• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Not that I wouldn't choose King George as well, but any commute based on ideal conditions should factor in holidays, weekends and summer traffic. Rt. 301 and the Nice Bridge are the alternate for people heading south who don't want to use I95 or are going to Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, etc.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I'm seeing some places in Indian Head and Aquasco. How are those areas? They look semi-rural which is fine by me.

The Indian Head zip code is pretty large and includes areas ranging from ghetto over nice middle class homes to large country lots. Give me the road and I can tell you how many overdoses we have run there in the last year ;-)

Aquasco is in the rural part of PG county. Probably nice people, the problem is that you have no police protection, no public services and if you have to deal with the county administration you are at the mercy of the corrupt criminals that run the place.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Let me just throw in west of LaPlata. Port Tobacco area, Welcome, and where I live Nanjemoy. Beautiful country side, prices for rent are fairly reasonable and once you get off of 301 very little traffic. Puts you within 20 minutes or so from Myrtle Grove for shooting and if you have kids and can get in to the MT. Hope/Nanjemoy school area you will be good to go for the schooling. My granddaughter goes there and I'm very impressed what they have done with that school since my son first went 30 years or so ago.
    . As others have stated stay away from anything north of White Plains. Good luck on your search and if I can be any help give me a holler!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you drive around the area between Waldorf and Indian Head, you'll see a lot of house with bars on the windows.

Just saying.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'm in "North" Waldorf. I've been in this house for 31 years, and the area is going downhill, fast.
    (Some have said that, since I moved in!) :D

Traffic is a HUGE female dog, coming from DC to Chuck County, every day.
    The back-up from Brandywine Road/Old Branch Ave. has moved south to the Brandywine Crossing Shopping Center.
    (That light has screwed traffic, without lube!)

As others have said, "Waldawf" has become "Prince George's County, South".
    Which is NOT good.

IF you're going to be at the new power plant off of Billingsley Road, and you want to stay 'close' to the plant, Hughesville, La Plata, Charlotte Hall, Mechanicsville areas will keep you away from "Waldawf" unless you must go to Sears, etc.

St. Mary's County is pretty lax on shooting on your own property, as long as you keep the projectiles on YOUR property.

A good friend has a little over 5 acres, and he shoots on his land, all the time.

One neighbor complained, and the Sheriff 'ran the call'.
    He showed up at my friend's house, saw his "mini-range" and joined in, on the fun!

As for the question about needing a sponsor to join St. Charles Sportsman's Club, yes, typically you'll need a sponsor.

I'm a Life Member at SCSC, and you'll find out that we're a really good organization, and a great bunch of people. (Well, the jury is still out, on me.) Ha! :rolleyes:

We also own a bunch of land (135+ acres if memory serves me) in Welcome, MD (heading West, toward Indian Head area on Rte. 6/Port Tobacco Road) that we can hunt.

Whitetail Deer. Turkey. Rabbits. Squirrels.
    A couple of ponds w/ some decent fishing, too!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    No idea. However, I have to concur with the general recommendations. Waldorf has become an extension of PG County, I'd avoid it. La Plata would not be bad. Virginia...would be tempting. Bad news is that the bridge is a massive choke point...and you'll pay $6/day to cross it. Good news is that you're living in a free state.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What is this new power plant that keeps being referenced?

Chuck Co and southern PG have three things:
    - a big NG pipeline
    - a national grid electric transmission line
    - plenty of water

So various investors have proposed big NG fired plants that sell power into the open market. One of them is now online it is located next to the garbage dump on Billingsley road. I believe it's about 970MW installed. There is going to be another one in PG near Brandywine with another GW installled.

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    OP, if interested in SCSC stop by on a Saturday morning. Range normally open 1000-1300. Come on in and introduce yourself. The guys there will show you around. I'll be working this Saturday. Thanks.

Last edited:

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    The Indian Head zip code is pretty large and includes areas ranging from ghetto over nice middle class homes to large country lots. Give me the road and I can tell you how many overdoses we have run there in the last year ;-)

Aquasco is in the rural part of PG county. Probably nice people, the problem is that you have no police protection, no public services and if you have to deal with the county administration you are at the mercy of the corrupt criminals that run the place.

Im in the Brandywine area (nearer Clinton than Aquasco, the Brandywine area is huge) I drive through the Baden/Aquasco area all the time, rural and lots of police live in the area it seems. (exaggerating, but it seems as if every other house has a PG County Police or Sheriff car parked in the driveway lol) Aquasco hasnt been hit by the near flood of people moving out of Montgomery County/DC yet, unlike the (west) Brandywine area which has exploded in population and traffic. Not really near to any major hospitals and most stores are 20ish minutes away, though nice and rural/quiet. Fire Department coverage is pretty good for a rural area with Baden and Hughesville and Brandywine FD all pretty close.

If I were forced to move into this area again, I would definitely look down in the Mechanicsville or Charlotte Hall or Port Tobacco or La Plata area, or even down near Lexington Park or Leonardtown though the drive down there is very boring. (might have to do with me going down to that area weekly for years now)

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    I lived in Fairway Village for 10 years. It was my first home in Charles County. We moved to Indian Head/Nanjemoy for more land. Shoot me message if you have a question.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Im in the Brandywine area (nearer Clinton than Aquasco, the Brandywine area is huge) I drive through the Baden/Aquasco area all the time, rural and lots of police live in the area it seems. (exaggerating, but it seems as if every other house has a PG County Police or Sheriff car parked in the driveway lol) Aquasco hasnt been hit by the near flood of people moving out of Montgomery County/DC yet, unlike the (west) Brandywine area which has exploded in population and traffic. Not really near to any major hospitals and most stores are 20ish minutes away, though nice and rural/quiet. Fire Department coverage is pretty good for a rural area with Baden and Hughesville and Brandywine FD all pretty close.

If I were forced to move into this area again, I would definitely look down in the Mechanicsville or Charlotte Hall or Port Tobacco or La Plata area, or even down near Lexington Park or Leonardtown though the drive down there is very boring. (might have to do with me going down to that area weekly for years now)

They park them because pg will not let the officers cross county line with their patrol car. they park the patrol car and drive pers. vehic. home

VulgarDisplay

Feb 25, 2019
    St. Marys
    Lots if good information from all of you. I greatly appreciate it. It gives me a lot to think about.

As soon as I get down there I'm going to look more in depth at some of the suggestions.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    That's the one. CPV St Charles

Very neat. What is it that you will be doing there?

I don't have anything to add, as I just moved to Maryland five weeks ago from Washington. I lived over the Nice bridge in Dahlgren for eight years, but that was a long time ago and a lot seems to have changed since then. Getting stuck on the wrong side of bridge seems to still be a normal thing though.

Chuck Co and southern PG have three things:
    - a big NG pipeline
    - a national grid electric transmission line
    - plenty of water

So various investors have proposed big NG fired plants that sell power into the open market. One of them is now online it is located next to the garbage dump on Billingsley road. I believe it's about 970MW installed. There is going to be another one in PG near Brandywine with another GW installled.

Thank you, traveller, for the great information.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Very neat. What is it that you will be doing there?

I don't have anything to add, as I just moved to Maryland five weeks ago from Washington. I lived over the Nice bridge in Dahlgren for eight years, but that was a long time ago and a lot seems to have changed since then. Getting stuck on the wrong side of bridge seems to still be a normal thing though.

The good news is: the bridge is getting replaced
    The bad news is: the bridge is getting replaced.

The construction itself shouldn't interrupt traffic on the old bridge. The new one is being built a hundred yards north of the existing span. The problem is once the bridge is finished, the two-lane bottleneck on 301 will be gone and it will become more attractive as a bypass to 95. Already, folks from Arlington and Alex who drive to their weekend places on the norther neck go through Charles county and the nice bridge rather than spending 2hrs to go from Springfield to Dumfries. Trucking through Waldorf/La Plata and the NoVA to Richmond traffic will go through the roof. There are no plans whatsoever by MDOT and the feds to handle all that additional traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom