Pre-purchase hunting rifle research--suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • comikemike

Dec 18, 2013
    Greetings--sometime in the next year or so I'm going to buy a new hunting rifle, and I'd like to tap into the collective wisdom of MDS for suggestions...

The rifle will serve as my go-to piece for coyote to elk -sized game out West, and I'll make my selection utilizing the following criteria:

$1,500 max price (not including glass)
    Chambered for .300 WSM (or something thereabout)
    The more out of the box accurate the better--sub MOA is required
    All weather stock and finish
    Light-ish (not necessarily a featherweight, but no 13 lb sniper guns)

I'm currently spending a lot of time looking at the Sako A7 and 85s, and also at the Weatherby sub-MOA lines. I'm also considering starting with a Remington 700 as a base and sending it off for tuning to meet the specs.

So, with all of that being said, what do you think? Does anyone out there have experience with the rifles I mentioned above, and should I be looking at something else?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Kimber montana.

Although I would STRONGLY urge you to get something like 7-08 instead. If you absolutely need a magnum for the rare bullet-resistant elk subspecies, go with 7 whizzum instead. Better ballistics of the 284 projectiles yield more retained energy downrange with less drop and drift. 7-08 will burn a lot less powder and be a lot less shitty to your shoulder (and possibly face) though.

If you go 700, a winny featherweight or remington mountain rifle contour (if you can't find a smith to dupe either of these, PM me and i'll give you a guy's info....i just don't like posting publicly because his lead time is still extremely reasonable and his prices are ridiculously low. he barreled my 6-pound 7-08), 3.5-10x40 VX-3 in talleys, and a remington ti stock (sold aftermarket as the B&C Mountain Rifle stock). should be sub 7 pounds.

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Remington 700 Sendero II, 7mm Remington Magnum. B&C stock, fluted heavy barrel. Get the trigger lightened to 3.5 lbs and get some good glass. As much as I love the 7mm-08 (I have one) you may decide to go for moose at some point.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Remington 700 Sendero II, 7mm Remington Magnum. B&C stock, fluted heavy barrel. Get the trigger lightened to 3.5 lbs and get some good glass. As much as I love the 7mm-08 (I have one) you may decide to go for moose at some point.

1300 ft-lbs of energy at 600 yards.

Are moose bulletproof?

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I like AF's taste and suggestions for a rifle that you will likely carry a lot and shoot a little. Stick with non-mags so when you DO shoot, it's not so obnoxious!

Duck

Apr 11, 2012
    Baltimore
    I would go with a 270 win. 280 rem. 3006 or if the recoil does not bother you 300 win. or 300 wea. All of those will kill most of our big game if not all. Bolt Acton on. REM. Win. Browning or Weatherby. If you looking for weight try a Frobes at Hendershotts in Hagerstown. The recoil on the Weatherby is not that bad and you will never notice it on that elk!

Hondo

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    My dad took down an elk in Northern Arizona with my Savage 30-06. It ain't pretty or fancy, but it's reliable and it gets the job done. It's a great rifle for the money.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    My dad took down an elk in Northern Arizona with my Savage 30-06. It ain't pretty or fancy, but it's reliable and it gets the job done. It's a great rifle for the money.

It's 2014.

Nobody wants reliable simplicity anymore.

Besides, everyone knows that pretty and fancy makes a rifle more accurate.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    A 7mm-08 with 162 AMAX will have more energy at 600 yards than a 30-06 with 165's has at 400 yards.

Just sayin'.

7-08 has been one of my favorites since I began shooting. Any good marksman can be confident in it's ability. Bad marksman who overestimate their shooting ability falsely rely on power to overcome their own deficiencies and wound a lot of animals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom