• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    What do the guys who own this think about it, would you recommend this? Or is there another small frame wheel gun you would go with. I like the look and feel of them, but have never shot one.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    Have one in 38spl. Light, easy to shoot. I put the fiber optic sight on it. Handles +p loads without being uncomfortable to shoot.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Wife loves her Ruger LCR .38 spcl - put a lasermax on (blends in perfectly-weights next to nothing), bought some speed loaders.

Have a Ruger LCR .22lr version in the works for lower cost training and for a break in shooting a .38 snub nose at the range.

We have several handguns and one lever action rifle that shoots .38 special.

$.30 cent a round for .38 special is the best I've been able to acquire recently and that was buying 1,000 at a time. Did come in a free metal ammo can.

Highly recommend Ruger LCR in any caliber.

RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    tried one just today (with .38spl)...loved the feel and balance. No kick to speak of with the 38.

IMHO, it's always nice to be able to shoot 2 different calibers by changing...um...nothing! One day, I would love to own one.

Of course, look at my name, I'm a RF...

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I have carried a 5 shot Chief Special since the early 70s. (S&W #60) It was my official off-duty. Small enough to fit in pocket or boot. Same as a Mod #36 except the 60 was stainless. The original was 38 spl, but now it is 357 mag. High quality, never had a problem.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Wife owns a LCR .38+P. Amazingly little recoil w/+P rounds and is accurate at 10 yards.
    Highly recommend for home protection or a carry piece.
    Are we talking about the same gun? Or do I have a dud? Mine kicks like a mule and the accuracy sucks. Maybe I should send mine back.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Are we talking about the same gun? Or do I have a dud? Mine kicks like a mule and the accuracy sucks. Maybe I should send mine back.

Same thought here. Sounds like a different gun. The LCR .38 will pound your shooting hand into sawdust if you start pumping cylinder after cylinder of high-octane .38Sp +P rounds downrange, especially FBI load:

hqdefault.jpg

FBI load has pounding recoil even in my 30oz S&W Model 66.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    Not sure I would call this an all day range gun with +p. But with that said I have sent a box of 50 of the Underwood +p 125gr JHP at 1200 fps down range and not experienced hand pounding. You do feel it. Its a small frame light weight conceal gun. The double action trigger is smooth but takes some getting used to. If you want to target shoot with it the black ramp is hard to use for indoor shooting. I replaced it with a fiber optic and my groups got much better. However for its intended purpose of a self defense handgun it does very well at close distances without using sights to aim.

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    I have one (for sale in the forums). Personally I did not like it. Would be great for a concealed gun (it's real purpose), but I didn't find it enjoyable to shoot (others may). Since MD won't let me carry (no G&S reason) I don't have a need for a firearm that has only one use and is not fun on the range.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    wife has one and likes it. I agree +P beats your hand. it's not a target pistol but it's plenty accurate for it
    s intended purpose. I have a hard time getting used to the trigger break but it works fine. I would not hesitate to get another one. add a couple speedloaders and you're good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom