• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have seen a few along the RT 7 corridor between Abingdon Road and RT24. Never came close to the house but they were easily within rifle range. No neighborhood dogs have been killed, but very few yards have fences, so it could happen.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Oh, wow! I did know they were down this far, but I guess being that close to the Gun Powder makes it convenient. I am off of Whitaker Mill and Old Joppa and could have sworn I say coyote prints in my driveway. I have a larger dog, 80lbs, and a smaller one. They usually go out together and my yard is fenced.

Oh ok yeah I know exactly where you are I have lived my whole life in this area, the chicken coop I mentioned is about a half mile from the 4 way stop, we have two larger labs 80 pounders as well so I'm not sure a coyote would come there way but you never know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Oh ok yeah I know exactly where you are I have lived my whole life in this area, the chicken coop I mentioned is about a half mile from the 4 way stop, we have two larger labs 80 pounders as well so I'm not sure a coyote would come there way but you never know

Are you Chesapeake Iron on Rt 40? I used to deal with them years ago. A guy named Scott I believe.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Have friends that live near 23 & 165 and had one run thru his yard couple weeks ago.

165 is Darlington Rd, right? They are all over the whole area. Plenty of red foxes too, which is weird as anything, as usually coyotes kill them off/run them out to where you would only find red foxes in towns. I guess this region has so many red foxes that the coyotes can't keep up with them lol. I'd say the reds have learned how to live around coyotes and pass the knowledge on to their pups. How else can I catch a bunch of red foxes with coyote sign all over the place?

Pics are coyote track in snow ( was in the alley behind my house of all places), yote track in mud, and yote poop behind my set, the same set the one fox was killed in by a yote. It is basically like fox poop but a bit bigger.

Attachments

• coyotetrackmaybeHDGb.JPG
      coyotetrackmaybeHDGb.JPG
      47 KB · Views: 541
    • coyotetracksskillman2.jpg
      coyotetracksskillman2.jpg
      141.9 KB · Views: 549
    • coyotevisitssetandpoops.jpg
      coyotevisitssetandpoops.jpg
      202.8 KB · Views: 679

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

Then you must remember when Exeter Green was a driveway back to the old farmhouse and the redlight at the top of the hill was a stop sign on an island with a yield sign heading up to Fallston.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Then you must remember when Exeter Green was a driveway back to the old farmhouse and the redlight at the top of the hill was a stop sign on an island with a yield sign heading up to Fallston.

The farmhouse is still there, but it's been renovated. It's definitely a different here area now then in years past

I was just a youngster then, I'm 32 now and your talking probably 30 years ago

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Definitely different, way more traffic now. I thought it was neat they renovated the old house instead of tearing it down when the developed it. I've got 20 some years on you and can remember when 152 was a lot less busy also.

Presumptuous

Awesome Member
    Aug 17, 2016
    Suburbia
    I live in Columbia, and I've heard them yipping and saw one slinking down my neighbor's driveway to head back into the woods. I'm glad my cats live indoors.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Ok, so I got a new place to trap today just outside of town, and the landowner tells me he has shot 8 or 9 coyotes in about the last 4 years. It's near 95, the state park, and the river. There must be a lot of coyotes in the state park. However the place is also full of red foxes. The landowner is seeing about me trapping another farm nearby owned by a relative, and mentioned that he knows other people around who might be interested. With all this comes intel on the coyote situation. These #'s of coyotes are so far not impacting the deer much overall. Oh yeah, there are wild turkeys in this area too. I am always hearing from hunters in other states going on about how the deer #'s have plummeted and how many turkeys coyotes kill. Maybe they have something like 4x as many coyotes as here, I don't know.

If anyone here knows of any farmlands not far from me that have issues with fox and coyotes, and any farms around here with beaver problems, and otters eating up fish stock in ponds, let me know. Tis the season for happy trapping. Note: I need places I can set that are 150 yds from nearby occupied Peta type/nasty horsey people dwellings. The 150yd rule also applies to trapping.

Darlington, Havre de Grace, Aberdeen, Perryville, Churchville

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I live in Columbia, and I've heard them yipping and saw one slinking down my neighbor's driveway to head back into the woods. I'm glad my cats live indoors.

HAHAHAHA! Not for your cats, but the area you are in. They passed some sort of trapping ban there not all too many years ago, as a reaction to a fox a nuisance trapper had caught that was near an apt complex or something or another. Not sure if the ban can be enforced with a lisc'd nuisance trapper, but you know they would try. I am sure the ban has to do with footholds and snares ( snares are allowed in Howard co still as far as I know). How do you catch coyotes? Cage traps? NOOOOO! They are too smart to go into them 99% of the time. No, you catch them with...footholds and snares. So I hope all those Columbia people who got their little ban passed are happy when a coyote eats their Fifi. On a side note, back in the early 2000's there was a coyote situation in Rockville and a nuisance trapper was hired who caught 17 coyotes. I understand that there were a lot of peta types wringing their hands over it. Yes, the trapper used footholds.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Don't forget about the Red Wolf. They look a lot like the coyote. Some say they aren't any in Maryland, but I wouldn't doubt they may be in and around the APG area.

hoythunter

Dec 8, 2015
    Harford County
    Coyotes have taken over APG and deer numbers have plummeted over the past few years. We see them playing around in the fields in the middle of the day. Early bow season a buddy had one chase a doe around his stand. We routinely hear packs of them yelping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom