• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I typically get a salt block or 2 from Tractor Supply and put out for the deer in the spring. I usually just get the plain white salt block. Would the Trace Mineral, Sulfur Salt, Cobalt Iodized Salt or Selenium 90 Trace Mineral Block be better for them, or just the plain white blocks?

Hunterjjd

Jun 29, 2011
    Buy the bag trace mineral and dump where you put the block, they can get what they need and easier

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    I started with one of each. The mineral blocks always went first by large margin. I just get the mineral blocks now.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I run two sites with the trace mineral 50# blocks year round. I generally add some small ones with selenium in the spring to encourage antler growth. I did see that TSC now carries 50# blocks with selenium, but they have been sold out whenever I have gone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I put out a couple bags of Trophy Rock Four65 (gravel sized trophy rock) a couple years in a row. Deer didn't seem to care for it too much. My brother uses the big Trophy Rocks in Wisconsin and the deer will eat the all the dirt where the rock was and make a gigantic hole in the ground. I bet they eat over 5 gallons of dirt a year after the rocks are gone. I think he puts 2-3 out per year.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    This is last summer, but you can see the hole in the ground from them digging up where the blocks are.

If you read the minerals and the concentrations on most "deer" blocks or supplements, they are the same as the plain trace mineral blocks with selenium. You just pay a premium because it says "deer"
    9ae8ac798969b1077a07800472e1e196.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is last summer, but you can see the hole in the ground from them digging up where the blocks are.

If you read the minerals and the concentrations on most "deer" blocks or supplements, they are the same as the plain trace mineral blocks with selenium. You just pay a premium because it says "deer"
    9ae8ac798969b1077a07800472e1e196.jpg

Yup. I tried all the "deer" minerals, both rocks and powders. Didn't hold a candle to these blocks and they only cost $7-$8.

Attachments

• 10pt.jpg
      10pt.jpg
      129.3 KB · Views: 185
    • 10pt2.jpg
      10pt2.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 185

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members