• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    WCP is in the works, so here's a question: what do you do when you're carrying and need to stop in someplace (like a Post Office, or some Federal buildings, or other places) where you can't carry? It's not always practical to go home, store the carry pistol, then go out again on a separate trip to visit those places. So I'm thinking I need a decent lockbox for the car where I can stash a holstered pistol while I run in to visit the "gun free zone" in question.

Advice and recommendations welcome!

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I have an integrated gun safe in my truck. Be aware, in the instances and reasons you referenced, the firearm cannot be on the property, not just in the building.

PkPjYU.jpg

zapCCp.jpg

Last edited:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have an integrated gun safe in my truck. Be aware, in the instances and reasons you referenced, the firearm cannot be on the property..

PkPjYU.jpg

zapCCp.jpg

This right here is the best answer. A lockable center console, glove box or metal safe with a cable bolted to something are tied for second way down on the scale.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    ^^ yep, my E&G shown is arguably one of the best, heavy duty steel, and bolts down to the truck’s structure. And, it looks like it’s a factory option. I’m very happy with it.......

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I seem to recall there was some debate before about whether or not it was technically legal to leave a loaded firearm in a vehicle. I don't really remember the resolution.

I don't really worry about lock boxes personally. I would just leave it in the glove compartment or center console. The chances of someone smashing your window and stealing your gun are incredibly small. And if they do, they get your six or seven hundred dollar gun. That sucks but isn't worth a $300 safe. Not to me. The chances are so remote.

Now that would change if I had children.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not everyone has a full size truck with large consoles that most of these lock boxes are made for. And most people get more use out of their console then to have a box take up most of the room.
    Pretty sure no one is going to smash and grab your vehicle in the post office parking lot the 10 minutes you're in there during the daytime.
    If you're that worried, get one of those cheap lock boxes with a cable. Wrap the cable around a seat post and leave the box under the seat.
    I use it under my rear seat. I also lace the cable up through the mag well and out the ejection port of my AR pistol sometimes.
    Certainly enough to keep the casual car thief from taking anything. Especially if they even take the time to lift the seats up. Which they won't.
    727a063ca9b372e3999425d71a63947f.jpg

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I have an integrated gun safe in my truck. Be aware, in the instances and reasons you referenced, the firearm cannot be on the property, not just in the building.

That's nice, where did you get it?

And yes, good reminder that parking lots of prohibited places == prohibited places. So most of the time things like a post office visit, trip to the kid's school, etc., will be "oh, can't stop in there now, I'll go back out later"

Lots of things to be aware of, aren't there.

Not everyone has a full size truck with large consoles that most of these lock boxes are made for. And most people get more use out of their console then to have a box take up most of the room.
    Pretty sure no one is going to smash and grab your vehicle in the post office parking lot the 10 minutes you're in there during the daytime.
    If you're that worried, get one of those cheap lock boxes with a cable. Wrap the cable around a seat post and leave the box under the seat.
    I use it under my rear seat. I also lace the cable up through the mag well and out the ejection port of my AR pistol sometimes.
    Certainly enough to keep the casual car thief from taking anything. Especially if they even take the time to lift the seats up. Which they won't.

^^^^^^^
    You really cant beat one of these. I paid something like $30 for mine and its well made, really hard to try to pry (especially with a car alarm going off) and big enough for a 1911 with a light.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

Your post makes me think I'm doing it right.
    Same set up I have. I can't remember where I got them...maybe Amazon, but you got 2 boxes and 4 keys keyed the same. One for my car and one for the truck.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    That's nice, where did you get it?

And yes, good reminder that parking lots of prohibited places == prohibited places. So most of the time things like a post office visit, trip to the kid's school, etc., will be "oh, can't stop in there now, I'll go back out later"

Lots of things to be aware of, aren't there.

The E&G safe came from ApolloOptics. Nick provides Great customer service and pricing. it looks and fits like factory and only takes up half of the console, the passenger side is stock with partitions on the bottom and removable shelf on the top. It’s readily accessible and can be opened in ~3 seconds, and you don’t have to get out of the vehicle and dig around under seats, fumble for keys, etc. to store something. I also have a quality Hornady cable box that I use when I’m in one of my other cars and need to store something. It’s not nearly as handy, but it works. Good luck....

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville

Same thing I use.

I believe on the property, even locked in safe in car, is still a no go,,, but check with a knowledgeable attorney.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Same thing I use.

I believe on the property, even locked in safe in car, is still a no go,,, but check with a knowledgeable attorney.
    No need to check with an attorney. Not allowed on Federal property.
    That was just an example of a small amount of time being away from your vehicle. General use.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I've been told storage is a no no, and I believe that thread concluded the same.

Full Disclosure: I love the cabled lock box, thinking of switching to a "keyed" version for use in the dark / keeping eyes on other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom