• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pope414

I don't know if this was addressed if it was I'm sorry. With the talk now of a new push by Rep. Richard Hudson (R-NC) for a ccw reciprocity bill my question is if signed by president trump how would that effect the "may issue " (no issue really) states like Maryland,New Jersey,New York ect. Say for example a New Jersey resident with a non resident Florida and Utah permits. Legally would the n.j resident be banned from carrying in their home state because n.j's justfiable need is impossible making a n.j ccw impossible. But the would be able to carry anywhere else in the United States and all non residents of n.j would be legal in n.j? .... I know it sounds confusing could any of our legal eagles explain this. Thanks

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    No worries, I see you are a new member. Welcome!

This has been discussed in the National Reciprocity thread, someone will post it here, if you can't find it.

I'm not closely tracking this issue anymore, not since it was dropped last time; but now looking much better again with Trump!

I think if it does pass (good chance), it will basicially make it so your state permit will be accepted by all other states; but will each state can still make it's own laws, that will apply more equally to all. Just like speed limits, or how they enforce offenses, etc.

Pope414

Thanks. Sorry I didn't realize it was addressed. It seems pretty convoluted that residents would be banned from carrying in their own state while nonresidents would be free to. Like I was saying New Jersey justifiable need is only attained if you were murdered, then you have a justifiable need but then you don't need it anymore ??? It seems like the only hope for justifible need states is a case like perulta v. San deigo going to the SCOTUS

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I don't know if this was addressed if it was I'm sorry. With the talk now of a new push by Rep. Richard Hudson (R-NC) for a ccw reciprocity bill my question is if signed by president trump how would that effect the "may issue " (no issue really) states like Maryland,New Jersey,New York ect. Say for example a New Jersey resident with a non resident Florida and Utah permits. Legally would the n.j resident be banned from carrying in their home state because n.j's justfiable need is impossible making a n.j ccw impossible. But the would be able to carry anywhere else in the United States and all non residents of n.j would be legal in n.j? .... I know it sounds confusing could any of our legal eagles explain this. Thanks

In a nutshell you're correct how this bill is supposed to work.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Thanks. Sorry I didn't realize it was addressed. It seems pretty convoluted that residents would be banned from carrying in their own state while nonresidents would be free to. Like I was saying New Jersey justifiable need is only attained if you were murdered, then you have a justifiable need but then you don't need it anymore ??? It seems like the only hope for justifible need states is a case like perulta v. San deigo going to the SCOTUS

I don't see either how Maryland could continue to prohibit its own citizens from carrying when citizens of other states can walk in freely and carry and they are no more entitled than Maryland's own residents. IANAL but sheesh, it seems to me that would be a good basis for a lawsuit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The 10A and the 14A along with Article IV can duke it out. I see it as a win if the 10A argument loses.

Brooklyn will disagree.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I don't see either how Maryland could continue to prohibit its own citizens from carrying when citizens of other states can walk in freely and carry and they are no more entitled than Maryland's own residents. IANAL but sheesh, it seems to me that would be a good basis for a lawsuit.

The question I ask when this comes up is, who do you file a lawsuit against? MD will say they have no part of it(which they'd be correct), the Federal government will say this only regulates non-residents' permits (IOW go sue MD for shall-issue permits).

IANAL but I'd like to hear exactly how such a scenario could work.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Again, IMO I think it depends on the way the legislation is written. If the Feds allow carry in home states on another state's permit, I'd look for a 10A challenge by MD against the Feds.

But IANAL or Brooklyn

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The 10A and the 14A along with Article IV can duke it out. I see it as a win if the 10A argument loses.

Brooklyn will disagree.

If it's written based on the coerce clause, the 10th would control, if written about privileges and immunities, citing Dred Scott's "arms wherever they went," then 2nd and 14th would control.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish

I have you heard the folks in the MGA speak on citizen carry??:mad54:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As I stated, it will totally depend on the language of the bill. I'm guessing they will not want a 10A fight and remove the ANY PERMIT language from the bill, preserving MD's right to continue to infringe on MD resident's rights while allowing non residents to carry. Then MD will be ripe for a 14A challenge if the MGA doesn't cave first and remove G&S as a requirent for a W&C permit.

Interesting times coming fellas and ladies.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

Think of it as LEOSA on steroids.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMO, National reciprocity is all but certain. While we may not do it here initially, M&M are gonna cry when out of staters start carrying with no blood running down the streets.

Their anguished cries will be like music to my ears.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN

More likely once National Reciprocity is passed. All the out of state permits go away. It would help people like me who live in Shall issue states but hurt people living in states like MD, NY, and NJ. Also there are lots of questions if area's will just ignore the law. Think FOPA it is supposed to protect people carry weapons across state lines but NJ and New York City pretty much ignore it. Depending on how the law is written I could easily see those places ignoring the CCW rights of people and arresting them and making them prove themselves not guilty same as they are doing now with people properly carrying under FOPA standards.

Thanks
    Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom