• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Does anyone have the DD MFR? I have a .300 blackout build that I am in the process of completing, and the Wife is looking for a Christmas gift for me.

I was also looking at the BCM key mod rail system, but I don't think that has been released yet.

For all you guys that have a rifle length hand guard, what would you recommend? So many Choices...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I run mostly YHM rails, diamond and lightweight series at the moment. Not too expensive or heavy, but solid.

Next build I'm deciding between Diamondhead VRS-T and a few other options.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    In my opinion, the weight of the BCM rail makes every other rail look dated. The BCM rail is being released by the end of the year and you could always ask her to get you a BCM gift card.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    I built my .300 with a YHM rail..its very lightweight but extremely solid as well..Its the brownone...aka brownout

Attachments

• Engage and HDP.jpg
      Engage and HDP.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 177

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Yhm are nice, and they are definatley on my list...but this makes me want to ask the question, what is the difference between a $285 DD rail and $125 YHM rail. Is this something a recreational shooter will notice?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Yhm are nice, and they are definatley on my list...but this makes me want to ask the question, what is the difference between a $285 DD rail and $125 YHM rail. Is this something a recreational shooter will notice?

Machine time, how it locks up and the finish.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Machine time, how it locks up and the finish.

After running a few DD rails in the past, IMO, they aren't worth what they ask - $$ wise.

Don't get me wrong, they're nice rails, and well-made. But IMO, they're over-priced and over-hyped.

For the casual shooter, who isn't obsessing over every possible ounce saved on their rifle. YHM is a solid choice. Plus you can fit a suppressor inside their rails, which is the main reason I've been using them - gotta plan for the future. ;)

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Their rails are worth about $100-150. They ask $350+ because they are insane. Get a KAC or Yankee Hill. Or Troy.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    ***Disclaimer*** (I do not own a DD rail and the only thing I use made by DD is a rear BUIS)

Just wanted to get that out of the way to show that I'm not trying to justify a purchase nor do I have loyalty towards DD.

That being said. If you know even the slightest bit of machining aluminum then it's relatively easy to understand why a DD rail is more expensive than a YHM. The DD rails have a noticeable amount more of machine work which means. While YHM is pumping out a rail every 45 minutes but DD takes 3 hours to make one, they need to charge more per unit because they can't produce the quantity YHM is capable of producing.

Other factors are involved as well.

1. How much raw materials are needed to produce one rail over another.

2. How does the rail lock up to the barrel nut? Does it luck up to the stock not or did the company need to put money into the research, testing and development of their proprietary barrel nut and lock up hardware.

3. Last but not least. The finishing of the rail. What level of anodizing was used. If it's colored, was it Alodined prior to being coated?

All rails are not created equal

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom