• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I think some states, like FL, would keep issuing to out-of-state residents since their permitting is already handled through a centralized office.

HR 986 had some interesting wording for how to handle NY/NJ shenanigans:
    “(2) When a person asserts this section as a defense in a criminal proceeding, the prosecution shall bear the burden of proving, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the conduct of the person did not satisfy the conditions set forth in subsections (a) and (b).

“(3) When a person successfully asserts this section as a defense in a criminal proceeding, the court shall award the prevailing defendant a reasonable attorney’s fee.

“(d) (1) A person who is deprived of any right, privilege, or immunity secured by this section, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage of any State or any political subdivision thereof, may bring an action in any appropriate court against any other person, including a State or political subdivision thereof, who causes the person to be subject to the deprivation, for damages or other appropriate relief.

“(2) The court shall award a plaintiff prevailing in an action brought under paragraph (1) damages and such other relief as the court deems appropriate, including a reasonable attorney’s fee.

My interpretation: If you get cuffed, you get paid.
    VA Beach is still regularly paying (IIRC) $10k per arrested CCW'er, they pick up a few per year and VCDL brings the hammer down for them.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I bet Florida and a few other popular states would keep their programs just for the NJ/NY/MD population.

Some of the previously submitted reciprocity bills had very well laid out measures to stop NY/NJ shenanigans, like holding the arresting official and department liable for your lawyer and damages if you're so much as taken to the station.

Utah has a provision that if you state has reciprocity you can't get a Utah without having a local permit. Utah out of state permits will be useless 5 seconds after the Federal law goes into effect.

Thanks
    Robert

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    That's something Utah can fix pretty easily once they realize their income is going to dry up.

I think other states will also rise to prominence, VA's permit only requires a hunter's education, NRA firearms, or state/NRA-certified online course.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I wonder if the GFSZA will be fixed so as not to criminalize not having a permit in the state where schools are located.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I wonder if the GFSZA will be fixed so as not to criminalize not having a permit in the state where schools are located.

That would be a pretty easy fix, too. Change "issued by" to "recognized by" and you solve the problem for lawful CCers while still retaining the add-on charge for those carrying with bad intent. A minor, almost administrative, change to the law like that might even attract a few D votes in the Senate.

The optics of voting the whole GFZA away makes that a much tougher hill to climb. Better to do something that fixes the core problem for law-abiding CCers w/o giving the antis sound bites.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Utah has a provision that if you state has reciprocity you can't get a Utah without having a local permit. Utah out of state permits will be useless 5 seconds after the Federal law goes into effect.

Thanks
    Robert

It would be interesting to see if they actually hold to this or only do it for the state's that recognized UT before. Would UT throw someone out who already had a permit after their state began recognizing UT?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As you noted, I wonder if Federally "mandated" recognition would count if the individual state didn't do it, but only does it because of a Federal statute mandating it.

Interesting stuff

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    As you noted, I wonder if Federally "mandated" recognition would count if the individual state didn't do it, but only does it because of a Federal statute mandating it.

Interesting stuff
    This is exactly the question. Nothing in MD would actually state they accept Utah.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    More likely once National Reciprocity is passed. All the out of state permits go away. It would help people like me who live in Shall issue states but hurt people living in states like MD, NY, and NJ. Also there are lots of questions if area's will just ignore the law. Think FOPA it is supposed to protect people carry weapons across state lines but NJ and New York City pretty much ignore it. Depending on how the law is written I could easily see those places ignoring the CCW rights of people and arresting them and making them prove themselves not guilty same as they are doing now with people properly carrying under FOPA standards.

Thanks
    Robert

Why would states that issue non-res permits take the time to change their laws to stop issuing them?????

And considering, there are still a number of states that do not or seldom issue permits, so issuing non-res permits is still a positive revenue stream. In other words, IT MAKES MONEY.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Why would states that issue non-res permits take the time to change their laws to stop issuing them?????

And considering, there are still a number of states that do not or seldom issue permits, so issuing non-res permits is still a positive revenue stream. In other words, IT MAKES MONEY.

I agree. If it takes effort and really doesn't matter, they won't do anything. There's all sorts of weird laws still on the books that aren't enforced but are still there because it takes effort to repeal.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    More likely once National Reciprocity is passed. All the out of state permits go away. It would help people like me who live in Shall issue states but hurt people living in states like MD, NY, and NJ. Also there are lots of questions if area's will just ignore the law. Think FOPA it is supposed to protect people carry weapons across state lines but NJ and New York City pretty much ignore it. Depending on how the law is written I could easily see those places ignoring the CCW rights of people and arresting them and making them prove themselves not guilty same as they are doing now with people properly carrying under FOPA standards.

Thanks
    Robert

I sincerely doubt that. Nonresident permits are a quick and easy cash crop for a number of states. They won't give up the revenue stream without a fight.

Personally, I'd love to see Frosh try to sue several states and the Feds for allowing concealed carry (or carry, for that matter) in his little fiefdom. And lose. :D

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Many states have a policy of honoring states that honor theirs, including NR permits.

By not changing their policy, it would guarantee reciprocity for those of us in may issue states if the National reciprocity legislation requires a home state permit. So you could continue to carry in those states as well.

Getting rid of NR permits deprives a state of a revenue stream, no matter how small it might be. What is to be gained by doing such a thing?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'd love to see Frosh try to sue several states and the Feds for allowing concealed carry (or carry, for that matter) in his little fiefdom. And lose.:D

Frosh will have it in court so long that his grandson will probably be Attorney General before we can carry in MD.

I'll bet a ham sandwich and chips that we can't carry in MD for at least 4 years after any nation wide reciprocity is signed by Trump or Pence.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree. If it takes effort and really doesn't matter, they won't do anything. There's all sorts of weird laws still on the books that aren't enforced but are still there because it takes effort to repeal.

Yeap, like the law that any motorized vehicle in a town to be proceeded by a man on foot with a red lantern and ringing a bell. :D

00Dan

Mar 9, 2016
    I wonder if we can get a bill that will address certain ban aspects such as magazine capacity or hollow points in NJ. None of the bills I have seen so far address these issues.

00Dan

Mar 9, 2016
    Nope. The 10A would prohibit it.

IANAL or Brooklyn

Since when has Congress or the courts ever paid attention to the 10A? /s

Realistically though, it just reinforces the knowledge that the most effective way to achieve our goals is with a court ruling rather than legislation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom