I anticipate unanticipated troubleahead for 2A...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tjaw

Nov 14, 2014
    Monkton, MD.
    I am all for the surge in new gun ownership across the U.S. The more people owning guns, the less likelihood of gun confiscation by the PTB. We all know that the true agenda of the PTB is abolishing the private ownership of firearms. The ostensible agenda is "Common-sense gun laws". The 2A is on its way to being hollowed out by the PTB, without the need to repeal the amendment.

I do anticipate unanticipated trouble ahead, though my evidence is anecdotal. Many of the new shooters at *** gun range (multiple people per lane, and many of the guns are rentals) are spending far too much time on their phones, and not the guns. If I was King for a Day, I would add a rule that prohibits non-emergency use of phones in the range. Oh, wait, these are the same people who obviously do not read the rules, otherwise their lanes and the area behind them would not be brass-filled when they leave.

Walking on brass poses a safety hazzard, and walking on brass is unavoidable. The greater safety hazzard is the improper and unsafe gun-handling.

To my point about unanticipated trouble for 2A, the lackadaisical gun-handling at the range will transfer beyond the gun range. People are going to get shot. There does not need to be many such cases to go national, as the MSM is always poised to jump on evil guns, and more calls for the common-sense laws. The MSM controls the news that many (most?) people get. The message will be to leave personal and family defense to the professionals, Law Enforcement and Military personnel.

Statistically, there will be number of accidental shootings, and the population for the statisics is in the millions, given the number of new shooters, so the number of corner cases (accidental shootings) will be relatively large. Sigh. 8|

My corollary point is that these folks are not learning how to properly and safely handle firearms. I do acknowledge that my evidence is anecdotal, and might not correlate to the population. OTOH, how many anecdotes does it take to make this statistically significant?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    BGOS?

If you witness a safety violation, it is your responsibility to bring it to light in that moment, so it can be remediated.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    snip...

My corollary point is that these folks are not learning how to properly and safely handle firearms. I do acknowledge that my evidence is anecdotal, and might not correlate to the population. OTOH, how many anecdotes does it take to make this statistically significant?

Uneducated and careless folks have always been a problem, and any incidents of negligence will be amplified by the current dictators to our detriment. I share your concerns.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    We could have solved the problem by making 1 year mandatory military service for everyone. However, this is America and we don't make people do anything. So we have to live with the bad and the good.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    If I was King for a Day, I would.....

... be up for a game of regicide?

Sorry, but we do not need any more rules or regulations. Common sense gun laws always seem to fail when it comes to my definition of "common sense" and end up being another law that tries to fix stupid.

If you have ever been at a hunter sight-in or other event where people that shoot few rounds and far in between show up, you could have seen the same scenes happen for decades on end. You cannot really fix stupid (well, unless they fix themselves, then it is called darwin awards) but you can educate them and they end up being not stoopid anymore. If you see unsafe handling at the range, be friendly and correct them.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Firearms related accidents have been declining in this country for well over 100 years.
    And Fu(k the MSM. They're going to spin what they want to spin, regardless of the facts.

There's a risk inherent to anything and everything. One can fall and break his or her neck in the shower. Please God, forbid that people stop taking showers. I wouldn't want to be anywhere close by. And God forbid also that they start government assigned shower monitors. Some moonbeam idiot somewhere will think that's a great idea. They can also ration the water while they're at it.

The best thing we can do is to teach our own. Folks new to any endeavor will never know what they don't know. That's just a fact. Nothing new about that fact. We all need to keep our eyes open, anticipate problems where we can, and lend direction to new folks when need be.

tjaw

Nov 14, 2014
    Monkton, MD.
    What makes you think that I did not say something?

Don’t be a Karen.

If you see something, say something.

These are the same issues that have gone on at public ranges forever.

What makes you think that I did not immediately (and not via phone) report a safety violation? There is certainly nothing in my post that suggests otherwise.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I am all for the surge in new gun ownership across the U.S. The more people owning guns, the less likelihood of gun confiscation by the PTB. We all know that the true agenda of the PTB is abolishing the private ownership of firearms. The ostensible agenda is "Common-sense gun laws". The 2A is on its way to being hollowed out by the PTB, without the need to repeal the amendment.

I do anticipate unanticipated trouble ahead, though my evidence is anecdotal. Many of the new shooters at *** gun range (multiple people per lane, and many of the guns are rentals) are spending far too much time on their phones, and not the guns. If I was King for a Day, I would add a rule that prohibits non-emergency use of phones in the range. Oh, wait, these are the same people who obviously do not read the rules, otherwise their lanes and the area behind them would not be brass-filled when they leave.

Walking on brass poses a safety hazzard, and walking on brass is unavoidable. The greater safety hazzard is the improper and unsafe gun-handling.

To my point about unanticipated trouble for 2A, the lackadaisical gun-handling at the range will transfer beyond the gun range. People are going to get shot. There does not need to be many such cases to go national, as the MSM is always poised to jump on evil guns, and more calls for the common-sense laws. The MSM controls the news that many (most?) people get. The message will be to leave personal and family defense to the professionals, Law Enforcement and Military personnel.

Statistically, there will be number of accidental shootings, and the population for the statisics is in the millions, given the number of new shooters, so the number of corner cases (accidental shootings) will be relatively large. Sigh. 8|

Maybe, we'll all get lucky and they'll only kill themselves driving or doing something else first.

Nearly everywhere one could go anymore, theirs some morons with a bunch of phones glued to their face like a pack of idiots.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    If memory serves me correctly before the 2013 md law changes a person had to have gun safety training to purchase any gun from an ffl in md. After 2013 no training required for long guns or cr hand guns. So in the effort to make us all safer the rule makers took away safety training requirements. Rules could make things safer if the rule makers had an interest in doing that, but they don't. Anything we do or don't do as gun owners will be used against us. The only thing you can do is be a safe and pass safe practices on to others.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    If memory serves me correctly before the 2013 md law changes a person had to have gun safety training to purchase any gun from an ffl in md. After 2013 no training required for long guns or cr hand guns. So in the effort to make us all safer the rule makers took away safety training requirements. Rules could make things safer if the rule makers had an interest in doing that, but they don't. Anything we do or don't do as gun owners will be used against us. The only thing you can do is be a safe and pass safe practices on to others.
    Emphasis mine, but this is the way. Don't count on government. Anything Maryland does or wants you to do is for someone else's benefit, not for yours.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I anticipate more trouble for the 2A, but not because of crappy range behavior.

We had our local psycho-ignored murders in Windsor Mill and at least 3 shootings with multiple injured or killed in each across the country this weekend that made foxnews.com. I'm sure cnn harped on it, but I won't give them a single click in their stats.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    From '96 to '13 had the " Training Card " for handgun purchases . Took a year or so to shake out , but eventually most people watched a 20 minute video produced by MFLDA ( Md Licensed Firearms Dealer Assn) .

There never has been a training requirement for Long Guns , albeit a cpl years ago a Long Gun Qualification License was proposed .

Shooting accidents are very rare , and the trend has long been downwards .

But of course range safety is important . Despite having designed staff individuals , Everyone is a Range Safety person , and should always be on the lookout .

There have always been new shooters , the only difference in the past year or so is raw numbers . Our community needs to continue to reach out to the newbies , as we always have .

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Simple solution, since private gun ownership is on the rise, let’s have a “common sense” law that puts firearms training in the schools. Training not done by the liberal anti gun faculty, but by firearms professionals. If everyone is at least exposed to firearms safety and actually uses a gun, maybe some of that training might stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Don’t be a Karen.

If you see something, say something.

These are the same issues that have gone on at public ranges forever.

Isn't that the definition of being a Karen? Getting up in other peoples business when you have no authority to do so? Tell the RSO that's their job. I'm not a cop. I'm not going to chase a speeder down to tell them they are breaking the law. If the infraction is that egregious call the cops.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The whole concept of routinely having specified RSO is relatively recent . Traditional is for Everyone to be de facto range ofc , and always point out any safety issue to other members .

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    From '96 to '13 had the " Training Card " for handgun purchases . Took a year or so to shake out , but eventually most people watched a 20 minute video produced by MFLDA ( Md Licensed Firearms Dealer Assn) .

There never has been a training requirement for Long Guns , albeit a cpl years ago a Long Gun Qualification License was proposed .

I knew I had to show my hunter safety card for something thanks for the clarification.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    We could have solved the problem by making 1 year mandatory military service for everyone. However, this is America and we don't make people do anything. So we have to live with the bad and the good.

Couldn't agree more, but I would have said three years. One year isn't enough to really make it worthwhile...

Kmic14

Slimy Member
    Apr 17, 2020
    Baltimore City
    Simple solution, since private gun ownership is on the rise, let’s have a “common sense” law that puts firearms training in the schools. Training not done by the liberal anti gun faculty, but by firearms professionals. If everyone is at least exposed to firearms safety and actually uses a gun, maybe some of that training might stick.

I love this idea. In addition to the necessary education the familiarity may offer a reasonable counter to pearl-clutchers who tense at even the thought of a "scary black firearm"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom