• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I know this is old news (Coyotes in Harford county) but I just heard a story I though that I would share. One of my Neighbors let their dog out in the back yard last night, and the dog never came back, wouldn't come when called etc. They went out searching the neighborhoods in the area with no luck. This morning, they found the dog dead (springer spaniel) in their back yard with its belly ripped open.

I have hunting property that backs up to the back of his woods, so I am hoping to have something on the game cameras.

Moral of the story, make sure you watch your dogs at night time if you let them out

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    update - Just got a text that another dog in the neighbor was also killed, it was a small poodle type dog im not sure of the breed, in the same neighborhood though in the not far from jones junction

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I have a graphic pic of a fox killed by a coyote. It was skinned out to take the pic showing the injuries. It was my 1st fox ever that was killed by a coyote after being caught in one of my traps. I would imagine the same injuries on the fox would be like what happened to the dog. I'll post the pic if allowed. The fox's belly was ripped into as part of the injuries. And no, I have not caught the coyote or any coyotes at that farm after getting the dead fox. I tried, but the next time it rolled through it missed the trap and pooped behind my backing. I then caught another fox there, on coyote gland and coyote urine. But that fox was alive and intact.

There are def a lot of coyotes in Harford now. I have another farm to trap, where the neighbor heard a coyote right out back of his house recently, and there is a pack of coyotes right on the edge of Havre de Grace, that howl almost every night. It's a farm that has been around since 1600 something, but I cannot trap it due to the deer hunters there. My new trapping buddy is a tenant there, and even he isn't allowed to trap. But they got one of his pet ducks recently and he is now mad and going to night hunt them as soon as shotgun season is over. They will let him do that at least. It's in the best interest of the deer hunters to get rid of some coyotes anyway to keep the loss of fawns down. My buddy told me of another nearby property where they won't let a trapper or predator hunter in there, but then bitch about seeing way less deer due to coyotes. SMH...

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    BTW these 2 roadkills were found in Baltimore county on rt 40 somewhere around where the Gunpowder park is, in the White Marsh area. 42 pounds each on my digital scale. Both males.

Attachments

• beefyyoterdkill.jpg
      beefyyoterdkill.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 2,644
    • coyoteroadkill1jan92016.jpg
      coyoteroadkill1jan92016.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 2,109

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Chesapeake, looks like we got ourselves a date night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I have a graphic pic of a fox killed by a coyote. It was skinned out to take the pic showing the injuries. It was my 1st fox ever that was killed by a coyote after being caught in one of my traps. I would imagine the same injuries on the fox would be like what happened to the dog. I'll post the pic if allowed. The fox's belly was ripped into as part of the injuries. And no, I have not caught the coyote or any coyotes at that farm after getting the dead fox. I tried, but the next time it rolled through it missed the trap and pooped behind my backing. I then caught another fox there, on coyote gland and coyote urine. But that fox was alive and intact.

There are def a lot of coyotes in Harford now. I have another farm to trap, where the neighbor heard a coyote right out back of his house recently, and there is a pack of coyotes right on the edge of Havre de Grace, that howl almost every night. It's a farm that has been around since 1600 something, but I cannot trap it due to the deer hunters there. My new trapping buddy is a tenant there, and even he isn't allowed to trap. But they got one of his pet ducks recently and he is now mad and going to night hunt them as soon as shotgun season is over. They will let him do that at least. It's in the best interest of the deer hunters to get rid of some coyotes anyway to keep the loss of fawns down. My buddy told me of another nearby property where they won't let a trapper or predator hunter in there, but then bitch about seeing way less deer due to coyotes. SMH...

That's some good infomation, I really didn't realize there were that many of them, we actually have not seen much deer action in the past weeks so I'm thinking this might be the cause.

Yeah I don't understand why they wouldn't want a trapper or predator hunter there, I guess they will sing a different tune when one of their pets gets killed

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I'm in the same general area and twice this yr I've seen coyote scat. Our dog goes out on the leash at night so no worries that way. It is something to keep a look out for. A month ago I did lose 19 chickens when I went camping with the boy scouts and didn't lock the coop before I left. I blamed that on the foxes though, I've seen them in daylight chasing the birds.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I'm in the same general area and twice this yr I've seen coyote scat. Our dog goes out on the leash at night so no worries that way. It is something to keep a look out for. A month ago I did lose 19 chickens when I went camping with the boy scouts and didn't lock the coop before I left. I blamed that on the foxes though, I've seen them in daylight chasing the birds.

Ok yeah i have not even thought to look out for coyote scat but I will be now, my sister lost about 12 chickens last spring she lives in the same area as well and we figured it was fox as well, maybe it's time to put a game cam on the chicken coops

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I'll answer.. Yr round, 6 months of the yr its legal to hunt em at night but I can't tell off the top of my head which 1/2 of the yr

Ok yeah didn't know about the night hunting for 6 months, thanks for information I'll have to look it up the details on DNR if we do go out. Although,f I'm as lucky as hunting deer as I would be hunting coyotes, I most likely won't see any coyotes :(

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Off of old Joppa road - Exeter green

Oh, wow! I did know they were down this far, but I guess being that close to the Gun Powder makes it convenient. I am off of Whitaker Mill and Old Joppa and could have sworn I say coyote prints in my driveway. I have a larger dog, 80lbs, and a smaller one. They usually go out together and my yard is fenced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom