• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Does anyone recommend a bow for a woman, she weighs about 125 and is athletic, and wants to get it into shooting bows. We are looking at something new, but it will be her first bow, so obviously nothing like a carbon spyder. I am partial to hoyt and for her specifically the ignite. Since she is getting into I would like to only make recommendations to rather the tell her what what to choose. She chooses all her guns, so I want her to choose her bow. What do you guys recommend, she will be hunting with it as well

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Take her to a bow pro shop and let her shoot a couple different brand to see what feels good in her hands. They can figure out her draw length/pound that feel comfortable to her. Then set up a couple bows to that.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I think the suggestion to go to a store and try out a few is spot on. I've got a Martin bow that I picked up on Craigslist a couple years ago. It was one-year-old and like new when I got it. A young guy got it for Christmas and it didn't fit him properly, so he sold it to me an d bought a new one. I point that out to both suggest checking out Craigslist and to caution against buying a bow for someone without them trying it out first. Basspro should be helpful if you go on a week night, or believe it or not the Dick's in Falls Church/Arlington, VA has a guy who really knows his stuff. Just call ahead to make sure he is working on a particular day.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Another thing, watch buying used bow from friends or Craigslist. You don't know how that bow was treated be for you and if it was ever dry fired. If you do get a used one and there are cracks in it, it can be fix at a bow shop but for alot more of these $$$. Personally I only like to only buy new bows.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Thanks guys....yesthe plan is to go to a place like autumn sky because I want her to be set up right. Craigslist isn't a bad idea, but I would much rather spend the extra money on a bow that we know is good and is in good shape. I don't want to have to change strings out etc since that will cost around 100. Right now we are leaning towards the ignite, because it can grow with her, but I do want her to shoot other brands as well so she can choose what she prefers to shoot

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks guys....yesthe plan is to go to a place like autumn sky because I want her to be set up right. Craigslist isn't a bad idea, but I would much rather spend the extra money on a bow that we know is good and is in good shape. I don't want to have to change strings out etc since that will cost around 100. Right now we are leaning towards the ignite, because it can grow with her, but I do want her to shoot other brands as well so she can choose what she prefers to shoot

Diamond infinity does the same its rather lightweight too imo, Mathews craze is another that is adjustable.
    http://missionarchery.com/product/craze/

jmitche4

Jan 25, 2012
    I got the gf into a Bear Apprentice last year, very versatile bow, with a HUGE range of adjustments.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    My wife just got into archery a few months ago. I took her to a local shop and let her pick out the bow after shooting a couple. She ended up with a bear finesse. It's a short 28" axle bow that weighs 3lbs. It's a single cam so it's not the fastest but still plenty for deer hunting with a good fixed blade broadhead. She said she chose it over much more expensive bows because of how light it was.

redneckhunter

Mar 4, 2013
    i have a used mathews dxt for sale loaded with 2 sets of limbs and everything needed to start hunting and shooting pm me if your interested

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    +1 for the Bear Cruzer. I bought it through Amazon. Grouped it at 10 yards, adjusted the windage and now banging 4" groups at 30 yards.

Very lightweight and adjustable. Love this bow!

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012

Autumn Sky Outfitter's is the best bow shop I've ever dealt with. My family bought a new bow for me last year because my oldest daughter wanted to get into archery. I haven't had a bow for 20 years. They didn't buy it from Autumn Sky, but I took it there for adjustment and tuning and they didn't care where it came from. All of the guys there are great to talk with and they won't steer you wrong. While I was there, they sent me to their range and told me to have fun with it. They worked with my 10 year old daughter to find the right bow for her and one that will grow with her. They found it (Bear Apprentice 3), adjusted it, tuned it and sent her to the range also. Since then, she had Dan from ASO make her custom strings/cables, and tons of accessories. I have no affiliation with them for the good review, I'm just a big fan of their work and service. They also have a nice range in the basement.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I like this bow....

summer-13-sweet-pink-bow-back-39.jpg

euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    If it was me....

1. Determine budget.
    2. Ask when she wants to go. Make it a "date"
    3. Dont go to the creepy bow shop that has great prices
    4. Let her try and pick. Your only concern is monitoring #1

ymmv

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County

Somehow Montoya got a pic her in her pink bikini, Im not sure how he got that! :lol:

We actually decided and pick up the Hoyt Ignite from Autumn Sky Outfitters in Harford County. We have to to head back up tomorrow and pick up arrows and finish getting it all set up, since they were closing for the night when we bought it... Maybe ill Post some pics of her when she is shooting it it tommorow

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom