• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Get that 597, you won't regret it. Also, after loading/unloading my 30 rounders a couple of times, I have had no problems with mine.

Here is a 41 minute review on the 597 by NutNFancy, they do fantastic reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCWmXqzloIM

The gun is built extremely well and is extremely accurate. Not as many accessories as the 10/22, but many would argue a better gun in many ways.

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    I have a 597 and all it does is stovepipes. When it works right its great.

I tried taking tension off the rails, and it still cycles like crap.

My cousin suggested trying better quality ammo to help the cycle. I havent tried it yet but I wouldnt mind taking it out soon...

coule also be the magazine

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    I get a couple stove pipes when it starts to get dirty it seems. Maybe the extractor is wearing out. Otherwise its been a great cheap rifle.

CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    I've had mine for over 10 years. Keep it clean and it will treat you right. The metal mags are also a huge improvement over the old style plastics. I never had many problems with the plastic mags when they were clean.

fav453

May 29, 2013
    Essex
    I have a 597 and love it. I didn't have a scope and love the challenge of shooting open sites. I am soon going to put a scope on it and actually put a weaver rail on it but haven't got a scope yet.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    i feel like this thread could go forever lol. i like the look of the 10/22 better but have not shot either rifle so i cant comment on performance. why the ruger is price about 100 bucks more does escape me though.

I agree, I have read so much back and forth regarding this and the 10/22, I guess my solution would be to buy one, then save and buy the other.

On the flip side I am opposite of you, I like the look of the 597 better, I guess it's good to have choices. But in the big scheme look does not matter it's how it shoots that important.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I doubt there are many 10/22's that shoot as well as my personal 597. I have won 3 straight rimfire metallic silhouette rifle titles at my club. Plus in the first attempt I made Distinguished Expert in NRA Marksmanship Rimfire Benchrest, shooting 3 straight perfect 200 scores in the final 3 targets out of the 10 targets required to qualify. Next is the Rimfire Standing qualification.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    I doubt there are many 10/22's that shoot as well as my personal 597. I have won 3 straight rimfire metallic silhouette rifle titles at my club. Plus in the first attempt I made Distinguished Expert in NRA Marksmanship Rimfire Benchrest, shooting 3 straight perfect 200 scores in the final 3 targets out of the 10 targets required to qualify. Next is the Rimfire Standing qualification.

Excellent Photoracer.

Tell us about the ammo you used and do you have a link to the event?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When I was shooting the 597 in Ruger Rimfire (2010) I shot CCI-MiniMags most of the time, using Fed 550 bulk for practice ammo. Did not like Remington 22 ammo.
    Since 2011 I souped up the 597 with a lot of aftermarket parts. Now I shoot exclusively CCI-Standard Velocity for accuracy reasons. Thankfully Dick's carries that and gets it in enough for me to use it for that and bullseye pistol shooting also. All the rest of my .22 ammo goes to speed/action shooting events with my S&W 15-22s. See Monocacy Pistol Club's calendar for events.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I have a 597 I shoot precision events with. I have about $1000 in it currently. Started out as a WM $167 special. If you look at the target pictures above look at the smaller upper targets. Mine off a rest will just blot out the central black with none of the holes being more than halfway into the orange at most. That is with a BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 scope. Many times all 5 are totally in the black. Just depends on the range. Same ammo CCI-SV, too.
    Of course I learned about some of the initial issues to look for on 597s from the RFC website.
    As for the long mags I preferred the Promag 22 rd ones to the factory/Eagle 30s. They work the hold open lever correctly more than the 30s. I used to run the 597 in my early Ruger Rimfire days but switched to an S&W 15-22 later due to more reliability. The 597 was way too accurate for RR events where you don't need that.

Do you have the butler creek flip caps for your BSA Sweet .22? If you do can you let me know what size you purchased?

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    My AAC 16.5.

Very accurate rifle. Loves CCI-SV but not Fed Auto Match which our other 20" barreled 597's love.

Target on the left is at 25 yds. and 50 on the right. The mess in the middle is were my kids were splitting playing cards. Some of it is with fed auto and the better groups are with cci-sv. I was rushing when I did this. I will take my time next time.

Attachments

• 2013-10-16_12-01-45_913.jpg
      2013-10-16_12-01-45_913.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 136

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads