• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Thanks all, my dad picked up a .22 version I'm gonna try that out before I pick one up, but I would probably go with the .38

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks all, my dad picked up a .22 version I'm gonna try that out before I pick one up, but I would probably go with the .38

I find the LCR .38 fine with target loads - just shot one cylinder +Ps to see what it is like (hold on).

Inside home type distance - I practice 7 yards (max home distance) - with lasermax and .38 target loads it is accurate enough for two to the chest and one in the head.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I bought the 357 version with Hogue grips as one of my very last Non-HQL purchases. I haven't had a chance to get to the range just yet. I was wondering if the folks in this thread with the noticeable recoil issues had the Hogue grip or tried changing the grip to see if that made a difference in the recoil?

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Ive had the .38+P for a couple yrs now. Put the fiber optic front sight and a crimson trace laser on it. The CT laser grip increases felt recoil to me. Shooting 148gr WCs are a little easier on the hand but +Ps are a little rough. I dont like the trigger guard making the grip so short, poor design IMO. Its great for intended purpose. Light weight, narrow and points pretty natural for me. You only need to shoot +Ps to determine point of impact and load for the bad guy. Shoot WCs for practice. YMMV

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I find the LCR .38 fine with target loads - just shot one cylinder +Ps to see what it is like (hold on).

Inside home type distance - I practice 7 yards (max home distance) - with lasermax and .38 target loads it is accurate enough for two to the chest and one in the head.

Is this how you have been trained to shoot?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    the .357 model is a dream. I usually only shoot .38s out of it, and when carrying out of state with my Utah CCW use Federal Hi-Shok magnums.

I'm not sure why, but it's not a nightmare to shoot like other small wheelguns and autos.

I had an airweight that was a freaking monster to shoot, had to get rid of it. The LCR is smaller and more comfy.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Is this how you have been trained to shoot?

Jeff Cooper pioneered this idea for use primarily with the 1911, but it works well with any firearm. If you practice the quick re-acquire to the head enough, it helps with your fundamentals too- not sure why.

All I know is that when I first started trying to shoot with my bad hand it felt COMPLETELY WRONG. But after doing the 2-1 drill a few times left handed, it just started to feel more natural.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Jeff Cooper pioneered this idea for use primarily with the 1911, but it works well with any firearm. If you practice the quick re-acquire to the head enough, it helps with your fundamentals too- not sure why.

All I know is that when I first started trying to shoot with my bad hand it felt COMPLETELY WRONG. But after doing the 2-1 drill a few times left handed, it just started to feel more natural.

I understand. I was just trying to stir the pot because some here would say that if you have not been trained and conditioned to take a head shot that it lessens your chance of a successful defense in court. :)

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have shot a friends with full power .357 Mag loads and it shot well. I had planned to buy one but picked a S&W 442 over the LCR. I didn't like the polymer, or the looks of the LCR. It felt cheap compared to the S&W. The trigger on the S&W feels better to me as well.

Besides, I know how to work on S&Ws and repair most things that can go wrong. Parts will be easier to come by as well, should they be needed.

I would consider a S&W J-frame alongside the LCR, and see what you like better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Same thought here. Sounds like a different gun. The LCR .38 will pound your shooting hand into sawdust if you start pumping cylinder after cylinder of high-octane .38Sp +P rounds downrange, especially FBI load:

View attachment 96559

FBI load has pounding recoil even in my 30oz S&W Model 66.

Haha I got a box of that at the NRA range. It kicks more than my buddy's 4" S&W 500, not even joking.

I didn't know that was the FBI load, now I'm glad I have it! I did compare .357 to .38 +P ballistics, and found the .38 performs pretty much the same so I'm happy with my purchase.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I have the .38 with night sights. Carry it almost every day.

I'm generally a S&W guy but the 442/642 and 638 simply aren't as good. Houge Tamer grips are fantastic and I was pretty accurate with it straight out of the box.

For the type of gun it is, I can't say enough good things.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    For the record, I carry either Speer Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Defense. No +P stuff. No issues with felt recoil or follow-up. My only complaint is that it only holds 5...but...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have both back in stock now, of course since the HQL is now in effect....

Last edited:

tdant

Jul 31, 2012
    Im seriously considering buying one because the trigger on the gun feels so smooth. It would be my first revolver. However, I would much rather lose my revolver virginity to a .454 Casull.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Mine shoots well -its a .38 and its pretty snappy with +p in it. To be expected as it is so light. Not the sort of gun to spend a day at the range but it works for its purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom