• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Congradulations ! Those bullets shoot well for you , and you have tailored the alloy to give exactly the characteristic you desire. And you did so using an alloy of 1% antimony. Which would be kinda equiv to about 3% Tn , and have a Bn number in the neighborhood of 10 . Unless you were water quenching or heat treating. But for sabot use neither of those should be nesecary.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    The OP has his method, no real need to argue it further. Somebody interested can do the math for themselves. Frankly, a chemist could come along and technically prove you all wrong because you are measuring by raw weight rather than mole units. :)

My question was based on that I like to see peoples' rigs for doing the melt and casting. Everyone develops their own setup and process based on what they have available and how much they want to spend.. sometimes you see some real ingenious solutions using uncommon materials, and sometimes you see a really slick setup that makes the process extremely efficient and safe.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The only way you will really know the hardness of the lead is with "lead hardness tester". Otherwise you are just guessing blind, no matter the math.

Thanks DCR.

This thread has gotten so far in to left field ( again. as usual ) I gave up on the thread altogether until I just stumbled upon it. One thing that never ceases to amaze me on this forum is the ability of some folks to completely over analyze threads and replies. I don't give a rats ass how Einstein one thinks they are to be perfectly honest. I was asked a question, I answered it. There's no need to show how down-to-the-fraction you can be. I said I have three bars of lead and one has 3% Antimony. WE DON'T CARE HOW MANY %'S ARE IN THE BULLET. DO YOU UNDERSTAND YET ?

I have walked from this forum a few times and I think I keep coming back because I know there are some intelligent folks here who know how converse socially without trying to prove how smart they are. We don't care. Then there's the ding dongs who who take simple things way off topic. It's both funny and sad. Can we get back on topic please.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    These two sentences contradict each other. In the first you claim to not have 3% (which is correct because you have 1%) and then in the second you just want us to understand you have 3% LOL.

I don't mold bullets, so I don't care if you have 1%, 3% or 30% antimony, but I just want it to be clear to anyone who might want to replicate your results. I don't even know how much of a difference the antimony makes.

Look dumbass, PAY ATTENTION WILL YOU.

I do have 3% in the total mix. I do not have 3% in the single bullet. I do have 3% in the Mix, so, therefore it is not 1%. 3% of anything in a total of something is still 3% regardless. You had low marks in math. I'm sure of it.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Congradulations ! Those bullets shoot well for you , and you have tailored the alloy to give exactly the characteristic you desire. And you did so using an alloy of 1% antimony. Which would be kinda equiv to about 3% Tn , and have a Bn number in the neighborhood of 10 . Unless you were water quenching or heat treating. But for sabot use neither of those should be nesecary.

The point of my mix and tests was to find a bullet that would "mushroom" to a certain point and not under or over expand a desired point. Most commercial ML bullets don't do a thing but disintegrate in to nothing or don't expand at all. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with something would lay flat as a quarter. It worked. The final outcome was the 3% in the pot. Using 6% ( two bars of 3% ) was too much. Now what the actual % per bullet is is of no concern unless one has nothing better to, so, the math of 1% is not accurate, per bullet.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

I do have 3% in the total mix. I do not have 3% in the single bullet. I do have 3% in the Mix, so, therefore it is not 1%. 3% of anything in a total of something is still 3% regardless. You had low marks in math. I'm sure of it.

Too bad you have an attitude as you really do seem to have something to add to the forum. I hope the others let this drop as it is clear you do not care to learn.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

Sorry, but Numidian is 100% correct.

This is elementary-school-level math, here... not "Einstein" whiz-bang stuff.

1 pound of 97% lead/3% antimony, plus 2 pounds of 100% lead, yields a mixture containing 99% lead, and 1% antimony, period.

And no amount of CAPITALIZING, calling someone a "dumbass", or other childish nonsense is going to change that fact.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm going to explain this once again, I'm typing slow, so you can try to follow along.... I even made a picture for you....

You have 3 parts Antimony and 97 parts lead for the first bar. You then add 200 parts lead. This give you a total of 3 parts antimony and 297 parts lead.

We divide 3 by 300(the total amount of parts) and we get .01. Multiply that by 100 and you get the percentage. 1%.

When you melt all 3 bars down, they mix together. This evenly distributes the antimony between all 3 bars. I don't know how else to put this.

Now for the pictures. Notice how there is only 3 blocks of antimony in the first bar... No more antimony is introduced to the mixture. So those 3 blocks get evenly distributed between all 3 bars.

Attachments

• Antimony.jpg
      Antimony.jpg
      16.2 KB · Views: 1,216
    • Lead.jpg
      Lead.jpg
      15.8 KB · Views: 1,215
    • Lead1.jpg
      Lead1.jpg
      15.8 KB · Views: 1,220

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

You fail. You dilute the antimony with pure lead. You now have 1% antimony. If people are asking for your recipe, it IS important. Trust me, I'm from the internets....

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    You are all wrong... :cool:
    1 bar with 3% dilution + 2 bars w/0% dilution = 3% of 1/3 of the total mix.

3% of 1/3 is not 3% of the whole. So there is actually less than 1% dilution in the total mix.

It actually works out to .99% dilution in the total mix of melted metal. Thus it amounts to .99% dilution per boolit.

To end up with 3% total dilution in the boolits, ALL three bars would have to start out at 3% dilution. :D

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    You are all wrong... :cool:
    1 bar with 3% dilution + 2 bars w/0% dilution = 3% of 1/3 of the total mix.

3% of 1/3 is not 3% of the whole. So there is actually less than 1% dilution in the total mix.

It actually works out to .99% dilution in the total mix of melted metal. Thus it amounts to .99% dilution per boolit.

No. 1/3 of 3% is still 1%. Not ".99%". If you're using a calculator, you're probably misinterpreting ".9999999999..." to mean .99, which is incorrect. This is merely a manifestation of rounding decimal terms, a shortcoming of any digital floating-point operation. Many calculators, if you divide 1/3, then multiply again by 3, will show 0.99999999, an obvious error. That's the nature of digital calculators.

See Numidian's graphic above. It explains this perfectly, in visual terms.

To end up with 3% total dilution in the boolits, ALL three bars would have to start out at 3% dilution. :D

That much is correct.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Wait a sec. I was always told some 'shrooms are even more toxic than lead. Y'all better wash y'all's hands!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom