• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Just for the record, the only way you would have a problem with your gun is if you hold it in such a way that the grip safety is not activated, and even then, it's next to impossible for there to be a problem.

Basically, if the grip safety is not activated, the striker can stay in the forward position, not will, but it CAN. So the thought it that with the striker forward, if the slide goes home, it might accidentally set off a round.

I tried over 50 times to make my XDS fire this way, and not only did it not happen, but it wouldn't even make more than the very most superficial mark on the primer, literally you could not see it without a magnifying glass- LITERALLY!

I'm not sending in mine for repair.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    Just for the record, the only way you would have a problem with your gun is if you hold it in such a way that the grip safety is not activated, and even then, it's next to impossible for there to be a problem.

Basically, if the grip safety is not activated, the striker can stay in the forward position, not will, but it CAN. So the thought it that with the striker forward, if the slide goes home, it might accidentally set off a round.

I tried over 50 times to make my XDS fire this way, and not only did it not happen, but it wouldn't even make more than the very most superficial mark on the primer, literally you could not see it without a magnifying glass- LITERALLY!

So if and when it fails and you hurt yourself or someone else what then? By February they will be caught up and repairing in weeks nt months

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I sent mine in Sept and got it back Dec. 26th. No one likes to be without a firearm that they've paid good money for. However, for everyone that is/was "so upset", why were you "upset" "not happy"? I think I would have been upset if that were my only handgun, but have plenty of those. At least the damn thing didn't blow up in my face. I've ordered custom holsters that took almost 8 weeks to get back, why not wait 12 weeks to get your life-saving device back? Am I missing something?

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    I sent mine in Sept and got it back Dec. 26th. No one likes to be without a firearm that they've paid good money for. However, for everyone that is/was "so upset", why were you "upset" "not happy"? I think I would have been upset if that were my only handgun, but have plenty of those. At least the damn thing didn't blow up in my face. I've ordered custom holsters that took almost 8 weeks to get back, why not wait 12 weeks to get your life-saving device back? Am I missing something?

If you go back and read my posts I state why I wasn't happy. I am glad I get my firearm back but 4 1/2 months is not acceptable to me.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    OK, so the time. I get it, but they send you a $40+ mag back for your troubles. I'm ok with that. I actually sent mine back in a box wrapped in packing material. I got it back in a blown case with a free extended mag and all the manuals new. I didn't have those.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    So if and when it fails and you hurt yourself or someone else what then? By February they will be caught up and repairing in weeks nt months

You don't seem to understand...

If you hold the gun like a gun, and the grip safety is depressed, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY THE GUN WILL ACCIDENTALLY FIRE.

The problem they wanted to 'fix' was that the grip safety, if not depressed, would not allow the trigger to reset, leaving the striker in the forward position. Even with the striker forward, and me ACTIVELY TRYING to make the gun fire this way, I could not only not get it to do so, I could not get it to even make a discernible mark on the primer.

The SA literature says that the gun could go off unitentionally IMMEDIATELY after the slide is released IF the grip safety is not depressed properly, or that there could be a situation where the gun fires twice in succession when the weapon's owner only pulled the trigger once. Not only do both of these situations require the grip safety to be not depressed, but that the firing pin would have enough mass to be flung forward by the recoil spring and set off the round.

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't go about chambering rounds while pointing my gun at people, and I'm not in the habit of holding my gun like a woman, or some kind of retarded imbecile so as to not be actuating the grip safety. I seriously doubt that there will ever be a time when I will injure someone this way.

Even if you WERE super afraid of this, you could just use a rubber band to keep the grip safety permanently engaged, in which case there would be no conceivable problem.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    You don't seem to understand...

If you hold the gun like a gun, and the grip safety is depressed, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY THE GUN WILL ACCIDENTALLY FIRE.

The problem they wanted to 'fix' was that the grip safety, if not depressed, would not allow the trigger to reset, leaving the striker in the forward position. Even with the striker forward, and me ACTIVELY TRYING to make the gun fire this way, I could not only not get it to do so, I could not get it to even make a discernible mark on the primer.

The SA literature says that the gun could go off unitentionally IMMEDIATELY after the slide is released IF the grip safety is not depressed properly, or that there could be a situation where the gun fires twice in succession when the weapon's owner only pulled the trigger once. Not only do both of these situations require the grip safety to be not depressed, but that the firing pin would have enough mass to be flung forward by the recoil spring and set off the round.

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't go about chambering rounds while pointing my gun at people, and I'm not in the habit of holding my gun like a woman, or some kind of retarded imbecile so as to not be actuating the grip safety. I seriously doubt that there will ever be a time when I will injure someone this way.

Even if you WERE super afraid of this, you could just use a rubber band to keep the grip safety permanently engaged, in which case there would be no conceivable problem.

I understand plenty, a firearm I owned was safety recalled, it was sent in and corrected as per the manufacturer, maybe you don't seem to understand what a safety recall means.

In light of not getting into a pissing match with you over the Internet, since you seem to be some Jedi gun guru, do what you want. I don't care, it's your ass if something happens and I'm sure if something does you will most likely blame the firearm that was recalled and not corrected.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

I went back and forth on mine. At first I had the same idea. If I am not being careless, worst case is I get a possible un-intended 2nd discharge. Probably scare the crap out me, but myself and those around me would still be safe.
    Then I said, you know, what if something unintended happens, that I can't even possible fathom and someone does get hurt ... Or I get something in the face, or something.

So I sent it back. Rumor has it comes back a tiny bit smoother and that will be welcome. Damn thing hurt my hands. I know it is a concealable defense gun not a full blown 1911. :rolleyes:

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    OK so my XDS is back.

-I got the 7 round mag. Its nice.
    -First rounds didn't even hit the paper. Likely was just me not used to the recoil. After about 10 rounds I got back on target.
    -I used to death grip the gun to have it not hurt my hand. I did better with a bit looser grip. And it didn't hurt as much.
    -I would say the upgrade reduced the "sharp" feel of the round. Recoil is still the same.
    -Trigger felt a bit goofy at first then got back to where it was when I had the gun before I sent it in.

Overall, not disappointed. I didn't use it that much so a few weeks at Springfield was OK with me. Plus I got a cool little case now.... :rolleyes:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Looks like the turnaround time is under a month now, and Springfield got their S- together, so probably will send mine soon in order to get it back before the weather gets hot, and I pocket carry more.

Kinetic

MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    I sent mine in on 8 Jan.

This is from their website-

" All XD-S™ pistols received between Dec. 14 - Dec. 27, 2013 will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Feb. 14, 2014."

Currently looks like a 2 month turnaround. We shall see.

Got mine back on 25 Feb. 2014.

Nice plastic case, complimentary 7 rd. magazine with 2 grip extensions, new owners manual.

Hadn't shot it before sending off, will put it through the paces shortly.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Got my xd back and it works fine. The problem is that while it was gone I had started shooting my G36 a lot more and now I think that the G36 s a lot more comfortable when shooing several rounds at a time. Any thoughts.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I am still disappointed in how Springfield handled the recall - but in the end I am very happy with the pistol. Just after getting it back, and having only shot it a few times the week before, I used for my 16 hour wear and carry course. Put about 200 rounds through it, and then scored 125/125 on the live fire test. Not bad for a pistol with a 3.3" barrel, and it never hiccupped. Since then I have put another 300 rounds through it. It eats everything I have fed it. Its scheduled for a set of Mepro Light Tru Dot night sights to be consistent with my Sigs, but otherwise I don't think it can be improved upon. Its a comfortable shooting .45 (w/no manual safeties) and I suspect the 9 would be the same for the ladies.

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Got my xd back and it works fine. The problem is that while it was gone I had started shooting my G36 a lot more and now I think that the G36 s a lot more comfortable when shooing several rounds at a time. Any thoughts.

I don't have a lot of .45 experience. But I do know that my XDS was not comfortable after 25-30 rounds. Damn thing just hurt. So doesn't surprise me. With regards to the Glock, I have an older Gen 2 17 that shoots like butter. So it wouldn't surprise me that your Glock feels a little better.

I want to take it out again sometime when its not completely freezing out. See if my experience is even better.

I am also going to try to vary the type of .45 ammo I put through it. If I can find something that is even a little bit more softer shooting, we may have a winner winner chicken dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom