• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Other than the 30 round mags, which have some issues. What do you guys think of this? The reviews look pretty good, what do you all who own one think about it?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Seen them go both ways.

One person loves theirs. Other person couldn't get rid of theirs fast enough (bolt would self-destruct every now and then).

I'd personally get a 10/22 or something else. But that's me.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I personally got a 597 because I didnt want the same old thing everybody else has. I have 4 597's. One of them is a 16 inch AAC model. Awesome little gun.

Our gun club has .22 fun shoots. Our 597 always outshoot the 10/22's.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have two of them. One has about 70K rounds through it, the other has about 30K rounds through it. They are very accurate and were my go to rifle when I could get ammo. The ones I have like Federal Champion best.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Judging stock out of the box rifles , 597 has better stock design, better iron sights, better accuracy, and decent trigger. 10/22s have more accesories and aftermarket parts.

The haters talk about how much better their 10/22s are ... after spending a cpl times the original price replacing bbl, stock and triggers.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I personally got a 597 because I didnt want the same old thing everybody else has. I have 4 597's. One of them is a 16 inch AAC model. Awesome little gun.

Our gun club has .22 fun shoots. Our 597 always outshoot the 10/22's.

Yeah that's kind of where I am at, I don't necessarily want somthing that everyone has, the 597 feels like a dream.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Judging stock out of the box rifles , 597 has better stock design, better iron sights, better accuracy, and decent trigger. 10/22s have more accesories and aftermarket parts.

The haters talk about how much better their 10/22s are ... after spending a cpl times the original price replacing bbl, stock and triggers.

I like the look of the 597 as it is so I'm not gonna be in the market for aftermarket parts, so I agree with you. For the price point I don't think I can go wrong here

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The major complaint that pops up on the 597 are the magazines. My fix was a little silicone spray on the inside of the magazine around the follower and problem solved. I can load up 8 rounds all the time with no trouble (I have the 22 Magnum version of the 597).

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    Here is mine that I bought today.

Attachments

• 2013-10-04 22.01.49.jpg
      2013-10-04 22.01.49.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 395
    • 2013-10-04 22.02.46.jpg
      2013-10-04 22.02.46.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 394

britishjohnhall

My 597 was my first rifle. I choose it over the 10/22 mainly because of price point. I have been very happy with it. I've put well over 2k rounds through it with no mechanical problems. The 30round magazines are not the highest quality, but I tweaked mine with a dremmel and some sandpaper and they work a lot better. Rounds with a heavy wax coating don't feed as well through them. Mine came with a scope that wasn't very good, so I upgraded it. I also installed the arc angel stock package on a whim.

Now its a really mean lookin squirrel gun :D

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    My 597 was my first rifle. I choose it over the 10/22 mainly because of price point. I have been very happy with it. I've put well over 2k rounds through it with no mechanical problems. The 30round magazines are not the highest quality, but I tweaked mine with a dremmel and some sandpaper and they work a lot better. Rounds with a heavy wax coating don't feed as well through them. Mine came with a scope that wasn't very good, so I upgraded it. I also installed the arc angel stock package on a whim.

Now its a really mean lookin squirrel gun :D

Pic's would be nice of their 597. Was also thinking of getting one, was looking at the .17 HMR. Just to be different of course

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Both my sons wanted 30rd. mags. we saw up at Dicks in Hanover. I said no. They would have juat shot up our ammo faster.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    i feel like this thread could go forever lol. i like the look of the 10/22 better but have not shot either rifle so i cant comment on performance. why the ruger is price about 100 bucks more does escape me though.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have a 597 I shoot precision events with. I have about $1000 in it currently. Started out as a WM $167 special. If you look at the target pictures above look at the smaller upper targets. Mine off a rest will just blot out the central black with none of the holes being more than halfway into the orange at most. That is with a BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 scope. Many times all 5 are totally in the black. Just depends on the range. Same ammo CCI-SV, too.
    Of course I learned about some of the initial issues to look for on 597s from the RFC website.
    As for the long mags I preferred the Promag 22 rd ones to the factory/Eagle 30s. They work the hold open lever correctly more than the 30s. I used to run the 597 in my early Ruger Rimfire days but switched to an S&W 15-22 later due to more reliability. The 597 was way too accurate for RR events where you don't need that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom