• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    So I sent in my app for the HQL on 1/5/16 and would like to get a full size 1911 in the not too distant future. Since I will just be getting into the game, I am not sure which would be the one to buy, considering there are so many variations brands etc. I am a fan of the GI model, without all the tactical rails etc.

Can you guys who own one already help me out with your recommendations on what I should be looking for in a 1911? What brands? etc

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Right now if I was to get into a new 1911 and had a bit extra cash to get something nicer than a bare bones, entry level 1911, I'd get the Springfield Ranger Officer's model. It's got a lot of upgrade goodies, looks great, but doesn't hurt the wallet too bad. That would be my first choice - it's got some frills that the GI models don't have, but all of them are good upgrades that IMO don't detract from the looks. Others' opinions may vary.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...28LP+1911+Range+Officer+7+1+45ACP+5\"+Package

PI9129LP_1200x782.png

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I am liking that Springfield Range officer model that's right about my price range as well. I was actually looking at a springfield at my local shop last week and liked the feel of it

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    To be fair, I'd like to get into a different 1911 as well - right now my only 1911 is a 1941 vintage Colt, but it was "demilled" at one point - the "United States Property" was ground off of it, so it's not really a collectible, and it has some mods that my Dad made to it - different grips, flat mainspring housing, lightweight trigger, and Wilson Combat sights. It's a decent shooter, but I'd like to get into something a bit newer. the RO model is on my short list for when that day comes.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I hope this isn't a giant photo........I went with the Colt Gov model 1980XSE.......I love it's looks a ton, loved the price, but admittedly haven't shot it yet so I can go any further. Sunday I can probably let you know how she shoots. For the record those aren't scratches just oil.....IPAD camera is some doo doo

It's a beauty though!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      110.9 KB · Views: 290

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Right now if I was to get into a new 1911 and had a bit extra cash to get something nicer than a bare bones, entry level 1911, I'd get the Springfield Ranger Officer's model. It's got a lot of upgrade goodies, looks great, but doesn't hurt the wallet too bad. That would be my first choice - it's got some frills that the GI models don't have, but all of them are good upgrades that IMO don't detract from the looks. Others' opinions may vary.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...28LP+1911+Range+Officer+7+1+45ACP+5\"+Package

PI9129LP_1200x782.png

I second the recommendation for the Range Officer...got one in 45 ACP last year and it is full of features for the price...freakishly accurate too...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I second the recommendation for the Range Officer...got one in 45 ACP last year and it is full of features for the price...freakishly accurate too...
    Every review I've read on the Springfield Range Officer mentions how accurate it is. And, IIRC, it's very reliable as well.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm starting to get an itch for another 1911. Currently have an old GI 1911 but want something new.
    Does anybody have any experience with the Ruger SR1911.
    That SA Range Officer looks mighty tempting too.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Every review I've read on the Springfield Range Officer mentions how accurate it is. And, IIRC, it's very reliable as well.

Only glitch I have found is my handloads of 200 gr lead SWC won't cycle when the temperature drops, so I had to switch recoil springs...other than that...perfection

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom