• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knupp

Usurper of Cookies
    Feb 9, 2010
    Pasadena
    I am possibly selling my Glock 23 to make the big jump up to a Springfield Ultra Compact .45. Does anyone have any experience with this weapon? I would be using it as an off-duty CC. My main concerns are the reported problems with compact 1911's FTF and FTE. Comments?

Knupp

Usurper of Cookies
    Feb 9, 2010
    Pasadena
    who is it an upgrade? not trying to be a difficult wondering on your logic?
    I'm guessing you're asking "why" is it an upgrade, I am interested in the aforementioned 1911 because it is comparable in size to my Glock and it's a .45 caliber. It's not too hard on the eyes either. I call it an upgrade because it's a "nicer" pistol IMO. I have always loved the 1911 and now I can afford one.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I am possibly selling my Glock 23 to make the big jump up to a Springfield Ultra Compact .45. Does anyone have any experience with this weapon? I would be using it as an off-duty CC. My main concerns are the reported problems with compact 1911's FTF and FTE. Comments?

I had one, what a pile of sh!t it was.

I really loved the fact that it was so small and compact yet held 12 rounds... but it had so many failures to feed that I finally gave up on it and traded it in for a Springfield XD.

If you get one that feeds reliably, go for it... mine never failed to extract, it always had problems with feeding, and no amount of gunsmithing ever fixed it. It was in 3 or 4 times.

Trust your life to it only if you can prove that it won't malfunction when you need it. Mine, it was crap. I'll add that it's a brick, it weighs a ton, as a carry weapon, that sucks too.

Mark

Knupp

Usurper of Cookies
    Feb 9, 2010
    Pasadena
    ... but it had so many failures to feed that I finally gave up on it and traded it in for a Springfield XD.
    Mark
    This is precisely what I've heard. Thanks for the info. I, too, am considering an XDM in .45 as an alternative to the SA UC. I have shot my buddy's and the ergonomics are as sweet as the accuracy.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    This is precisely what I've heard. Thanks for the info. I, too, am considering an XDM in .45 as an alternative to the SA UC. I have shot my buddy's and the ergonomics are as sweet as the accuracy.

I love the XD, I am really VERY accurate with it and I think it's the ergonomics. I am glad that I gave Springfield a second chance, because I almost ended up with a Glock. Glocks are great little guns, but I am more accurate with the XD for whatever reason.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I'm guessing you're asking "why" is it an upgrade, I am interested in the aforementioned 1911 because it is comparable in size to my Glock and it's a .45 caliber. It's not too hard on the eyes either. I call it an upgrade because it's a "nicer" pistol IMO. I have always loved the 1911 and now I can afford one.

Whats you're duty pistol??

something you want to think about is when you're chosing and OD weapon that the mechanics should be do different from your training with you duty weapon.

Going to a 1911 SAO pistol is a different animal. remember that when experiencing a great amount of stress you revert back to your training. Something you want to consider!!!

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    function>looks when your lifes on the line. take a chance with a gun thats known to malfunction and selling one of the most reliable guns ever made to get it seems very odd. good luck on your search though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't mess with the laws of physics, or the gost of JMB. If you want a 1911 platform, commit to a 4.0 , preferably 4.25 in bbl. If you want a smaller .45acp there are multiple non-JMB platforms.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008

Mark

+1
    I had one years ago. It was such a POS I ended up selling it at a loss just to make it go away. After my experience with that turd I would never trust one to function reliability as a paper weight.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    FWIW , for a while I had a Para P12 , and it actually worked ok for me. BUT even when a short 1911 is carefully setup to actually work , it is on the ragged edge of stroke length, slide velocity , bbl angle, and carefully calibtated springs. All with no margin of error. Little margin for less than perfect grip or stance. And those carefully calibrated springs quickly fatigue. Not a brand specific thingan as much as inherent to a shorty 1911 in general.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

I really loved the fact that it was so small and compact yet held 12 rounds... but it had so many failures to feed that I finally gave up on it and traded it in for a Springfield XD.

If you get one that feeds reliably, go for it... mine never failed to extract, it always had problems with feeding, and no amount of gunsmithing ever fixed it. It was in 3 or 4 times.

Trust your life to it only if you can prove that it won't malfunction when you need it. Mine, it was crap. I'll add that it's a brick, it weighs a ton, as a carry weapon, that sucks too.

Mark

FWIW , for a while I had a Para P12 , and it actually worked ok for me. BUT even when a short 1911 is carefully setup to actually work , it is on the ragged edge of stroke length, slide velocity , bbl angle, and carefully calibtated springs. All with no margin of error. Little margin for less than perfect grip or stance. And those carefully calibrated springs quickly fatigue. Not a brand specific thingan as much as inherent to a shorty 1911 in general.

I thought the original question was about this? Springfield Armory ultra compact 1911

Tim460

May 22, 2010
    Baltimore Co.
    I have an XDM 45 and it's a nice shooter. The grip is pretty long even compared to a full size Glock so it definitely wouldn't be the best cc gun around, especially in the warmer months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom