I anticipate unanticipated troubleahead for 2A...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think that this will be similar to many other surges - eventually the surge will subside and things will relax to a more normal place.

I was chatting with a guy at a shop a few days ago about the fact that all guns just seem to be flying off of the shelves. He anticipates that many of these new gun owners' interest will start to wane and we're going to see a whole lotta cheap and good used guns on the market in a couple of years. The same thing will happen with reloading equipment.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I think that this will be similar to many other surges - eventually the surge will subside and things will relax to a more normal place.

I was chatting with a guy at a shop a few days ago about the fact that all guns just seem to be flying off of the shelves. He anticipates that many of these new gun owners' interest will start to wane and we're going to see a whole lotta cheap and good used guns on the market in a couple of years. The same thing will happen with reloading equipment.

Fingers crossed.

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    We could have solved the problem by making 1 year mandatory military service for everyone. However, this is America and we don't make people do anything. So we have to live with the bad and the good.

Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but:

I've shot with many military "trained" shooters, and many of them are the worst offenders.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    My corollary point is that these folks are not learning how to properly and safely handle firearms. I do acknowledge that my evidence is anecdotal, and might not correlate to the population. OTOH, how many anecdotes does it take to make this statistically significant?

What argument do you have to support no qualifications for speaking, praying, voting, going about your business unhindered by the government.

There is an inherent cost to freedom and if you are not willing to pay that cost if it comes to it then you don't deserve freedom.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Any form of gun control is reinforcing systematic racism and the racist roots of gun control.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    We could have solved the problem by making 1 year mandatory military service for everyone. However, this is America and we don't make people do anything. So we have to live with the bad and the good.

Maybe you missed the days of the Selective Service System?
    Then there's taxes; you're not "made" to pay them.
    Eight or nine hundred pounds' worth of law books don't make you obey what's in them.

Heinlein's concept of non-compulsory service to the state in order to gain voting franchise has some merit, as does the idea that contributing to the state via paying taxes and/or owning property would be necessary in order to exercise that franchise.

Needing to have "skin in the game" in order to have input on the policies underpinning the direction of government is a sound concept, as it removes those whose sole contact with the state is feeding at the public trough.

All this will not come to pass, of course, as it would cut deeply into the profits of our elected leaders. In 1913, they passed an amendment for an income tax, and they never looked back.

A bit of a sidetrack, but the graph below is fascinating:

Attachments

• Federal_taxes_by_type.pdf.jpg
      Federal_taxes_by_type.pdf.jpg
      26.8 KB · Views: 102

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but:

I've shot with many military "trained" shooters, and many of them are the worst offenders.

As someone who trained shooters in the military, many were the worst. Pre-GWOT the Navy never handled or fired firearms in boot camp for many years. You would have many support people who could spend years in and never shoot. We would get people who were absolutely horrified of a firearm, some would drop it after the first shot. There was also a reason we were always armed when on the range.

In current times there is a lot more training done. Infantry trainees do live fire team movements. Any flagging, NDs, or other violations are serious and handled.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    If you are at your range or club, it is your duty to let either the RSO or the person know why it's wrong. I see people doing all kinda stupid things, some from experienced shooters, as well as new shooters. Most new shooters are receptive to pointers on safety, the more experienced shooters are resistant at best, if approached right they will listen, if they don't I make it a point to notify the RSO as I'm allergic to high speed lead intrusion. In many discussions with other shooters, gun owners, most are fed up with the federal governments attempts to strip our rights and are no longer listening to the Feds. As for gun confiscation, that's probably the tipping point into the 2nd American Revolution. I don't put anything past the turnip in office and his handlers, but should they attempt confiscation it's not going to end well for them. This is in no way a threat, it's just that should they attempt to confiscate anyone's firearms they are violating the very Constitution they swore to uphold and will be held accountable for that action. The 2nd Amendment isn't going anywhere as long as we stand the line. Semper Fi.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    As someone who trained shooters in the military, many were the worst. Pre-GWOT the Navy never handled or fired firearms in boot camp for many years. You would have many support people who could spend years in and never shoot. We would get people who were absolutely horrified of a firearm, some would drop it after the first shot. There was also a reason we were always armed when on the range.

In current times there is a lot more training done. Infantry trainees do live fire team movements. Any flagging, NDs, or other violations are serious and handled.
    My niece and her husband were visiting several years ago. He was active duty navy. Served aboard aircraft carriers as a flight mechanic.

I was heading to the range and asked him if he'd like to join me. We head out to AGC at the 200yd range. I hand him an ar15 and turn him loose. I look over after a bit, and he was having some problems. He did not know how to operate the gun.

In my head I was going "OMG, you are military and you can't shoot a rifle, WTF are they teaching you?"

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom