• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I pretty figured at worst, I wouldn't lose money buying from the CMP.

#1- Shop smart and you’ll never lose money on any firearm you ever sell.

#2- I made quite a bit on everything CMP I acquired and sold, just wish I hadn’t sold them later.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    In short, I would buy from CMP because they stand behind their rifles (within reason) and it's the best price you're likely to find. Some people refer to it as buying a pig in poke.

I've purchased 2 from CMP and had to send both back for issues. The first one had a bad trigger group and would periodically fire multiple rounds. They paid the freight both ways and simply had me send back the trigger group and sent me a replacement. (Worked properly since) The second one sat around for more than a year until I started using it for Hi-Power matches. The rear sight was a mess and must have had some stripped part(s), as I was inconsistent shooting and finally noticed the rear sight wasn't adjusting properly. That one cost me $50 shipping it back, as per CMP it was beyond a year since purchase. That was the best $50 buck I ever spent on a Garand, as they replaced the rear sight and perhaps since I mentioned using it for Hi-Power? swapped a few more parts that worked fine before I shipped it back. I had it back in like 2-3 days with the shipping they paid for.

I finally weakened and decided to take a shot at a Garand. I noticed that CMP expressly indicated that the rifles were sold as-is, with no guarantees. This seems to conflict with your info above.

Is this a new policy, or is the CMP flexible about problematic firearms? (I've never dealt with CMP before).

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I finally weakened and decided to take a shot at a Garand. I noticed that CMP expressly indicated that the rifles were sold as-is, with no guarantees. This seems to conflict with your info above.

Is this a new policy, or is the CMP flexible about problematic firearms? (I've never dealt with CMP before).

All firearms are sold as is by the retailer, this is common practice. The CMP didn’t make these- therefore no warranty.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

FWIW, the CMP will (generally speaking) make good on any major issues. The heel on my stock, for example, is heavily chipped but functional. They kept the stock with the gun because it was matched to the receiver and other parts. Functionally it's fine. Cosmetically, ehh. That, they're not going to fuss over. But your Garand functioning properly? Yeah, they're going to make sure that happens and will generally fix any issues it has out of the box so to speak.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland

I'm not a spokesman for CMP, nor an expert on their "written policy", just providing my personal experience dealing with their CS, your mileage may vary....

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Where is the best place to find cleaning kits and slings? I see eBay has some stuff but mostly junk. Is there anyone on here that has those kinds of things, or maybe gun shows?

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Where is the best place to find cleaning kits and slings? I see eBay has some stuff but mostly junk. Is there anyone on here that has those kinds of things, or maybe gun shows?

If you're looking for quality cleaning equipment and slings
    Check out boretech, deweys for cleaning kits and Creedmoor for slings

If you're looking for GI Issue/replica stuff, ebay is fine and others may be able to help you out

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    As an FYI, I mailed in my latest CMP order for a Garand 9/25 (a Winchester to round out my collection). They processed the paperwork late last week, and based on the forum notes it will probably be processed by sales and ship in a week or 2. Just to level set your timeline right now if you decide to take the plunge.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Unbelievable how these things shoot. I finally got some Garand ammo and did some shooting today, I can’t believe how accurate they are, not much recoil at all. Happy with my CMP garands.

Last edited:

Zoltan

Sep 8, 2015
    I know my HQL satisfies the marksmanship training requirement, but can someone recommend a group to satisfy the shooting organization requirement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom