Gee look I even have the directions up on my phone to get there”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom